Statue came broken by USPS and claim denied what can I do?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comicbookguy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi I bought a statue from a seller on eBay and the statue came broken by the USPS. It was fully insure for the full amount. So I thought I would be covered if it comes broken. But after months of saying they need more info, receipts, etc I sent it all to them. So then today I called the for the 15th time and they said that it was denied. They denied my claim for the statue that came cracked. They said the box was not damage, so they denied my refund. I mean these statues can break just by dropping the box and not denting or smashing up the box. Now I'm stuck with a broken statue that was 100% insure after 3 months of going back and forth. This has been a big mess. So I is there anythingni can do now? The seller is pissed off saying it's not his problem that I'm wasting his time with this matter. It really sucks when something like this happens. Did anyone here have similar problems with the USPS or any other shipping company? What stupid rules when the claims gets denied because the box is not damage. So if a glass cup breaks inside the box it's not covered because the box is not damage? I mean it's like glass same as a statue! Anyone know if there's anything I can do? Lmk thanks

Hi I bought a statue from a seller on eBay and the statue came broken by the USPS. It was fully insure for the full amount. So I thought I would be covered if it comes broken. But after months of saying they need more info, receipts, etc I sent it all to them. So then today I called the for the 15th time and they said that it was denied. They denied my claim for the statue that came cracked. They said the box was not damage, so they denied my refund. I mean these statues can break just by dropping the box and not denting or smashing up the box. Now I'm stuck with a broken statue that was 100% insure after 3 months of going back and forth. This has been a big mess. So I is there anythingni can do now? The seller is pissed off saying it's not his problem that I'm wasting his time with this matter. It really sucks when something like this happens. Did anyone here have similar problems with the USPS or any other shipping company? What stupid rules when the claims gets denied because the box is not damage. So if a glass cup breaks inside the box it's not covered because the box is not damage? I mean it's like glass same as a statue! Anyone know if there's anything I can do? Lmk thanks

one reason i never fully insure and declare full value,, ur wasting 40% extra on customs for nothing,
its always upto the seller to do something in these cases, do u mind revealing who the seller is in this case and the item?

y didnt u just file a paypal case ? instead of going for claiming insurance
i learnes claiming insurance was totally useless when i talked with the postmaster at my local post office when i received my first damaged item, u can only win a claim when ur item goes missing

my tumbler has been stuck in customs since 10th of this month, i have undervalued and im pretty sure its not gonna be good when i receive it,
at least i saved 40% of 600$ in customs

Wow that's so many bad experiences from the USPS but so true. It was my first statue claim from them I figure I was insure so I was protected. How very wrong I was. I will email the seller first today and will posts for sure if he does not help me out. Which I know already. But it's always worth a email to me to let him know first. I mean he is a collector so he might be on here too. Did anyone have same issues with USPS or fed ex? I'm just bum out that they can denied a item so fragile which we all know can be broken just by dropping the box or moving it around. I mean come on do they really need to smash up the box for a glass like item to be broken?

I always thought it was the responsibilty of the shipper to make a insurance claim ....
ScratchHead.gif

Either party can make it - tho if you're the buyer, you're protected very nicely by paypal, so you'd be better off just filing through paypal and letting the seller deal withi t.

USPS probably denied the claim because if the box was not damaged, they're assuming the statue was shipped damage.

They want to see that you packed the item so well as to avoid damage and that it was their fault. Interestingly, I've heard that the insurance does not cover shock.

I always thought it was the responsibilty of the shipper to make a insurance claim ....
ScratchHead.gif

Not really.... all the proof of damage and all has to be supplied by the buyer... the claim is only as good as the info and pics provided by the person holding the damage......

dont know if its true but i also heard in some cases u have to open and show the item to postal service when buying insurance,
as far im concerned i know insurance will only work for me if my item goes missing , the postal people will never acknowledge a damage as it can never be proved unless it has been packed in front of them

There are also 2 types of insurance through USPS now--their own insurance, and one purchased through a 3rd party company called "ShipCover." I'm not sure what differences there might be, though.

The seller is pissed off saying it's not his problem that I'm wasting his time with this matter.

Bull****.

It is the seller's problem. It's his responsibility to make sure you receive your item in as described condition. If he didn't insure the package that's his problem, not yours.

The insurance is more for his protection than yours. If he gives you any crap about you not requesting insurance then you explain to him what I just said.

File a dispute with eBay and get your money back.

Stop all communication with this seller except through the dispute process.

Be sure to post all factual information. You're covered by Paypal so you will get your money back.

I had a similar situation happen with another seller who said "It's not my problem".

I've got a USPS claim outstanding for a broken statue--returned by the most moronic buyer I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with but that's another story. The box was pretty beaten up so hopefully they will give me the refund, but the cheap b@stards probably won't. If not I'll take a partial and get back the statue and have it either repaired or converted. But they may turn it down all together because they are dum dums. In which case I'll still salvage. Not optimal but ya gotta cut your losses and move on.

Not really.... all the proof of damage and all has to be supplied by the buyer... the claim is only as good as the info and pics provided by the person holding the damage......

so you mean i can ship out a broken item and its out of my hands once the buyer accepts it ? That makes no sense what so ever .

Either party can make it - tho if you're the buyer, you're protected very nicely by paypal, so you'd be better off just filing through paypal and letting the seller deal withi t..

to late for that , its been months . I'm sure the seller is gonna if he hasn't already tell him to F off

to late for that , its been months . I'm sure the seller is gonna if he hasn't already tell him to F off

Yes I bought a grevious on eBay from this seller, so it came broken and it's been 3 months of trying to get the claim at the post office. The 30 days protections over now. I wished I would have stop being nice and just file a paypal claim instead of letting the insurance work through. So now after getting the item back from the post office this is now even worst shape. I will email the seller butni know he won't respond or say go f off because he don't want anything to do with this. But anyways how about fed ex or ups? I decided to call fed ex and they said the only way for them to cover it is if they pack it. I mean how would they pack it? It's already packed with strofoam in a box tightly by sideshow and has a brown shipper box. What would they do to pack it? I ask them that question and the lady at fed ex was very impatient. She had no clue what I was saying about statues. Anyone had experiences with claims by ups or fed ex? I'm worried that if I order another statue ship by those two companies that it will get here damage then they will save well the box is not damage so we can't cover it. Now I might want to bring itinto ups or fed ex to pack it up. But I mean what can they really do to pack it? It's already packed well by sideshow with no room left for anything else in the box?

Bull****.

It is the seller's problem. It's his responsibility to make sure you receive your item in as described condition. If he didn't insure the package that's his problem, not yours.

The insurance is more for his protection than yours. If he gives you any crap about you not requesting insurance then you explain to him what I just said.

File a dispute with eBay and get your money back.

Stop all communication with this seller except through the dispute process.

Be sure to post all factual information. You're covered by Paypal so you will get your money back.

I had a similar situation happen with another seller who said "It's not my problem".

Agreed. I shipped a print to a member and it arrived damaged. I went ahead and filed the claim and had them send him the check, etc.

Back