Still No Joe?????

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lessons learned:

1) Don't put all your faith in message board rumors.

2) Even IF it's been in the works 'forever' that in no way means that anything is ready for debut immediately.

3) Never serve a wine, or in this case a license, before it's time. ;)

I understand that Dusty but the Star Wars or Indy Announcements didn't promise a Q3 release either did they?

That's a good point. But remember, Hasbro has a lot of say in this as well. It's THEIR license ultimately... they're just (thankfully, for us) allowing Sideshow to make figures much better than they ever could. It's a little different than the SW or INDY licenses where Sideshow essentially gets blessing from Lucasfilm Licensing (though that can present a whole slew of fun in and of itself)... with G.I. JOE, they're basically producing high-end toys based on mass market toys that are IP of the original mass market toy company (phew! Say that fast 3 times). I have to imagine there's some interesting politics involved with that.

Last edited:
Hehehe....Dusty quoted my post.

Jeez....I posted that a while ago still no announcement? :D:monkey1

I understand that Dusty but the Star Wars or Indy Announcements didn't promise a Q3 release either did they?

If you're referring to our press release, I took it to mean that prototypes would be ready to show off in 3rd Quarter? I honestly don't know much more than you guys do at this point as to when to expect them, but I just automatically assumed that's what it meant... :confused:

If you're referring to our press release, I took it to mean that prototypes would be ready to show off in 3rd Quarter? I honestly don't know much more than you guys do at this point as to when to expect them, but I just automatically assumed that's what it meant... :confused:

Actually it said shipping in Q3 of 2008. At least that's how I'd interpret this line...

The figures are expected to release beginning in 3rd Quarter 2008, with retail prices starting at $79.99.

Last edited:
Actually it said shipping in Q3 of 2008. At least that's how I'd interpret this line...

But 'release' typically means 'solicit' in my past experience with the wording on these things... 'solicit' meaning pre-ordering / all details 'released' to the public, not shipping.

Ah, who knows with these things - it's always too complicated for me to get caught up in, and so many things change at the drop of a hat that it's confusing to keep track of it all - I'm sure it's even worse on the creative side :lol

But 'release' typically means 'solicit' in my past experience with the wording on these things... 'solicit' meaning pre-ordering / all details 'released' to the public, not shipping.

spin_bike.jpg

:monkey3 :lol

J/K, Dusty. We all know you're the best. :duff

If you're referring to our press release, I took it to mean that prototypes would be ready to show off in 3rd Quarter?
Well that would suck if we have to wait until 3rd quarter to place pre-orders. That means we would will have to wait at least 10 months before we get them in hand:monkey2

so I guess release Q3 means.. prototypes to be veiwed for SDCC and in hand in 2009!!! :rock :banghead

Thanks for clearing that up, seriously. I'd much rather know that the *previews* are Q3 rather than checking the newsletter like an idiot four times a month until then.

Just out of curiousity, why so much downtime between license announcement and previews/preorders? Simple building of anticipation or is there another reason?

Just out of curiousity, why so much downtime between license announcement and previews/preorders? Simple building of anticipation or is there another reason?

Can't really go into details because 1) don't know many and 2) don't want to get in trouble, but it's a crazy conundrum. We REALLY want to shout it to the rooftops as soon as we GET a license, but then the wait time would be a TON longer. Let's just say there's a very large number of details to get worked out from point A (yay, we got it!) to point B (here's the fully approved first figure), *especially* with high profile IPs that have been protected for years. So many different variables that it can truly make one's head spin :wacky

It is in no way simply a matter of sculpting/clothing something and saying, 'Here it is!' Believe me when I say that Sideshow always try to do it right (not just the artistic side, but the business and marketing side too - trying to please as many different groups as possible), which takes time!

I'm debateing getting a few more of the gijoe 25th annaversery figures to hold me over till sideshow puts theirs out. got room on the smaller shelf. the only question is do i want to spend the money. Only got the cobra 5pack so far....
I guess i could use Tomz and Xamot... if i can find them. Snake Eyes As well... ( Visor version for me thanks) A surpentor would be worth snagging... and Got to have shipwreck ( Childhood thing) But are there any others That i should snag i wonder.....

So release meant preview......so shipping will mean order? :lol

That sux but at least I don't have to ^^^^^ every newsletter about no Joe anymore....

Thanks Dusty.

Oh and make sure the white guys are painted like white guys and the black guys like black guys :p

Back