Stockmarket

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snookie

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Anyone else here invest in stocks and What online investment services do you use? I've been using E-Trade but I'm looking into switching due to price.

And which stocks are investing in? I've mainly concentrated in tech stocks.

I do a lot of investing. As for brokers, I would recommend either tdameritrade or Charles Schwab.

Honestly unless you have sustained interest in finance and economics, stay away from individual stocks and focus on a diversified range of funds. About a third of skilled investors can beat the market, meaning even among experts most cannot.

Tech stocks are volatile. And never forget their price reflects often not merely whether they are profitable, but whether they are more profitable than the market expectation of their profitability, as of which Google's dip last week is a perfect example.

The market is shaky right now. We could have a mini crash or we could stagnate for a period. On the one hand the earnings behind the last few years of stock increases are real, but there a lot of weak signs in the economies of both the West and China. It is hard for even seasoned investors to tell what will happen. I see no basis for a bubble-type crash as in 2008, but that does not mean all is well.

By the way, welcome from a woman who also grew up reading Excalibur (Kitty Pryde FTW), X-Men, etc. Fortunately my mother read superhero comics as a girl and thought it was perfectly normal (no brothers to lead the way).

Silver and gold bullion for me, the more dollars they print the stronger the precious metals get.

I do a lot of investing. As for brokers, I would recommend either tdameritrade or Charles Schwab.

Tech stocks are volatile. And never forget their price reflects often not merely whether they are profitable, but whether they are more profitable than the market expectation of their profitability, as of which Google's dip last week is a perfect example.

By the way, welcome from a woman who also grew up reading Excalibur (Kitty Pryde FTW), X-Men, etc. Fortunately my mother read superhero comics as a girl and thought it was perfectly normal (no brothers to lead the way).

Thanks! I'll look into those. I'm not from the US so at that time, eTrade was my only option as they have an office that handles investors in Asia.

The main reason I invested in tech is because I'm a Comp Sci major and its really the only type of stock I'm comfortable with. I just log in daily to adjust my stops so as to not lose profit----the only problem with that is I rarely have a long position. AAPL has been great for me, I bought in at $338 and when it reached $700, I dumped everything. GOOG has snapped me in the arse a few times (especially during earnings season) so I haven't touched that stock in a good while. China tech stocks, mainly BIDU, SINA and SOHU have been runners that I pick up every now and then but as you've said, there's definitely no stability. I tell you, it's downright crazy and fishy because our newspapers here keep headlining that China is where the money is while the Wallstreet Journal keeps highlighting the slow in growth. So basically I've refused to depend on the news and concentrate more on insider trading and watching the trading volume.

If you don't mind my asking, what do you invest in?

Its great meeting other females who grew up reading comics :) I never had a the privilege as my friends grew up with Sweet Valley and BOP magazine :wink1: Your mother sounds awesome. I had to hide reading the comics like it was a dirty magazine :D

Silver and gold bullion for me, the more dollars they print the stronger the precious metals get.

Have you ever invested in platinum?

So basically I've refused to depend on the news

:lecture

If you're a trader, which it sounds like you are, and you've done your homework, the news should be used to reinforce your high's/low's. Nothing else.

If you can get your hands on TDAmeritrade Thinkorswim I would highly recommend it. You might be able to open an account for practice trading, utilizing your regular account in E-Trade to execute the trades.

If you're a good enough trader, I would also venture into leveraged ETFs. Make sure you practice, though. Unlike Trix, they're not for kids.

Have you ever invested in platinum?

Nope, I just stick to gold and silver. Mostly coins but some bars just for varity sake. I have no doubt gold will reach $3500 a ounce in the near future and silver is massively depressed in value as of right now. Almost all countries save the United States are hoarding as much gold and silver as possible, national debt, QE to infinity, market manipulation, world economy fears, and a few other things all make me feel safe about being invested in gold and silver. It's real money, just because a politician said it wasn't for political reason doesn't make it so.

Think of it this way, say your grandfather put a $20 bill and a $20 gold liberty in a drawer and years later you discover these. Whats worth more? The $20 bill is still a $20 bill, the gold $20 coin is worth minimum $1720(as of this moment).

good to see someone is awake and is getting away from the fraudulent monetary system

good to see someone is awake and is getting away from the fraudulent monetary system

Oh I've been well informed for years now, it's gonna be sad when the general public gets hit with this cause right now they don't see it coming.

Nope, I just stick to gold and silver. Mostly coins but some bars just for varity sake. I have no doubt gold will reach $3500 a ounce in the near future and silver is massively depressed in value as of right now. Almost all countries save the United States are hoarding as much gold and silver as possible, national debt, QE to infinity, market manipulation, world economy fears, and a few other things all make me feel safe about being invested in gold and silver. It's real money, just because a politician said it wasn't for political reason doesn't make it so.

Think of it this way, say your grandfather put a $20 bill and a $20 gold liberty in a drawer and years later you discover these. Whats worth more? The $20 bill is still a $20 bill, the gold $20 coin is worth minimum $1720(as of this moment).

:lecture this man gets it

another example- back in 1964 two silver dimes (20 cents) bought you a gallon of gas,TODAY,the same two silver dimes (20 cents) buy you a gallon of gas plus more...

it's not that Silver that has went up in value,it's because of a devalued dollar (which is created from nothing and backed by nothing)

Gold and Silver is REAL money! History has always shown that all Fiat currencies eventual Fail and go bankrupt,so for now,they are going to keep the ponzie scheme going.

Many here complain about higher prices of their toys (and other things) blaming it on labor and rising cost of materials.Yes,It's because the Dollar has lost and is still losing its purchasing power,hence the constant Inflation and higher prices we are continually seeing.

:lol

I'll agree that gold is a good asset to have in your investment allocation, but you gold bugs better pay attention to historical economics a little better. Pegging to gold (or any "currency") doesn't work, and if the QE spicket is turned down or interest rates rise, I would watch out with gold prices.

Here's some reading for you in the meantime...

https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...orlds-worst-economic-idea-in-2-charts/261552/

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/golden-instability/

I can't really afford gold coins currently, but I've always had an interest in Silver American Eagles. I usually pick them up incased NGC MS 69. I used to have the set back a few years ago....

Wish I hoarded them when they were 15 - 20 a piece. Minus the 1996's.

I'll agree that gold is a good asset to have in your investment allocation, but you gold bugs better pay attention to historical economics a little better. Pegging to gold (or any "currency") doesn't work, and if the QE spicket is turned down or interest rates rise, I would watch out with gold prices.

Here's some reading for you in the meantime...

https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...orlds-worst-economic-idea-in-2-charts/261552/

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/golden-instability/

Gold and Silver has been used as money for over 5,000 years and has NEVER gone bankrupt

Historically-Paper Fiat currency has always failed and eventually goes bankrupt.(first starts inflation,which we are seeing now,then to hyperinflation, to total bankruptcy/failure)

I can't really afford gold coins currently, but I've always had an interest in Silver American Eagles. I usually pick them up incased NGC MS 69. I used to have the set back a few years ago....

Wish I hoarded them when they were 15 - 20 a piece. Minus the 1996's.

Gold is for Kings, and is stored and hoarded

Silver is the working/common man's metal and is more affordable,among that it is being used up in industries (Electronics and Medical)

Silver is undervalued and is being consumed to possibly to the point that it becomes rarer than gold.

Best "potential" long term investment is Silver

Gold and Silver has been used as money for over 5,000 years and has NEVER gone bankrupt

Historically-Paper Fiat currency has always failed and eventually goes bankrupt.(first starts inflation,which we are seeing now,then to hyperinflation, to total bankruptcy/failure)

Please point to a time in the modern economy where gold was used successfully as a currency. You can't. Sorry.

Oh, and show me where pegging a currency also was successful. :lol

Please point to a time in the modern economy where gold was used successfully as a currency. You can't. Sorry.

:thud: Gold and Silver has been used for over 5,000 years as a monetary value exhange and barter.The fact it was used as money since its discovery and Gold and Silver have a value thats being traded daily today and is hoarded by governments (that says alot)

Since the government then also minted US circulated coins in 90% Silver before they took it away in 1964...

Gold and Silver is not used as currency today because you (and the people) have been duped into believing paper is money...

but the fundamentals have not changed,you just choose to not want to believe that.Fiat is based on confidence,based on debt! each Federal reserve note represents a debt,an IOU,as stated on the bill "this note is legal tender for ALL DEBTS,public and private"

Thomas Jefferson said it best "“Paper is poverty,… it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself.”

China is buying oil from Iran with gold.
https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/report-iran-bypassing-sanctions-redefining-163000858.html

And then you have things like this https://www.cnbc.com/id/49540593 other countries want gold stored here back, they don't trust us.

Gold may not work for you and that's fine but it's working great for me and my friends and family.

Back