Star Wars vs Star Trek: I've just traded allegiance.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, we're still arguing about this, but somehow Shrek got thrown into the mix. ??? Okay.

I just remembered this clip and thought I'd post it from way back at the premier of Ep II covered by Triumph for Conan O'Brien. Even then, Spock new what was up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/pQj_bwMf7DM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/pQj_bwMf7DM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Best Sci-Fi movie I've ever watched!

I'm even going to say that this better than any of the 3 Star Wars prequel and thats coming from a big Star Wars fan like me.

The pace, the story, the action, everything was executed perfectly. This is a perfect example of how a reboot/remake or whatever u call it, should be done.

I used to think Star Trek was just bunch of ppl on a ship that kept talking...but this film has definitely changed my opinion of Star Trek.

Everyone should watch it!!!!

Best Sci-Fi movie I've ever watched!

I'm even going to say that this better than any of the 3 Star Wars prequel and thats coming from a big Star Wars fan like me.

The pace, the story, the action, everything was executed perfectly. This is a perfect example of how a reboot/remake or whatever u call it, should be done.

I used to think Star Trek was just bunch of ppl on a ship that kept talking...but this film has definitely changed my opinion of Star Trek.

Everyone should watch it!!!!

And yet how quickly people forget that without Lucas, Star Wars and ILM, this film would've just been another "Cue smoke and sparks. Okay everybody, now lean to the left!" :lol

And yet how quickly people forget that without Lucas, Star Wars and ILM, this film would've just been another "Cue smoke and sparks. Okay everybody, now lean to the left!" :lol

hmm...apparently, you didn't really understood what I typed.

But never mind :rolleyes:

Everyone please watch this movie, oh and while your at it....pls remember what George Lucas, Star Wars & ILM did for the Sci-Fi movie industry. Because without them, there would be no Star Trek movie or any other Sci-Fi movie.

Doesn't matter how it got there; just that it is there.

If anybody really wants to say what came first and who's to take the credit, remember Star Wars came out in '77. Trek if from the 60's.

Trek started it.
Wars perfected it.
Wars dropped the ball.
Trek picked it up and made a touch down.

Doesn't matter how it got there; just that it is there.

If anybody really wants to say what came first and who's to take the credit, remember Star Wars came out in '77. Trek if from the 60's.

Trek started it.
Wars perfected it.
Wars dropped the ball.
Trek picked it up and made a touch down.

quoted for truth!!!

Trek started it.
Trek dropped the ball and wasn't seen until after ANH
Wars perfected it.
Wars dropped the ball.
Trek dropped the ball with Nemesis, Insurrection, Voyager, and Enterprise.
Trek picked it up thanks to a Star Wars fan and made a touch down.
Unfortunately, it's late in the fourth quarter and Trek is down by two touchdowns, but the momentum has shifted.

Modified. :D

Note: I loved the new Trek and can't wait for the sequel.

Why must there always be a comparison drawn between ST and SW? Is it because of a common word in their names? I'm not aware of how Trek inspired SW, having read lots about the origins of SW. Lucas was inspired by 30s serials, Kurosawa films, and Campbell's mythology lectures. It's not like Trek had some monopoly on space sci-fi.

The problem with Star Trek is that it's always mired in either politics or pseudoscience (tachyons, subspace, red matter, come on..) to impress geeks. It's the kind of stuff that get boring after repeated viewings. It's a sterile universe with no soul like SW has, the OT for me anyway. SW is fun and it resonates more with people emotionally. The space setting is just a backdrop, which is why I consider it more a space opera more than science fiction.

The new Trek movie was more of a setup, but I loved it, and I'll like to see how they move forward with the revived franchise. Hope they don't abuse time travel.

OK. So we have determined that the writers intentionally "Star Wars-ized" the Star Trek redeaux. And we have determined that the new Star Trek is a very good (possibly great?) movie. And we have also finally brought down the wall between Star Wars and Star Trek.

Therefore, I hereby declare that it is OK for Star Wars fans to embrace the new Star Trek in order to show the Trekkies that we acknowledge their acceptance of Star Wras as the winner in the 30+-year-old rivalry.

Edit - I also want to thank the writers of Star Trek Wars for giving George Lucas the way to fix the prequel trilogy.

Trek started it.
Wars perfected it.
Wars dropped the ball.
Unfortunately, it's late in the fourth quarter and Trek is down by two touchdowns, but the momentum has shifted.

:banana Loved Trek too. No Trek will ever as good or popular as SW but they are a fun watch.

Agreed but said writer/director dismissed the original producer after Empire for disagreeing with his script decisions and hired yes men...Big mistake.:monkey2

:lecture This was the start of Lucas' downfall as a writer/director. Every creative machine needs some opposition to their work. It's a great way for the creator to refine their work - make it better. Lucas being the powerhouse that was his own studio lost those creative filters - honest opinions, and replaced them with scared robots that just smile and agree with what he says.

Trek started it.
Wars perfected it.
Wars dropped the ball.

I can pretty much agree with everything FQRizzo stated, reemphasizing the adjustments.

Was it a great movie? Absolutely, there's no doubt about it. Is it better than the Star Wars Saga? IMO, no. Personally, a single film isn't going to replace the decades of fond memories about a franchise for me. I'm not a fair weather loyalist nor am I that shallow of a fan. What'cha gonna do if the next film blows donkeys? Run back to Star Wars? :huh

Something else that's funny is how children are affected by the films. My daughter is easily captivated by the fantasy aspect of Star Wars. Star Trek and all the techno babble, not so much.

Why must there always be a comparison drawn between ST and SW? Is it because of a common word in their names? I'm not aware of how Trek inspired SW, having read lots about the origins of SW. Lucas was inspired by 30s serials, Kurosawa films, and Campbell's mythology lectures. It's not like Trek had some monopoly on space sci-fi.

The problem with Star Trek is that it's always mired in either politics or pseudoscience (tachyons, subspace, red matter, come on..) to impress geeks. It's the kind of stuff that get boring after repeated viewings. It's a sterile universe with no soul like SW has, the OT for me anyway. SW is fun and it resonates more with people emotionally. The space setting is just a backdrop, which is why I consider it more a space opera more than science fiction.

The new Trek movie was more of a setup, but I loved it, and I'll like to see how they move forward with the revived franchise. Hope they don't abuse time travel.

Well, for me 'Star Trek' has much more of an emotional punch than 'Star Wars' (but that's because I've invested far more into the 'Star Trek' franchise than I ever did 'Star Wars'). The appeal to 'Star Trek' (for myself) was always the characters and then the stories. Between the two main crews I followed on TV and in the movies (OST and ST:TNG) there has been many laughs, love, families, death, etc. The death of Spock still gets me every time I'm watching 'Wrath of Khan'. Data's journey to understand humanity and to even become a bit more human has always been fascinating. The Friendship between Bones, Kirk and Spock, Will Crusher growing up and all that involved, Beverly and Jon Luc, the death of Tasha Yar and so on and so forth.

I think for many of us some of the fandoms we hold dear to us go back to our childhood it seems (or at least that's what I'm gathering from some of the posts here). Lots of 'My dad took me to see 'Star Wars' in the theater' and such. For myself I remember quite fondly sitting with my dad on the couch watching episodes of the original 'Star Trek' series during it's hey day of syndication. That's where I was hooked on the series. How I wish he hadn't passed way, as he and I would have been geeking over ST:TNG when it was first on the air, and how we would have had a great time watching the newest Trek film.

This is all not to say I don't like 'Star Wars'. I do like that franchise (well, the original three films anyways), I've just always been a bigger fan of 'Star Trek'.

Well, for me 'Star Trek' has much more of an emotional punch than 'Star Wars' (but that's because I've invested far more into the 'Star Trek' franchise than I ever did 'Star Wars'). The appeal to 'Star Trek' (for myself) was always the characters and then the stories. Between the two main crews I followed on TV and in the movies (OST and ST:TNG) there has been many laughs, love, families, death, etc. The death of Spock still gets me every time I'm watching 'Wrath of Khan'. Data's journey to understand humanity and to even become a bit more human has always been fascinating. The Friendship between Bones, Kirk and Spock, Will Crusher growing up and all that involved, Beverly and Jon Luc, the death of Tasha Yar and so on and so forth.

I think for many of us some of the fandoms we hold dear to us go back to our childhood it seems (or at least that's what I'm gathering from some of the posts here). Lots of 'My dad took me to see 'Star Wars' in the theater' and such. For myself I remember quite fondly sitting with my dad on the couch watching episodes of the original 'Star Trek' series during it's hey day of syndication. That's where I was hooked on the series. How I wish he hadn't passed way, as he and I would have been geeking over ST:TNG when it was first on the air, and how we would have had a great time watching the newest Trek film.

This is all not to say I don't like 'Star Wars'. I do like that franchise (well, the original three films anyways), I've just always been a bigger fan of 'Star Trek'.

I appreciate your comments.

Allow me to clarify, back in the day I was big into TNG while it was running, all the way upto the finale "All Good Things..". The mid-90s was one of the peak eras for a Trek fan. I was too young to know the original series, but did catch some reruns at odd time slots. Found the TOS interesting, but I was already warmed up to the TNG crew. TNG had excellent characterizations, even if not much of a greater story arc. DS9 probably had the best story arcs of all the TV series. Voyager got a bit stale for me after a while, but it hit its stride. As time went on, I grew out of Trek, and the mishandling of the franchise by Brennan/Braga. I totally missed on Enterprise, liked the casting choice of Bakula as the captain, but by then I was already knee deep into SW.

I wasn't even SW fan until about 2000. I'm from the VHS generation. The prequel era is what definitively drew me in as a fanboy, and the wave of high end collectibles amplified my love for the franchise, perhaps more than it deserved. SW falling out of favor for me though. I've scaled back on it. It's just the OT that matters to me at this point.

I've been disconnected from Trek for too long, perhaps I'll find its 'soul' again in the 80s movies and TNG/DS9 reruns. I agree with your assessment on Trek's better characterizations, and that to me is the reason I'll give it another chance.

Back