Star Wars vs Star Trek: I've just traded allegiance.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, the new Star Trek, to me, set how modern effects movies should be handled. The graphics and all were used to help tell the story, but the story wasn't crafted to create opportunities to use them. It had a strong, character driven story that could work without special effects. Lucas, by his own admission, got to engrossed in the freedoms that CGI allowed him in his storytelling to focus on the quality of the story. I love the entire Star Wars saga, but comparing the PT and OT after seeing this Trek, I feel the OT followed the same thing, there was a strong story and character really drove it. The PT felt more like a chance to paint a pretty picture. The OT is like a great novel, the PT is like a great painting. I'm not going to dwell on what the PT could have been or rip it apart, I like it, but, Abrams has given me hope that there are directors out there who can deliver good Sci-Fi.

I just got back from seeing Star Trek, and yes it's good. My only real disappointment was:

Spoiler Spoiler:

But anyway, while it was good, to me the whole appeal of Star Trek is that it's more cerebral, more character and story-driven. So I've never really cared that much for the movies -- the TV shows are Star Trek in my opinion. You have so much more time to develop a universe and characters on a TV show (or series of shows) than in a few feature-length movies. There are 716 episodes of the various Star Trek shows, and I've watched nearly all of them on DVD in the past few years. It's among the best TV ever made, and can really make you think. Star Wars is more about straight-up adventure and fantasy. Nothing wrong with that, but it's hard to compare the two.

I agree with those who say that it's not an either-or proposition. I've pretty much always been a fan of both. Yeah, I was a Star Wars fan as a small boy since that's all I was really exposed to, and if I had seen Star Trek I'm sure I would have thought it too slow and complicated to follow. But ever since I started watching Trek as a teenager, I've loved them both.

This Onion News Network video is actually pretty similar to how I feel about the new movie. :lol

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="https://www.hulu.com/embed/4U5KOErz3-1eqjxjTdUv-Q/0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.hulu.com/embed/4U5KOErz3-1eqjxjTdUv-Q/0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Just to be clear, I'm not bashing the film in any way. I think it would be great if it made more people interested in Star Trek, since I'd eventually like to see another TV show.

Last edited:
:lol :lol I'm sure that cuts deep for a lot of fans.

However, I found one grain of truth in that well of facetiousness:

"The bigger issue is that fans felt like Star Trek belonged to them and now the studios is turning it into something people would actually like."

I actually disagree with your spoiler icruise:

Spoiler Spoiler:

As for changing allegiances; I'm still a bigger Star Wars fan... but this movie was excellent and it was exciting to see a new Star Trek emerge from what has been a pretty barren landscape the past few years.

I actually disagree with your spoiler icruise:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Well, that's kind of what I said in the second part, no?

Haven't seen it yet but my thoughts on changing the timeline are thus: even if the original timeline has now ceased to exist in the Star trek universe - it still exists to be enjoyed in our reality. Furthermore I don't think it rules out further novels, comics or even tv shows set in the original unaltered timeline. Whats to stop anyone writing a story that takes place before Eric Bana's character decided to >>>> things up? Theres also nothing to stop someone writing a story set in the time period of Star Trek Enterprise since that supposedly takes place before any of the rest. Its all wide open again. They can now rewrite existing Trek history according to the new start provided by this film or as I said they can continue to tell stories in the old universe taking place prior to Eric Bana travelling through time.

Anyway, I presume I'm going to like this film. Always been more of a Star Wars fan but I believe theres room for both. Plus Star wars hasn't been good since the eighties so Trek probably has a far greater output of genuinely good material by now.

Diora Baird >>>>>>>>>>>> Rachel Nicols. Plus, Orion Slave Girls always get mistaken for She-Hulk anyway. :lol

No question. It was the only disappointing thing in the film where I didn't get to see Diora. :(

I just got back from seeing Star Trek, and yes it's good. My only real disappointment was:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I thought that was a huge development as well.
Spoiler Spoiler:

I love both and I always have. I think for me they never competed each other, there like chalk and cheese.
The only thing they have in common, is that they both have spaceships in them.

Serenity tried to be like Star Wars, That's why it sucked

But that film is still better than Episodes 1 + 2.

But that film is still better than Episodes 1 + 2.

Serenity's a great film, but in saying that it still looked like a TV movie. The new Star Trek is a fantastically successful reboot. But why on earth can't we like all these franchises? Comparing them is all a bit pointless, no?

Love both... I do. :peace

Spoiler Spoiler:

Love both... I do. :peace

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I love Han Solo... love, love, love him. One of my favorite characters. Such a bad ass...

Spoiler Spoiler:

When I don't wish to debate an issue with someone, I'll say "This like arguing politics, religion and SW vs. ST, nobody's mind is going to change." Many times this causes the discussion to shift gears. If it doesn't, I walk away...

... like I'm doing now ;)

Plot synopsis:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Does that sound very familliar at all. :lol
-theropod

Same with me. I loved Trek long before Star Wars, and also SPACE:1999. But STAR WARS changed my life...It was almost like sensory overload.

I was a Star Trek fan waaaaay before Star Wars arrived. But when SW debuted in 1977 I was like every other 10 year old and went nuts for SW!

I've love them both equally and I'm glad to see that ST is coming back strong. :D

Back