Statue came broken by USPS and claim denied what can I do?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
insurance is totally useless unless your package gets lost. they will always deny any damage claim relating to breakable items. i've had 7 broken statues so far but i've got them fixed for a fraction.

Did you pay via credit card through paypal? If so lodge a dispute with your credit card company.

Edit: On another note, your thread has made me do something I should have done as soon as I received them. I just went out to the garage (temporary storage while between homes) and opened all my unopened statues (only 3) and checked there was no damage (all good for the record). Gotta admit, when looking for statues these days that are no longer freely available, the "unopened" ones give me pause rather than get me excited like they used too. With the number of damaged statues out there it almost feels like asking for trouble rather than commanding a price premium. If I was ever to sell any of my statues and I had them unopened (like I do with a few busts still) I would feel obligated to open and inspect before selling. Unfortunately this would decrease any sale value as people assume anything opened has been displayed but its better than losing everything if the item is damaged.

Last edited:
Did you pay via credit card through paypal? If so lodge a dispute with your credit card company.

Edit: On another note, your thread has made me do something I should have done as soon as I received them. I just went out to the garage (temporary storage while between homes) and opened all my unopened statues (only 3) and checked there was no damage (all good for the record). Gotta admit, when looking for statues these days that are no longer freely available, the "unopened" ones give me pause rather than get me excited like they used too. With the number of damaged statues out there it almost feels like asking for trouble rather than commanding a price premium. If I was ever to sell any of my statues and I had them unopened (like I do with a few busts still) I would feel obligated to open and inspect before selling. Unfortunately this would decrease any sale value as people assume anything opened has been displayed but its better than losing everything if the item is damaged.

being opened or unopened doesn't affect any of the true value, it just may bump the final price up a tad

I always require insurance because of transit damage. Thankfully I always record unedited video of me packing and delivering the item to the post office, that way I have proof that it left my house in the stated condition on either my sales area or amazon, etc. :)
I don't believe you should file a paypal claim unless the seller is refusing to HELP you to file the USPS claim or so. because it is not fair for the seller to lose the $$ or statue due to USPS fault.
According to Business Law, the item is responsibility of the buyer once it enters the carriers hands and leaves the premises of the seller (had to take 3 business law classes for university lol). I have I always provide help to my buyers as much as I can because i want them to get compensation from the USPS in case of any damage.
now you should file the paypal claim if you are not sure if the seller broke it before hand, thankfully tho, in my case, my buyers knows that i did not break or sell not described items cuz they can see the videos and know I am honest, so filing a claim would be completely unfair. Also when you buying an item stated as broken claims are almost worthless with paypal specially if there is insurance, used item and video/pictures. so when you buying broken items or used, also got to be careful that the seller is honest (like me lol)

PS. I see that you have A LOT of issues with buyers scamming you comicbookguy and you never want to state their names... I am starting to think you might be the one scamming LOL, thankfully i never sold you anything, because I am sure you would have made an issue of it too huahuahuaa

I always require insurance because of transit damage. Thankfully I always record unedited video of me packing and delivering the item to the post office, that way I have proof that it left my house in the stated condition on either my sales area or amazon, etc. :)
I don't believe you should file a paypal claim unless the seller is refusing to HELP you to file the USPS claim or so. because it is not fair for the seller to lose the $$ or statue due to USPS fault.
According to Business Law, the item is responsibility of the buyer once it enters the carriers hands and leaves the premises of the seller (had to take 3 business law classes for university lol). I have I always provide help to my buyers as much as I can because i want them to get compensation from the USPS in case of any damage.
now you should file the paypal claim if you are not sure if the seller broke it before hand, thankfully tho, in my case, my buyers knows that i did not break or sell not described items cuz they can see the videos and know I am honest, so filing a claim would be completely unfair. Also when you buying an item stated as broken claims are almost worthless with paypal specially if there is insurance, used item and video/pictures. so when you buying broken items or used, also got to be careful that the seller is honest (like me lol)

PS. I see that you have A LOT of issues with buyers scamming you comicbookguy and you never want to state their names... I am starting to think you might be the one scamming LOL, thankfully i never sold you anything, because I am sure you would have made an issue of it too huahuahuaa

No I email anyone who wanted the sellers name so you forgot that part haha.. But anyways next time I'm going for paypal claim tired of being nice and getting rip off by so called nice honest sellers. Unless it's someone I know from the forums very well. But I will pay back the seller if I get my refund or anything they need. It's my insurance that I get something. But I will email the seller first to see if he will do anything then I will post his name after I get his response instead of bashing him first. I'm a nice guy so I always want to give the seller a chance first. But this time I have little hope he will just say f off. :wink1:

Last edited:

Yes very true opened them all up and check them all. My baroness came with a broken leg yesterday. But SS has me covered. Good thing.

According to Business Law, the item is responsibility of the buyer once it enters the carriers hands and leaves the premises of the seller (had to take 3 business law classes for university lol).

In Australia the seller is responsible all the way through. That law is crazy. How can a buyer be responsible for something they don't even have yet?

In Australia the seller is responsible all the way through. That law is crazy. How can a buyer be responsible for something they don't even have yet?

Simple, the buyer paid for it so they own it.

Not until they get it. Under our law it is they sellers responsibility to ensure the buyer gets what they paid for in the condition it was sold as.

Last edited:
I emailed the seller should be interesting to see if he responds back at all or if he blows up. Let's see what happens?

Ok no reply from the seller. His eBay seller name is Zim-5000, has a lot of good feedback. He seems to say F off now that it's not his problem. I will contact paypal anyways to see if anythingbcan be done after the 45 days since I have all the USPS delay forms. I know it's no chance but it's worth a free shot. It would be so funny if they really reverse this. Btw is there a phone to call paypal? Or do I have to do emails?

what did you actually buy from him cbg? it seems all he sells are <$40 junk.

I bought a PF general grevious from him. :monkey1 I email him right now to ask him why no response? I told him I will contact paypal to explain it anyways. It's worth a try better then not trying anything. Should have made my claim with paypal first then let the seller get the refund from the USPS. I bet then at least he would have try to put a little effort into it instead of me wasting 3 months going back and forth every few days. He even got mad at me for asking him a question about papers 2 times. He said I'm wasting his time and he has nothing to do with it.

The buyer paid for an item that is in the condition advertised.

Not until they get it. Under our law it is they sellers responsibility to ensure the buyer gets what they paid for in the condition it was sold as.

:lecture:lecture:lecture That's why Australia Post advises buyers to inspect the package before they sign. It's theirs once the item has been signed for, and once signed for the insurance is null and void.

that sucks, yes you should put the claim in with paypal first, and took photo of the damage the same day the package arrived. This seller seems top rank, surprised he didnt take care of the situation for you.

that sucks, yes you should put the claim in with paypal first, and took photo of the damage the same day the package arrived. This seller seems top rank, surprised he didnt take care of the situation for you.

Yes I see this more and more. Lesson learn make the paypal claim ASAP no matter how nice the seller may seem. Once I get the refund I will pay the seller back with the refund. This way the seller can't just forget about the transaction and leave me with a broken statue which no ne claims it's their fault. Ok it's not the sellers fault and it's not the USPS fault. Insurance in full didn't count so whos fault is it? :dunno

Back