Star Wars vs Star Trek: I've just traded allegiance.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never got into Star Trek...I tried a few times but couldn't get into any of the movies. Then I tried the TV shows...Figure I'll give this movie that came out the benefit of the doubt especially with Whedon behind it. My heart will always love Star Wars though. Nobody can take away from the Original Trilogy.

:lol

I remember as a kid the line was pretty much drawn that you were either a Jedi or a Trekkie. What I saw in the old Star Trek was boring, more monologue and dialogue then actual Storytelling which the original Lucas team had in spades. Now its funny that its flipped. I find the Clone Wars stuff utterly boring, which is sad because I used to long for something about the Clone Wars ever since hearing that line in ANH, and this new Star Trek amazingly interesting and with a high probablity of being addicting. I still am anxious to see the TV Series but the bar is really high because this Science Fiction kicks the hell out of anything done in Star Wars in recent times (even a couple of the prequels) IMHO and the Space Fantasy has to really come with it even if its in a smaller medium.

I remember when Independence Day came out. I thought it was better than Star Wars. Now I realize I was just a stupid kid at the time. :lol

I'm 35. I've seen too much to be swayed by NEW. I see it for what it is, and for the genious in the way it was done.

When in fact it does. Saying that Spock Prime exists so that the Old Star Trek is alive is like saying because Michael Gough plays Alfred in Nolan's films that the Burton franchise can be treated like it wasn't erased.

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally, McFly. If Michael Gough played Alfred and referenced being from another timeline where Batman slept with Vicky Vale, fought the Penguin and Catwoman at the same time during Christmas, joined up with Robin to fight the Riddler and Two-Face at the same time, and then joined up with Batgirl too to fight Mr. Freeze, Bain (or is it Bane), and Poison Ivy, and explained how he (Alfred) got sent bak in time, thus altering Batman's beginnings, then yeah, you're right.

This has nothing to do with who is playing Spock, it's about what Spock Prime has known, which has not been pissed on by a Nolan director (no offense to Nolan and his Batman. It needed a straight up restart), but embraced and kept alive through his character. This is like the Terminator coming back in T2 to help blow up Cyberdine. It doesn't mean the future that Kyle came from to knock up Sarah didn't happen. It just means that it won't happen again.

While Spock Prime remembers what he remembers as time continues will be more of a fairy tale than anything else and not be replicated on screen not to mention when he goes to the New Vulcan he will be less of a factor in the Enterprise's history which will now be unfolded by Spock Composite (Quinto). It doesn't happen in a way that will keep Trek history in place, in fact quite the opposite. Not to mention that Spock Prime's knowledge of future technologies and his moving to New Vulcan will probably mean that the Vulcan race itself will be far superior than they ever would have because they'll be privy to a 150 year worth of technological advances.

You are absolutely right, and that in no way contradicts my case. Events from this movie forward will not be as they were, but the events we know from before this movie still happened to those same characters, just like the future that Kyle Reese left to come to 1984 won't happen the way it did, but it did happen, or we wouldn't have the current timeline.

Come to think of it, it's amazing how similar this concept is in both ST and TS. Weird.

My Dad got me into both.
We always had Trek on TV and he even took me to the cinema to see Star Trek the motion picture, thanks Dad :sleep
My Dad also got me all the first wave of Star Wars figures and took me to see all three Star Wars movies first week of release.
:chew:chew
Guess my father only has himself to blame that his son became a geek

I'm 35. I've seen too much to be swayed by NEW. I see it for what it is, and for the genious in the way it was done.

You wise old sage, I have so much to learn in the six years it takes for me to reach your age. :lol

I enjoy both for what they are but I never really collected anything ST. That said I would however buy a ST figure now! ;)

Guys, I think the "too soon" comments are correct. If you still feel the same way once the DVD has come out, go for it. Remember though, there is a Star Wars live-action tv show on the horizon which rumors state is to include Boba Fett. Also don't forget that most definitely anything you say here will likely come back to haunt you in a quote. I'd rather be 100% sure of an opinion on this level, than look like a ****** with my words used against me after posting contradictory at a later date. :lol

Serenity tried to be like Star Wars, That's why it sucked

I hate to throw another space genre entry into the mix to cloud the issue, but I loved Serenity, especially the TV show Firefly it started as. It was nothing like Star Wars IMO. Firefly was a Western set in space. Brilliant. Most people didn't get it though, so now it's gone. Great characters, great interaction, cleverly twisting stories. Watch the TV show (only 16 episodes) and you will wish they had made more.

I didn't know you could only choose one side?

You don't and I haven't really. I never hated Star Trek, and I don't hate Star Wars now. But the one that is currently superior (in regard to what each is providing for our immediate enjoyment) is Star Trek by lightyears. Star Wars is pissing on its fanbase by continuing to go after the kids market to create new fans that will by new toys, which is smart money, which is what Lucas is a master at, but Star Trek did right by its fans old and new. That's my point.

I love both and I always have. I think for me they never competed each other, there like chalk and cheese.
The only thing they have in common, is that they both have spaceships in them.

Serenity tried to be like Star Wars, That's why it sucked

Hear hear! And let me add that the TOS was awesome, why all the hate on it? Like Star Trek is all of a sudden good. Star Trek was always good, at least TOS and the first six movies (give or take a few...). Star wars is awesome too, but they aren't much a like. I always considered Star Wars to be more Fantasy then Sci-fi.

You wise old sage, I have so much to learn in the six years it takes for me to reach your age. :lol

:lolDon't you think your 16 year old self could learn so much from your 29 year old self? You , yourself made the case that you thought ID4 was awesome til you grew out of it. Now you know better don't you? Sounds like you don't have anything to learn from me, padawan.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am going to see the movie tonight I assume it will be good and I will really like it but Star Trek will never replace Star Wars in my mind, no matter how good this movie is Star Trek can never reach the level of Star Wars. The amount of books and stories and lore in the EU just makes Star Wars all that much better. I will admit the new Star Trek could be better than the prequels (anything is better than Episode 2) but I don't see anything ever being able to replace Star Wars to me. Plus Star Trek's stories were always so bland and boring to me.

So when do reckon there will be a Thread demanding Hot Toys make 1/6th Star Trek, or is there one already? :D

I love collectind Sideshow Star Wars figures, but I still have no interest in Star Trek figures no matter how great the movie is. See, I still have my childhood allegaince left.

Anybody know when this ST TV series is supposed to start. I remember hearing rumors a while back, but I thought they scrapped it. I sure hope it has a more mature flavor than the Clone Wars stuff does.

:lolDon't you think your 16 year old self could learn so much form your 29 year old self? You , yourself made the case that you thought ID4 was awesome til you grew out of it. Now you know better don't you? Sounds like you don't have anything to learn from me, padawan.:rolleyes:

So in the last 13 years, I:

Graduated from college
Got my Master's degree
Got Married
Got a job
Bought a house
Had a kid

In the next 6 years, I plan to:

Have another kid?

I don't think I have much more to grow between now and 35, buddy.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is I really don't care where you allegiances lie. I've been around long enough to know that "flavors of the month" can effect people.

You may very well turn into the world's biggest Star Trek fan. I wish you the best of luck in that endeavor. :lol

:duff

Hear hear! And let me add that the TOS was awesome, why all the hate on it? Like Star Trek is all of a sudden good. Star Trek was always good, at least TOS and the first six movies (give or take a few...). Star wars is awesome too, but they aren't much a like. I always considered Star Wars to be more Fantasy then Sci-fi.

I concur. Both franchises are great (though I admit I do like 'Star Trek' just a bit more than 'Star Wars'). I will add that ST:TNG was one of the best Sci-Fi TV shows (just very compelling TV for many years) and a few of the spin off movies were good (First Contact, and some of Generations and Nemesis). Many of the spin off TOS films were great too...'Wrath of Khan' (KHAAAAAAN!!!), 'The Voyage Home' etc. Not everything in the 'Star Trek' franchise has been good, some of the films were real stinkers, some of the TV shows were not that great, but overall there's been more good than bad IMO. I can see where many find 'Star Trek' boring of course, which is a pity because 'Star Trek' really has some great characters and storylines.

Back