1/6 Starting my Collection Did I waste my Money ??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you enjoy it, then you didn't waste your money.

But if you honestly are expecting it to increase in value to that degree, then maybe you did.

Buying figures for retirement.. funny

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

to me it is when I think of the possibility of the plastics/vinyl etc. degrading. Not always, but possible. I'm more wary of anything over 3 years old sealed or not.
And I don't think my figs will last forever. They might. So far so good. But who knows what HT uses to make these things?

If you expect to make huge profits on each purchase......yes you did.

Enjoy them, that's what they're for

Not to make Huge Profits but trying to avoid paying huge fees. But I see the values going up.

Could have bought a sealed DX12 for $360 2 weeks passed ended up paying $480 Now I see the Armory is going up in value.

I like the DX12 because of the way it is packaged.

Anyone got the Armory with Batman figure for sale? PM me.

I enjoy my DX12 but picked it up last year for...a lot less than $500. I haven't followed prices on it lately but that seems really high for that figure...that said if you feel like you are getting $500 worth of enjoyment from it then it was a good deal.

So I am new to this addiction. And I could only buy 2 Figures so far.

I purchased a new sealed Batman DX12 Hot Toys still in shipper amazing. These will skyrocket in value just because they will never be made again like this IMO. But I feel like $500 was a bit high still rather get it now before it hits $900 like Joker DX11

And I purchased a Iron Man Mark VI Diecast $359.99 - 10% off since its my first purchase from Sideshow. Its a re-release but Die-cast and Exclusive and its a suit that spans 2 Movies Iron Man 3 and Avengers plus its the only suit to have survived going into outerspace/new dimension.

What should be my next figure. I am leaning towards a Premium Format Dark Knight or a 1/4th scale Iron Man

Not to burst your bubble, but it was the Mark 7 that was used in the final fight and space flight in Avengers. He used the 6 the rest of the movie though.

Not to make Huge Profits but trying to avoid paying huge fees. But I see the values going up.

Could have bought a sealed DX12 for $360 2 weeks passed ended up paying $480 Now I see the Armory is going up in value.

Just because you bid too high doesn't mean the value went up

I enjoy my DX12 but picked it up last year for...a lot less than $500. I haven't followed prices on it lately but that seems really high for that figure...that said if you feel like you are getting $500 worth of enjoyment from it then it was a good deal.

Same here. I got mine nearly two years ago MISB for roughly $300 I think it was. $500 I feel is way too steep for that figure, considering that's about the most I would (and did) pay for DX07 Bespin Luke last year on the secondary market and that comes with two figures and much more accessories. However, something is worth as much as you value it. If you feel DX12 is worth $500, then that's what it's worth.

The die cast Mark VI was a good choice, and a good one to use your 10% off coupon on.

But you got had paying $500 for a DX12. Someone has to just be blunt with you, lol. eBay prices fluctuate wildly and it's a good rule of thumb to spend months watching the prices on a figure this old, not just a couple weeks. Be patient and shop around. When people post that they highly doubt it will be a $900 figure next year but anything could happen, what they are really saying, in their most polite way, is that there is actually not a chance in hell of that happening. Figures that are much more rare and sought after haven't even approached that price. Also, I think most agree that the Armory version is the better figure anyway, and that's still available at retail.

My advice--don't get caught up in only buying new/sealed figures. From checking eBay it looks like most used DX12s have been going for $200-300. So you could have literally saved hundreds buying used, and a lot of the time these figures were just put straight into a detolf and were barely even touched by human hands.

Anyway, use it as a lesson to learn from in the future. Welcome to your new crack!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a feeling most people regret a purchase or two. I was going to order 2 leonidus figures when it first went up for pre-order and was talked out of it. Then I bought 1 for $500. I don't regret the purchase, but it does make me more wary of how I play with it. Of course if I had stuck to the original plan, I probably would have enjoyed the toys more.

500 is a not a good price for DX12- be patient and I've seen them go under 300 but shipper might be opened. Going rate in low 300's I believe.
However do not regret buying it- I have made some mistakes buying for too much but I have learned to be patient and scour and bid/buy on prices i'm comfortable with. You will find out,
I once had two DX11s but sold them on Ebay when I thought prices were really high- 400!! I thought they would drop in price later but I was mistaken.

DX12 was easy to buy right after the better Armory version was released but yes they have gone up

Last edited:
Same here. I got mine nearly two years ago MISB for roughly $300 I think it was. $500 I feel is way too steep for that figure, considering that's about the most I would (and did) pay for DX07 Bespin Luke last year on the secondary market and that comes with two figures and much more accessories. However, something is worth as much as you value it. If you feel DX12 is worth $500, then that's what it's worth.

Yep..I paid under $500 for the DX11 last year so cannot imagine getting into that territory for the 12...

My advice--don't get caught up in only buying new/sealed figures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also there can be plenty of quality issues with Hot Toys, some people might value a sealed package but I sure don't. I'd much rather have an opened and inspected figure than roll the dice on something that could easily have big flaws inside a sealed package buying from a 3rd party. I'll buy new from Sideshow or something where I can get replacement parts or an exchange.

What was the big difference between armory and dx12 if I just want the Batman figure? Which one is the one to get?

Also there can be plenty of quality issues with Hot Toys, some people might value a sealed package but I sure don't. I'd much rather have an opened and inspected figure than roll the dice on something that could easily have big flaws inside a sealed package buying from a 3rd party. I'll buy new from Sideshow or something where I can get replacement parts or an exchange.

Exactly. Many people value a MISB item, however, the downside to that is you don't know what problems may await you. There's utterly nothing wrong with buying a figure used from a private party because you get to see pictures of the actual figure and the seller will generally tell you what problems there are, if any. I presume most collectors of these figures know the value of these things and take good care of them, so it's not like the thing is going to be beat to hell.

What was the big difference between armory and dx12 if I just want the Batman figure? Which one is the one to get?

I believe the biggest difference is the Armory version has a bit better sculpt from what consensus is on here. However, as a whole, the nuances between the two are so minimal that it's a case of where if you have the DX12 already, there's no need to have to upgrade to the Armory version, but if you have neither and are looking to get one or the other, try and go for the Armory version.

Back