Statue came broken by USPS and claim denied what can I do?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always fix it and move on

Bull****.

It is the seller's problem. It's his responsibility to make sure you receive your item in as described condition. If he didn't insure the package that's his problem, not yours.

The insurance is more for his protection than yours. If he gives you any crap about you not requesting insurance then you explain to him what I just said.

File a dispute with eBay and get your money back.

Stop all communication with this seller except through the dispute process.

Be sure to post all factual information. You're covered by Paypal so you will get your money back.

I had a similar situation happen with another seller who said "It's not my problem".

I wished I did file the claim. The slowness of the post office drag on for 3 months before they told me no they denied my claim. The seller was no help he said he file his papers one time and the rest is up to me to work it out and solve the problem. He said he does not have the valuble time to be wasted on this claim which is not even his business. He said the buyer has to deal with it with the post office and didn't want anything else to do with it. But yes so my SS baroness came in the mail with a perfect box undamage but when I opened it up the leg broke off in 2 pieces inside my undamage brown shipper box. So if this case the USPS will not cover it even if it was fully insure with all papers and receipts of everything. Just because the brown shipper box shows no damage to the outside of the box. Wow this is crazy how they do business.

Not sure how USPS operates, but in Oz, I'm pretty sure that once you sign for it you accept whatever is going on inside that box. So if you're receiving a statue or fragile item, best thing to do is have the delivery guy wait around while you check out the contents - and only then sign for it.

That sucks that they ruled against you in any case.

I wished I did file the claim. The slowness of the post office drag on for 3 months before they told me no they denied my claim. The seller was no help he said he file his papers one time and the rest is up to me to work it out and solve the problem. He said he does not have the valuble time to be wasted on this claim which is not even his business. He said the buyer has to deal with it with the post office and didn't want anything else to do with it. But yes so my SS baroness came in the mail with a perfect box undamage but when I opened it up the leg broke off in 2 pieces inside my undamage brown shipper box. So if this case the USPS will not cover it even if it was fully insure with all papers and receipts of everything. Just because the brown shipper box shows no damage to the outside of the box. Wow this is crazy how they do business.

:slap

Next time file a claim right away iof the seller acts like a ******. :lecture

:slap

Next time file a claim right away iof the seller acts like a ******. :lecture

Yes I will from now on :wink1: it's a lesson learn was it 30 days for eBay protection? I wonder would it have help if I opened the box to inspect it before accepting it? I wonder, I still think theynwould have rule no because the box is not damage so it's not their fault. Now I'm going to fed ex to ask them about packing up the item then will I be covered? Let's see what they say., I want tomknow how they can pack it better than SS. I just don't see a way of they packing it up any other way. I mean normal shipping methods not going to double box because that is not something thatnneeds tonbe done if it's insured.

Not sure how USPS operates, but in Oz, I'm pretty sure that once you sign for it you accept whatever is going on inside that box. So if you're receiving a statue or fragile item, best thing to do is have the delivery guy wait around while you check out the contents - and only then sign for it.

That sucks that they ruled against you in any case.

Good info thanks bro. :) btw if I don't buy it off eBay and just use paypal for payment will I still get the 30 day protection if it gets here damage?

Last edited:
I wonder would it have help if I opened the box to inspect it before accepting it?

I dont think so. In Fedex and UPS delivery guy, they will NOT allow you to open it. They will let you sign it first before you do something about the box. but you have the option not to accept it, but you can NOT open the box and check it for damages.

so you mean i can ship out a broken item and its out of my hands once the buyer accepts it ? That makes no sense what so ever .

That's not what I said.... The shipper (USPS) will ask for the packaging, contents and/or pics of the above.. All of that would have to be provided by the buyer as they have all of it in their possession. :wave

I dont think so. In Fedex and UPS delivery guy, they will NOT allow you to open it. They will let you sign it first before you do something about the box. but you have the option not to accept it, but you can NOT open the box and check it for damages.

What?! You're kidding! I guess they don't want to have their delivery guys' time taken up with everyone opening stuff on delivery, but that's a bit rough.

Maybe videoing the opening of the box is an option as far as provision of evidence goes then?

Damn CBG, your luck is in the tank. Your learning some expensive lessons.

Yeah, statues are fragile items and I'm surprise even with full insurance it didn't help. So does anyone know if I buy a statue from a seller with paypal direct not on eBay will I have the 30 day protection if it get here damage? Or this this protection only for eBay and not for paypal purchases off eBay? I'm getting ready to buy another statue but through paypal and not eBay. I just want some protection if this one gets here damage too. It just sucks to know even if I insure the full amount I still can't get the money back. So I guess paypal would be my only hope from now on if they cover the 30 day thing?

What?! You're kidding! I guess they don't want to have their delivery guys' time taken up with everyone opening stuff on delivery, but that's a bit rough.

Maybe videoing the opening of the box is an option as far as provision of evidence goes then?

As far as I know, Im not kidding. I already try this asking if i can open it first but i was denied. Doing a video will work but I havent tried that.

With PayPal you have 45 days.
Sorry to hear btw

Ok great! Now I can order again knowing I do have some coverage. So even if it's not from eBay as long as I pay with paypal I do have the coverage correct? if so then I'm ready to buy again otherwise it's making me think twice about buying older statues ever again.

Damn i'm going through the samething now for piece to that i bought here on the board from a member. 2 clean breaks here and chipped resin in the box.

I've had a good track record when shipped with Canada Post from other Canadian collectors and retailers. First time buying from a US collector and having it shipped with USPS. Two hard lessons learned shipping via USPS is S@#$ and insurance is for suckers. Well off i go to find my hockey stick and start whacking my art box for damage.

Damn i'm going through the samething now for piece to that i bought here on the board from a member. 2 clean breaks here and chipped resin in the box.

I've had a good track record when shipped with Canada Post from other Canadian collectors and retailers. First time buying from a US collector and having it shipped with USPS. Two hard lessons learned shipping via USPS is S@#$ and insurance is for suckers. Well off i go to find my hockey stick and start whacking my art box for damage.

You are so right here. I learn that the hard way. :exactly: hard to believe a fully insured item is useless at the USPS. :lecture yes please smash it up I want to see what happens after the endless excuses they use. They kept me guessing for 3 months before a no. I had to call every week for 3 months just to be lucky to get the answer. They first came up with so many excuses it was crazy. Said I was missing a paper here and there. So I forward them every single paper they needed then they said no.

Last edited:
file an appeal, doesn't always work but there is a chance if you fight it, lots of letters constant harrassing can work. But one issue I am still dealing with over a year now $825, paypal already stole my $ out of my account to payback the buyer...even though I know it was BS, yes I have valid reasons.

I know now if I get something damaged from usps before filing a claim and sending pics I will beat the hell out of the box, however I have significantly limited what I send through them now, and any statues I send in the US is through fedex ground, haven't had a problem since and cheaper. Insurance claims are much quicker too if it comes to it. USPS is a joke no wonder they are going under, I had to explain to the postmaster how the insurance claim works when filling it out, I know it was crap but they just didn't want to help get it resolved.

file an appeal, doesn't always work but there is a chance if you fight it, lots of letters constant harrassing can work. But one issue I am still dealing with over a year now $825, paypal already stole my $ out of my account to payback the buyer...even though I know it was BS, yes I have valid reasons.

I know now if I get something damaged from usps before filing a claim and sending pics I will beat the hell out of the box, however I have significantly limited what I send through them now, and any statues I send in the US is through fedex ground, haven't had a problem since and cheaper. Insurance claims are much quicker too if it comes to it. USPS is a joke no wonder they are going under, I had to explain to the postmaster how the insurance claim works when filling it out, I know it was crap but they just didn't want to help get it resolved.

Yes spazzy you nailed it perfectly. Very well said. I had everything they needed and I did file an appeal. They still turn me down saying the box was not damage so the interior items must have been caused by someone else. Just trying to get some info or a hold of someone is a nightmare that lasted 3 months. Btw I went to the post office to recover the box as the claims deptment told me to. Ah I will not even start. What they try to tell me I had to do to recover the box can take up 2 full pages. Not even worth the time. Overall the USPS insurance is not there to cover you but to help pay their budget. :mad:

Yeah, statues are fragile items and I'm surprise even with full insurance it didn't help. So does anyone know if I buy a statue from a seller with paypal direct not on eBay will I have the 30 day protection if it get here damage? Or this this protection only for eBay and not for paypal purchases off eBay? I'm getting ready to buy another statue but through paypal and not eBay. I just want some protection if this one gets here damage too. It just sucks to know even if I insure the full amount I still can't get the money back. So I guess paypal would be my only hope from now on if they cover the 30 day thing?

you still get the paypal protection no matter who you buy through

the same reasons i dont declare full value when its being shipped thru USPS , y simply lose another 40% of the total
i pay around 18-30% duty when sideshow ships thry fedex , but then again its worth it because u know sideshow will take care of it and if not at least get a refund with minimal loss
backtracking is a pain, so many statue i would like to get but wont cos of the fear of damage when already paying 3-4 times marked up prices and not getting anything in the end

Back