State of the Star Wars Sideshow backlash?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the experiment with Old Ben?

They listed the reg. Ben as being Sold Out (with no Wait List) a week or so after it went on sale. I am assuming (maybe?) that Sideshow are determining the ES of reg. Ben by how many orders were taken before they listed him as sold out so the after market isn't so saturated.

:dunno

They listed the reg. Ben as being Sold Out (with no Wait List) a week or so after it went on sale. I am assuming (maybe?) that Sideshow are determining the ES of reg. Ben by how many orders were taken before they listed him as sold out so the after market isn't so saturated.

:dunno

Interesting.

they only sell out because of their retailers....passing on the abundance of product to other people to deal with stagnant stock.

It seems that way and the retailers in turn eventually when the stock does not move have to clearance sale the figures. Eventually the retailer will catch on and buy fewer of each figure. This for obvious reasons won't be good for Sideshow.

Once Vader and the armored crowd of figures are released I can see a resurgence in the SW line for a period. But once the new wears off and the excitement of finally having armored figures in the Sideshow SW line, I see the prices dropping back down again.

Jedi Luke is a good example of this, the exclusive version's price really soared high when Jabba was released but has since dropped down again to pre-jabba price levels. Same thing will happen when the armored figures are released.

Though I wasn't among those posting in the thread linked in the first post, I will admit being one of the major backlashers/worriers when SSC first got the license.

I think the worrying was initially justified via the quick SE Luke sell out and me, an avid SW 12" collector ever since the first Hasbro Collector Series wave hit stores around '95, at the time, being left out in the cold just because I logged in after work the same day!

For someone who was a diehard collector for years and owned 90% of the 12" SW figures ever made this was quite disappointing!!! and only fueled the fire of the initial worrying.

That said, for whatever reason, its becoming apparent that many people buying the Exclusives are not actually buying to collect long term, which therefore creates a large aftermarket which I suppose counters the argument of limited availability.

Another issue is still in question, IMO, whether SSC is doing the right thing by making Exclusives limited in the first place regardless of this eventual aftermarket availability.

Making limited editions boosts sales which boosts product quantity, however at the same time it can prevents the eventual final owner from getting the product on a timely basis. Its really a double edged sword, IMO.

If you're patient, sometimes nails you a good deal from aftermarket sellers, but should SSC want the real final benifactors and enjoyers of their product to have to be patient in the first place? Know what I'm saying?

In either event, the unfortunate thing I notice is the negative swing in prices, not just on the aftermarker but from retailers and etailers. Its not good to see Hastings or Alterego comics clearancing SSC product for 50% off.

Anyway, to wind up a long post I just think its really odd that at the same time so much of product A is being produced that withing a year or 2 it goes down in value, yet at the same time not enough are being produced that those that want it still end up signing up for the "wait list". It doesn't compute.

Last edited:
Does Hastings have a website? I've never heard of them.

IDK. I never heard about them either until a few months back when people were talking about Qui-Gons for $20 or something. Then recently its been Han and Kit for $12.50 or something.

IIRC they're like a Mediaplay or something.

Edit. Just realized I said "or something" 3 times.

If there is any drag on this line, I'd say that's it. That any Star Wars line could be two years in without an OT Vader, or even a hint that one is on the horizon, is inconceivable. I know I'm getting frustrated with Sideshow treating this as if it's almost a non-issue. At least let us know when we might expect to see something on the armored character front, hearing things like "eventually" or "perfection takes time" is getting tiresome.

It's funny, Armor Vader not being out right now doesn't bother me one bit. And people getting frustrated over it cracks me up :lol The Vader doll will show up. And will be Hot Sideshow Toys Bestest figure evAr!

It's funny, Armor Vader not being out right now doesn't bother me one bit. And people getting frustrated over it cracks me up :lol The Vader doll will show up. And will be Hot Sideshow Toys Bestest figure evAr!

Basically how I feel too. I prefer a Vader sooner rather than later, but I am not going to cry DOOOOM just yet. :lol

It's funny, Armor Vader not being out right now doesn't bother me one bit. And people getting frustrated over it cracks me up :lol

It's not like I'm pulling my hair out over it or pissed or anything, it'd just be nice to hear something.

The Vader doll will show up.
That's my point. 2 years later and that's all we can say, it's coming... eventually... some time.

It seems like SS is avoiding doing any highly armored figures.. or maybe they're just trying to focus. They seem to be doing a lot of Jedi and Jabba related stuff.

It seems like SS is avoiding doing any highly armored figures.. or maybe they're just trying to focus. They seem to be doing a lot of Jedi and Jabba related stuff.

just Jedi and Jabba? :confused:

On Preorder right now are:

*ANH Leia
*Old Ben
Snow Bunny Padme
*Bespin Luke
*Darth Sidious

* 4 Demanded characters right there.

Once the Armor folks get rolling, people will be demanding normal clothed ones :rotfl

just Jedi and Jabba? :confused:

On Preorder right now are:

*ANH Leia
*Old Ben
Snow Bunny Padme
*Bespin Luke
*Darth Sidious

* 4 Demanded characters right there.

Once the Armor folks get rolling, people will be demanding normal clothed ones :rotfl

And if the rumors are true, 2008 will be "the year of the armor"

I would not be suprised if they start small and work up to vader, for example, a logical progression as we already have Boushh Leia would be
A Gamorian Gaurd
A boba Fett
Lando Skiff guard
A Biker scout ( possibly a 1/6 bike to go with him, like the jabba Dais[Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTwEVq6VtgA to learn what a dais is] set)
Then a snow trooper
(possibly a hoth rebel trooper here to compliment them)
The clones
Then Storm troopers
( Clones and stormies could be reveresed, armor is complicated enough that we could likely see either one first)
And finaly, the big man himself, Darth Vader.
The only reason I think they would do vader last, Is They want him to be perfect. So i would think that once they get all the kinks out of the armor design, (and with hot toys helping, that should be soon) WE will see tall dark, and evil.....

And after they release him, I can send him to the vader master to get him properly detailed :)

That's alot to see in one yer, admittidly. So that would likely be two years to get it all out. * figures in two years seems like a likely progression for them.

They're not avoiding it. Things will be just fine.

I can't wait until Sideshow does armored Vader. The Star Wars section will self destruct with all the Medicom vs. Sideshow Vader comparison threads.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

:lol:lol:rotfl:rotfl

I can't wait for the inevitable whining about how the mask isn't 100% correct and that the lines on the belt are the wrong version of Vader...

I am sure his cape will be too long or too short as well.

Back