Stranger slaps toddler for crying in Wal-Mart

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A perfect example of where people are at with their kids is this. I can't tell you how many stories I hear at work of people having birthday parties for their kids. Not just kids though. I am talking about 1 year old babies! They rent out parks, and other places to throw elaborate parties. One lady even took 2 days off work that wasn't scheduled either because she had to "prepare" for the party. Talk about selfish. Can anyone with children please explain this to me? I find the whole thing to be rather disgusting. :lol

Wait till that baby turns 16 and she'll have this......

https://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/sweet_16/series.jhtml

If you had a one year old child would you not have a birthday party for him/her?

Sure Frank. However, I wouldn't invite 30 to 50 people. I just don't undertand. :dunno Why can't you just buy a cake? Don't get me wrong I understand birthday parties when they are in pre-school and you want to have all the kids and such. But 1? Elaborate party? It seems it's not really a Birthday party but more of an adult get together. So is it a birthday party? I don't think so. I don't really care what others do and of course people can do what they want. I just think it's a bit extreme. I also think it shows how children today can be spoiled. Dusty I am not saying that is you or that anyone here does that. However, I get to see this kids grow up and come into work and throw fits and all that fun stuff. I don't know. I am rambling and need to leave work soon. :lol

Sure Frank. However, I wouldn't invite 30 to 50 people. I just don't undertand. :dunno Why can't you just buy a cake? Don't get me wrong I understand birthday parties when they are in pre-school and you want to have all the kids and such. But 1? Elaborate party? It seems it's not really a Birthday party but more of an adult get together. So is it a birthday party? I don't think so. I don't really care what others do and of course people can do what they want. I just think it's a bit extreme. I also think it shows how children today can be spoiled. Dusty I am not saying that is you or that anyone here does that. However, I get to see this kids grow up and come into work and throw fits and all that fun stuff. I don't know. I am rambling and need to leave work soon. :lol

Got it. I thought you were saying there's no point in having a birthday party for a one year old since they don't know what's going on.

Oh I caught that show years ago. I wanted to slap the ^^^^ out of everyone on the show. :D
If I had a child that turned out similar to those people on MTV, I would completely disown her. You know the worst part for me? Hearing someone say, "I knoooow, it's like, y'know, like, y'know the best thing about like, y'know, like. . .y'know?" I want to strangle those people.

Got it. I thought you were saying there's no point in having a birthday party for a one year old since they don't know what's going on.

Oh heck no! My point is the whole going all out stuff. I have pics of me with my parents all caked up. Same thing we did for my nephew. Kids and Cake = Awesome! :horror:D

I have to disagree with you. It's the preschool-age birthday parties that make them bratty. I invited a ton of people the the 1-year party, but will NOT be having big parties for any other birthdays. Spoil him now, and he won't remember... spoil him when he's 3 and he will come to expect it. Take your chance while you can ;)

Same with Disneyland - we go ALL THE TIME now (he went over 10 times in his first year). But once he hits 3... nope, he's cut off (and not only because that's when they start charging for him :lol). Maybe we'll go once a year, if we still live in the area. Right now, it's a GREAT place for him - so much to see and learn. Action, lights, people, smells, tastes... it's all a learning experience right now. But once he hits that 'preschool' age, then it becomes more of a 'spoilage' issue.

And no, I did not have the party more for me than for him. It was mostly for him, with a little bit of me thrown in. 1-year-olds are very aware of their surroundings. It was AMAZING to him to have all those people in his house and yard... people he normally only sees outside the home. You should have seen the look of pure awe on his face when 35 people sang him happy birthday... it was priceless. At this point in his life he has NO IDEA that it's all for him, so there's no real chance of spoilage (that comes closer to the 2-year-old birthday). He just loves the experiences. It was 100% worth it because it was the one and only chance we had to give him that experience without it being an issue.

1-year-olds are much more aware than many people realize. They may not remember later in life, but everything in that first year helps to shape who they become.

Last edited:
Sideshow Dusty said:
I also do not really understand the insane structured and 'kid-oriented' birthday parties for 1-year-olds.

That's what I was talking about. I have a big family and we all lived closer together when I was an infant, so I know my first birthday had a ton of adults haveing a damn good time. I was probably enamored by the attention too. If you make a big deal out of a baby, the baby gets it. A birthday party is the first experience like that and it's awesome.

But I still don't buy the social interaction thing. I was much more interested in what adults were doing as a toddler. Little kids usually annoyed the hell out of me because 9 times out of 10, they were obnoxious brats.

I'm also the oldest of four, and I'm still the smartest of us. Feel free to make the case for my social maladjustment though. :lol

As a mother who just threw a party for her 1-year-old, I can comment....

1. Making it through the first year is an amazing feat. I really can't expect anyone who doesn't have children to understand, but that first year of being a parent is THE HARDEST THING YOU HAVE EVER DONE OR EVER WILL DO (if you are doing it right). And it's not very easy on the kid either.

2. The fact is (most) people love babies and embrace any excuse to celebrate them. More people (adults) came to his birthday party than to my own birthday party... and that makes me happy because I want him to grow up surrounded by friends and family!

3. I wanted an excuse to have a party. After 1 year of being home everyday mothering a child, I needed some fun and social interaction for myself!

That being said, our 1-year-birthday party was a simple backyard barbecue with mostly adults in attendance, drinking margaritas and conversing. If they happened to have kids, they brought them, and I had some toys and games outside for them. And balloons. Kids love balloons, sidewalk chalk, and balls. Anything more is overkill. I also do not really understand the insane structured and 'kid-oriented' birthday parties for 1-year-olds.

Also, social interaction is VERY VERY VERY important for kids 0-3 years old. Second only to good nutrition. It's the time when the brain is doing the most. And the only way they learn is through observation and interaction. If they are at home all day with the same person, day in and day out, they aren't gonna learn much. It's not like you can teach them how to add and subtract or discuss philosophy yet. Heck, they don't even really 'play' with toys yet at age 1 - they study them and sometimes try to figure out how they work, but mostly they just want to chew on them.

But they learn TONS when watching social interactions. Watching their parents say please, thank you, hello, goodbye, and conversing with other people is much more beneficial than any 'baby einstein' product.

And they learn best from watching their peers. It's fact. I can spend all day trying to get my son to point to something in a book or interact with a toy in a certain way with no results, but as soon as he watches his friend do it, he's an expert. It's even better if the peer is a little bit older and more advanced - that's why second children hit their milestones and start speaking earlier than first children (in general)... they have someone more their size to interact with and learn from.

It also teaches them how to deal with life when things don't always go the way they want them to. If they spend too much time with only 1 or 2 people, they get "set in their ways"....This is the way mommy does it, so this is the way it must be done ALL THE TIME, etc. That's why kids are bratty these days - way too much "mommy time"! If they spend time with other people, they learn early in life that there are many ways of doing things, so they become less inclined to throw hissy fits if something is 'different'.

All of these reasons are why quality daycare and preschool are very important, IF you can afford them. (unfortunately our family cannot, so I try to get my son the interaction he needs in different ways - swimming lessons, visits to zoos, parks, malls, the Sideshow office, Comic-Con, going to parties, etc)

Not only that, kids who aren't placed in social situations and introduced to a plethora of new experiences during those early formative years tend to have much higher instances of depression, anxiety, weight issues and more.

So, yes, social interaction is ESSENTIAL for a developing 1-year-old! :)

And there was no group invitation posted on the Freaks' boards? I hardly think it would have taken more than say....a month to clean up the devastation. There are companies that specialize in that.

Back