read the fine print carefully

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s29sprintcarfan

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I just made the biggest mistake since I started shopping online by not completely reading the dealers description at the end of his spread on ebay for a pre order Hot Toys Guardians of the Galaxy Starlord figure box set, This will be a gift to introduce my daughter to the world of 1/6 figures, so I foolishly paid the $ 150 pre order price to a Chinese trader without a thought, then after that I got a paypal invoice for another $ 200 which I thought would be to finalize the order as I had seen them for around this price from other sellers, so I pay that one as well, only to get another email stating I will need to pay another $ 300 plus postage cost to finalise my purchase, this had me outraged so I contacted the trader and told him I though his price was extreme compared to other traders offering this figure as a pre order purchase, in his reply he made apologies for the $300 invoice and that I only need to pay $200 plus postage for finalisation, he went on to say that the final cost was in his item description that I have agreed to, which is where I made the huge mistake of not reading all fine print, after going back to the ebay listing there it was in black and white fine print the final payment figure $ 550 plus postage. Noticing that he has a no returns on deposit clause in the description as well. It seems I will have to pay the penalty for being so careless and pay the price to get my daughter her gift. My own stupidity has cost me a small fortune for a gift for a loved one. So all I can say is read the fine print people :slap

I wouldn't preorder figures off ebay away.

I think there is a 30 day window that the item has to be in hand in according to ebay. You might be able to get out of that.

And yea, always read what you are getting.

Yeah I made that mistake once or twice myself - fortunately not with pre-orders and it wasn't nearly the money you're talking about. But I always read the full description.

Also, as a seller myself, I prefer people read the whole description - I don't try to hide anything and I do my best to be as up front and accurate as possible. But I know how everything is so rush-rush today, and we've probably all done something in haste and regretted it after. That's how I learned it's not worth being hasty. Also, there is sometimes a cost for the seller too - I've refunded people their money before when they've been decent about how they approached me, even when it meant I took a loss on the shipping. But depending on the situation, I've also refunded people minus the shipping cost since it's not fair to the seller to pay for the buyer's mistake either.

For what it's worth, I advertise no refunds or returns, but in a situation where the buyer didn't read the full description (especially if it was an item that hadn't shipped yet) I would refund him his money - and I have done this several times. It's not fun to have to let go of several hundred dollars when you have it in hand already, but it's definitely worth it because I wouldn't want any unhappy customers, I'd rather refund when it's reasonable to do. So I'd say ask for a refund, you have nothing to lose - and if he's an honest seller then he will refund you your money since it hasn't shipped yet. If he doesn't refund you, then you'll know he doesn't care about his customers and I'd warn people of that fact. But the nicer you can approach him at the beginning, the more likelihood you'll get a refund. A friend of mine recently got a refund from an airline - it was a situation where normally they wouldn't give refunds, and the airline policy was "no refunds" on the type of ticket he had. But he fell ill several weeks before his flight and wouldn't be able to use the ticket, so he called - and he was very nice about it. The lady told him that she wouldn't have given him a refund but he was so nice, she decided to help him out. So niceness and respect definitely can make a difference at least some of the time.

I do hope it works out for you, and hopefully the seller will do the right thing and refund you.

Cheers,
Ken

I wouldn't preorder figures off ebay away.

I think there is a 30 day window that the item has to be in hand in according to ebay. You might be able to get out of that.

And yea, always read what you are getting.

It might be 45 for international, but since they're not suppose to put things up for pre-sell that far from release date, he might get out of it. I'd call eBay and find out.

I just made the biggest mistake since I started shopping online by not completely reading the dealers description at the end of his spread on ebay for a pre order Hot Toys Guardians of the Galaxy Starlord figure box set, This will be a gift to introduce my daughter to the world of 1/6 figures, so I foolishly paid the $ 150 pre order price to a Chinese trader without a thought, then after that I got a paypal invoice for another $ 200 which I thought would be to finalize the order as I had seen them for around this price from other sellers, so I pay that one as well, only to get another email stating I will need to pay another $ 300 plus postage cost to finalise my purchase, this had me outraged so I contacted the trader and told him I though his price was extreme compared to other traders offering this figure as a pre order purchase, in his reply he made apologies for the $300 invoice and that I only need to pay $200 plus postage for finalisation, he went on to say that the final cost was in his item description that I have agreed to, which is where I made the huge mistake of not reading all fine print, after going back to the ebay listing there it was in black and white fine print the final payment figure $ 550 plus postage. Noticing that he has a no returns on deposit clause in the description as well. It seems I will have to pay the penalty for being so careless and pay the price to get my daughter her gift. My own stupidity has cost me a small fortune for a gift for a loved one. So all I can say is read the fine print people :slap

I wonder if there's any way you can get a refund by talking to Ebay's customer service. If the print font was small that you couldn't see it, and if it was hidden away somewhere on the page, then that's a problem that the seller might have to take responsibility for. It wouldn't hurt to give Ebay a call.

It might be 45 for international, but since they're not suppose to put things up for pre-sell that far from release date, he might get out of it. I'd call eBay and find out.

:goodpost:.

Oddly, I didn't see your message above mine. Completely agreed on that!

Last edited:
You're fine. Report him to ebay and get your money back.

What he's doing isn't allowed. He's circumventing paying ebay a full percentage of his sale by using hidden fees they won't see sent. It violates there tos.

Yep, as others have said eBay will side with you and even though you didn't read the description this is a shady deal all around. Get your money back and don't have any guilt over that as the seller sounds like a POS out to gouge unsuspecting buyers.

Its an easy out for you. I believe that The terms of sale conflict with ebay policies. He is charging you outside of ebay thus causing a loss of profit to ebay. You can report this and get out if this deal.

loss of profit to ebay.

Avoiding this is the driving force behind every single rule and restriction they devise at eBay. This dirtbag seller is taking the food out of their starving mouths, they will destroy him. Oh, and they'll get you back your money in the process.

eBay really does seem to hate sellers. At least, they hate sellers who don't jam up 10,000 cheap pieces of Chinese drop-ship trash a day for 12 cents a pop with free shipping that sell like crazy and make them gobs of cash.

'Stupid tax' is any fine you pay for a lesson in how not to be an idiot. I've paid my fair share. Sounds like yours has come due.

I wouldn't take it to Ebay. He put the terms in the agreement. You signed-up for this, you just didn't read what you signed. Betcha won't do that again. A couple hundred dollars isn't a bad price for that lesson, though. Could be worse.

I would leave him feedback about the fine print thing to warn future buyers.

SnakeDoc

Back