State of the Star Wars Sideshow backlash?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some of the backlash is coming from the fact that SSC is dancing around expected and requested figures like Vader, Stormtroopers, Boba Fett, etc. I remember when Mace first PPO'd and everyone got excited thinking that Jango Fett was only a few announcements away, only to be deflated by someone PM'ing me stating that they knew for a fact that Jango and Boba were years away and not to expect them soon.....at this point that person wasn't wrong.

You watch, once complementary figures are released some of the older pieces will rise in secondary market value, once an ROTJ Vader is out people will flock back for their lost ROTJ Lukes and so forth. Star Wars fans (myself included) have shown time and time again that they will buy almost anything produced by LFL and their licensees so I don't think the line is in any danger what so ever.

I think Sideshow has spent the early part of this series finding the right balance between price and edition sizes. They started off kinda small with Luke and then upped the edition sizes on figures like Han which seem to have hurt the value a bit.

But now it seems they are tightening the reigns with the regulars for Obi and Leia being smaller again.

About value, I think a lot of people were expecting an instant increase in price and with sizes this large that usually doesn't happen. The only figure to consistently sell for above retail is Jedi Luke. However, I do think the long term the value (at least on the exclusives) will be higher... but the days of flipping an exclusive when it hits the door for 2X what was paid seems to be gone.

Frankly, I could care less what after market value these hold because I'll never sell any of my Star Wars items unless I'm in a bind and if that comes, whatever I can get for them I can get.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the line, I think it's healthy and move at a good pace. The level of costuming and head sculpts and production pieces we've been getting in this line has been on a steady incline of consistent improvement and I'm loving everything Sideshow has offered. I have figures I want, but the figures they're making are great, so I'm just along for the ride and taking what I can along the way.

From what I have noticed, the last few releases they have treated the regular editions as a sort of inclusive (ie not releases the ES and closing the sale after a few weeks - Old Ben is an example of this). Sideshow seems to be trying to rein in the problem of the saturating the after market. I think its a problem they are addressing pretty well.

I forgot to mention that the latest "exclusive" items have been lack-luster and many that used to buy direct from SS are now purchasing the regular version from either an online shop or from ebay for a considerable amount less.

Taking the Sidious/Palpatine 2-pack as an example, the regular version sans exclusive "tiny statue" can presently be pre-ordered for about $12 bucks less from a number of online shops. That's very close to the shipping costs being saved right there.

Not sure that making 2 of the same piece helps tbh,

personally when I bought a ROTS Obi Wan, I didnt opt for ANH Obi Wan

Likewise having bought Jedi Luke I didnt go for Yavin or Bespin Luke

But thats just me

dont get me wrong I can see the attraction also as they are good figures - ANH Obi Wan anyway

Would have thought given the amount of characters in the Star Wars Series that a new character would have been more attractive than a different version

I would have thought that looking at what items sold the most / quickest and then expand that scene with characters would have made the most sense . . . and Im guessing thats what happened with Jabba,bib,salacious,jedi luke,bubo

As Im guessing they sold alot and quickly ?

I think some of the backlash is coming from the fact that SSC is dancing around expected and requested figures like Vader, Stormtroopers, Boba Fett, etc.

If there is any drag on this line, I'd say that's it. That any Star Wars line could be two years in without an OT Vader, or even a hint that one is on the horizon, is inconceivable. I know I'm getting frustrated with Sideshow treating this as if it's almost a non-issue. At least let us know when we might expect to see something on the armored character front, hearing things like "eventually" or "perfection takes time" is getting tiresome.

There are a few things that are concerning me so far..

1. crappy exclusives have made me wait and get the regular somewhere else
2. Price increase. In the beginning I thought this was going to be an affordable line and at $50 each it was ok but now they are at $60 with no signs of stopping.
3. Sick of reused characters. Do we really need 3 Lukes so far.. UGH.

Haven't bothered reading the thread because I read the same thread every couple of months.

Once again I will say...

There is no Star Wars backlash. The products are great, they sell out, they make money.

Why should SSC care how much you can get a Jedi Luke for on E-bay. They've sold out of their stock.

The line is consistently strong and fresh (dejarik table, Sidious 2 pack) and is here to stay.

I will however, let you have the 'could do better' card for some of the recent exclusives (Leia's handcuffs mainly...)

Haven't bothered reading the thread because I read the same thread every couple of months.

Once again I will say...

There is no Star Wars backlash. The products are great, they sell out, they make money.

Why should SSC care how much you can get a Jedi Luke for on E-bay. They've sold out of their stock.

The line is consistently strong and fresh (dejarik table, Sidious 2 pack) and is here to stay.

I will however, let you have the 'could do better' card for some of the recent exclusives (Leia's handcuffs mainly...)

With the exception of Snow Bunny Angelina I agree with everything. I think Sideshow is doing a pretty good job. :clap:lecture:clap:lecture:clap:lecture:clap

they only sell out because of their retailers....passing on the abundance of product to other people to deal with stagnant stock.

You watch, once complementary figures are released some of the older pieces will rise in secondary market value, once an ROTJ Vader is out people will flock back for their lost ROTJ Lukes and so forth.

I think this is very true.

The only thing holding SS SW back, if there is, is the fact that SS has not produced some of the key figures that really drive a SW line: VADER, FETT, DROIDS, CHEWBACCA, YODA, STORMTROOPERS, etc. Once those are made, there will be a whole new energy again.

Back