1/6 Starting my Collection Did I waste my Money ??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was the big difference between armory and dx12 if I just want the Batman figure? Which one is the one to get?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I thought it was a gun with the DX that wasn't in the armory but I am probably wrong. I know many people got after market capes from Tony Mei because the cape was difficult to work with. I didn't get the DX because for a while we were getting batman figures about as much as iron man. Now of course we even have on the toilet iron man and bathrobe armor iron man, so he is clearly undisputed most made figure.

The head on the Armory is much better. The eyelids are painted black, which makes it look less like a toy and the mouth plates include a more natural expression, similar to his default film look.

However, I like both the DX12's utility belt and cape more than the Armory version's.

Also there can be plenty of quality issues with Hot Toys, some people might value a sealed package but I sure don't. I'd much rather have an opened and inspected figure than roll the dice on something that could easily have big flaws inside a sealed package buying from a 3rd party. I'll buy new from Sideshow or something where I can get replacement parts or an exchange.

Exactly this. ^^^

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best advice buy what u love and if new movie of character u like or wanted its from just wait for the release. Hot toys love's to repeat figure's Example Jack Sparrow , Avengers, Jokers ,etc..... Calm down have patience use the forrum we all not out to make profit off other collectors and ask n hunt around for the figure you like & want. Ebay is good source but so is the buy sell section here along with Facebook buy sell trade groups. Just stick what you Love these are not investments at all that also go's for customs lol.:lol

So I am new to this addiction. And I could only buy 2 Figures so far.

I purchased a new sealed Batman DX12 Hot Toys still in shipper amazing. These will skyrocket in value just because they will never be made again like this IMO. But I feel like $500 was a bit high still rather get it now before it hits $900 like Joker DX11

And I purchased a Iron Man Mark VI Diecast $359.99 - 10% off since its my first purchase from Sideshow. Its a re-release but Die-cast and Exclusive and its a suit that spans 2 Movies Iron Man 3 and Avengers plus its the only suit to have survived going into outerspace/new dimension.

What should be my next figure. I am leaning towards a Premium Format Dark Knight or a 1/4th scale Iron Man

Yes, I hate to say it but you've wasted your money and now it's too late for you!!!

Oh, I can't bare to watch this train wreck that is your purchasing decision!!!

:panic:

In truth, I think we all waste our money. On the flip side, I know I enjoy collecting and it makes me happy. So yes, I waste my money on figures. Is it still worth it, for me yes. Do I like having an office filled with figure on display? I do. So if you are happy, thats all that matters.

On the plus side, most HT figures maintain their value. I've upgraded to newer versions of some characters, able to sell the old ones for close to what I paid for.

On the plus side, most HT figures maintain their value. I've upgraded to newer versions of some characters, able to sell the old ones for close to what I paid for.

I would say all except TFA figures, HT bet on the wrong card, got crazy about the hype and overproduced whole line big time. I'm in the hobby shortly, but i can't see any other similar case.

Pfft, oooh, maintain value, oooh increase value.

Buy what you enjoy, that way you don't care about some perceived "value", only the value that it means to you.

Pfft, oooh, maintain value, oooh increase value.

Buy what you enjoy, that way you don't care about some perceived "value", only the value that it means to you.
Some people value the figure's "value". I don't understand your post...

In truth, I think we all waste our money. On the flip side, I know I enjoy collecting and it makes me happy. So yes, I waste my money on figures. Is it still worth it, for me yes. Do I like having an office filled with figure on display? I do. So if you are happy, thats all that matters.

Economy and simplicity....

buckyapartment_opt.jpg

vs. a bit of luxury in a harsh cruel world...

collection.jpg

There's something to be said for both.

:monkey3

Some people value the figure's "value". I don't understand your post...

I get it because i'm the same way most of the time. I don't care about resale value as long as I like the figure. But that's mainly because I have no plans on ever selling them. If I did, I wouldn't have bothered to buy them in the first place. But everyone get's into hobbies for different reasons. I just like collecting at it's core. Buying them for the purpose of profiting is an abhorrent notion to me and I don't consider it to be part of the hobby. People like that are a cancer to true collectors.

I actually started this hobby by first collecting Funko Pops, and thankfully my instagram caught it and recommended me to pages of Hot Toys collectors.
Personally I like to collect figures because I love the characters. I cant remember who my first Hot Toys was, it was either Joker or Indy. Anyhow, I have about 6 Hot Toys figures that I absolutely love and I alternate displaying them so I don't get 'bored' .. I have 3 that I have not yet opened because I decided I am not a fan anymore lol and they are Deadpool, Knightmare batman and Kylo Ren. I dont mind selling them but the thing is I cant find any buyers in my country and shipping it abroad costs too much money so I am stuck with those three figures.
I also have custom pieces that I commissioned for Rick Grimes, I have about 5 Rick heads (including an Owen) that cost a fortune and now I am thinking of parting with a couple of the heads. I have been customising Ellie and Joel for over a year now but Ive never customised (I think the word is kitbash) a figure from scratch and pieces are so hard to fins but joining this forum has helped me collect a whole lot more itms faster !
I have decided to stop collecting figures after completing my Joel and Ellie, unless Logan and Laura are realised by Hot Toys, because it has cost me too much money and I already have the characters I love.
Its a tiresome and costly hobby that requires a lot of patience but I just love seeing the figures in my shelf. It makes me very happy :wink1:

I get it because i'm the same way most of the time. I don't care about resale value as long as I like the figure. But that's mainly because I have no plans on ever selling them. If I did, I wouldn't have bothered to buy them in the first place. But everyone get's into hobbies for different reasons. I just like collecting at it's core. Buying them for the purpose of profiting is an abhorrent notion to me and I don't consider it to be part of the hobby. People like that are a cancer to true collectors.

You don't have to be a profiteer to be concerned about the value of something you own. I have sold may of my figures over the years as I have limited space and a non infinite amount of money to spend, if there's something new that I want more than something I currently have I can sell it and make room, and it is nice to be able to do that. As such it is worth paying attention to if something you bought for retail is worth a fraction of what it was, or if it is in demand. It should also be part of the equation of making sure you not buying something for way more than it would ever be worth to something else, that's just wasted money. But if you're rich and don't care then good for you, but for the rest of us it is not some moral failing to sell something you once bought after enjoying it for a few years.

Its a tiresome and costly hobby that requires a lot of patience but I just love seeing the figures in my shelf. It makes me very happy

Sums up the whole hobby for me in a single sentence. And IMO problems/cost aside, there's some genius involved in these figs, materials, getting the scale and sculpts right, HT's "eerie" ability to produce lifelike eyes (albeit often a bit blank in expression:monkey3). IMO it's a great hobby w. a lot of needed skills if you're doing customs. For me part of it's being able to keep a bit of films/characters I love around in 3D, long after all the hype is over.

You don't have to be a profiteer to be concerned about the value of something you own. I have sold may of my figures over the years as I have limited space and a non infinite amount of money to spend, if there's something new that I want more than something I currently have I can sell it and make room, and it is nice to be able to do that. As such it is worth paying attention to if something you bought for retail is worth a fraction of what it was, or if it is in demand. It should also be part of the equation of making sure you not buying something for way more than it would ever be worth to something else, that's just wasted money. But if you're rich and don't care then good for you, but for the rest of us it is not some moral failing to sell something you once bought after enjoying it for a few years.

You either read too far into what I said, or not far enough, because what you describe isn't anything like what I described.

I've sold figures before, but because they no longer fit in my collection or there is a better version available. What I'm saying is that anyone who buys something with the sole intention of making money off it is a cancer to collecting. I don't buy anything with the intention to profit off of it, even if I do eventually sell it. And nowhere did I say value isn't important. I said everyone get's into hobbies for their own reasons. Anyone who buys a figure because they think it will sell fast and go up in price is not a real collector to me... flippers/scalpers are NOT collectors. What you described is nothing like that. So if I offended you in some way, that's on you.

Last edited:

It's just a different "collecting focus". Space is definitely a concern - look at the folks dealing w. CW Falcon and that (gorgeous) full wing spread. Am pretty new collecting but when first joined board was shocked at folks buying both HT and poly and then selling IMO relatively soon after. Because I didn't have that collecting mindset - my collection is more or less permanent. So every purchase is carefully considered re how I might feel in a year, 2 years, 3 years...and got no interest in dealing w. selling stuff, shipping, and all that. Like, it took me a while to decide on Dr. Strange...some stuff doesn't get bought at all...

LOL tho slowly it's sunk in that HT (probably) isn't catering to the "permanent" collector. No real money for HT there. Don't know how long my figs will last...but anyway, don't think it's a moral failing to resell - it's good business for folks like me who are new and missed stuff. I wouldn't have had an original Winter Soldier or Golden Age Cap without resellers. (My only comment would be that a re-sale may get you a profit, and I don't mind paying upmarket for a fig in near-mint condition, but there are lines I won't cross re price. Because I know HT didn't fall over itself a lot of the time re quality plastics, dyes.)

My sentiments as well.

Sure there's the possibility you may eventually sell figures down the line for various reasons (it no longer fits in your collection, you need quick cash, a better version became available, etc) and if you do, it certainly helps if the figure happens to be going for high prices at that time. However, the point is when you initially purchase the figure, you don't have intentions of selling it down the line. The intent is that you're going to be keeping it for a long time. That being the case, what the resale value of a figure may potentially be later on at the time you purchase it should mean nothing because you're not purchasing it with the intent of scalping it to make a profit.

Anyone want to buy a DX11 exclusive for $900?

Just kidding

Back