Prop Star Wars Ultimate Studio Edition Prop Replicas - Prop Shop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars Ultimate Studio Edition Prop Replicas

The shipping on this Vader helmet is around $500 I think. So the whole thing is basically the equivalent of 20 HT sixth scale figures money wise. The lack of display case on the sabers leaves something to be desired. I would probably try and get an MR acrylic case to display one of the sabers if I ever grabbed one (which I won't--can't justify the cost for what it is).

TFA was a cool film, I enjoyed it, but no matter how cool the props are, it is easy for me to pass on them. This is the reason I'm glad I don't collect outside my Original Trilogy Imperials focus (even the few exceptions are from OT too). It would kill my limited budget and display space.

The sad thing is, its practices like this that do damage to the hobby. They are offering a low quality product (albeit good looking) for an insane amount of money. Let's face it, plastic used in 3D printing is unlikely to stand the test of time, and angry customers can spell doom for a company.

My prediction is if they manage to sell these replicas, the crates will be the first thing to go. At $500 for shipping, I don't nderstand how anybody can rationalize this.

Man I hope this doesn't mean the end of all hope for an MR-like line later on :pray:

I guess not since Anovos is also making an accurate Kylo helmet for much less money, and in two versions at that, but what I am really interested in is lightsabers. If all we get is $1k 3D-printed ones that will suck, so bad...
Those prices are simply insane when you take into account that MR made theirs with heavy metals, various plastics and even gold plating in a couple cases (assembled in Asia ofc but still...). eFX's Maul saber was a reproduction of the one used by the actor as well, but nowhere near that price.
Also the whole "made in the UK but will only ship to the US" thing is crazy, what a strange decision.

Also the whole "made in the UK but will only ship to the US" thing is crazy, what a strange decision.
"Strange" is a nice way of putting it, but yeah, I understand what you're saying and agree. I don't get this decision.

I think the shipping issues is because of licensing. I'm kinda sure it will be addressed later. As for the future prices of props this might be it indeed. At least for limited edition licensed ones. Anovos is licensed but they make costumes so don't think limited applies there. EFX makes licensed props but there is a long time since we've seen something from them already. And with more SW movies coming not sure how prop world is going to be in the end...

I think the shipping issues is because of licensing. I'm kinda sure it will be addressed later. As for the future prices of props this might be it indeed. At least for limited edition licensed ones. Anovos is licensed but they make costumes so don't think limited applies there. EFX makes licensed props but there is a long time since we've seen something from them already. And with more SW movies coming not sure how prop world is going to be in the end...

I am fine with them not being limited editions if that's what it takes for us to get nice props at a decent price :pray:

I'm glad that I only collect OT props and statues. No appeal here for me...

I still can't get over how dumb this line is in every respect. It has literally nothing going for it. If it were posted on April 1st I would have thought it was an April Fools joke. Seriously, whoever at Lucasfilm approved this needs a good slap upside the head.

The Propshop replicas are made by one of the companies who made props that were used in the film. And the individual people making the replicas are more talented (ostensibly) than the factory laborers who do the work for EFX, MR, Sideshow, Anovos, or any other licensed company.

That's really it. To me it's worth more to get something made by an artist versus something made in a factory by people who have no idea what it is they're painting or weathering, but the prices still are more than I had expected, and so I haven't caved (yet.) Although, anyone thinking that the prices are completely outrageous only needs to look up most of the old Master Replicas pieces, which sell for comparable amounts of money on eBay and elsewhere. And given the range of very expensive clothing that's based off of TFA designs (www.matchlesslondon.com), as well as the replica sections of the Falcon that are being sold for 6 figures, I think it's safe to assume that they're beginning to target a new bracket of the market (of people who make more money than I do, to be sure.)

The Propshop replicas are made by one of the companies who made props that were used in the film. And the individual people making the replicas are more talented (ostensibly) than the factory laborers who do the work for EFX, MR, Sideshow, Anovos, or any other licensed company.

That's really it. To me it's worth more to get something made by an artist versus something made in a factory by people who have no idea what it is they're painting or weathering, but the prices still are more than I had expected, and so I haven't caved (yet.) Although, anyone thinking that the prices are completely outrageous only needs to look up most of the old Master Replicas pieces, which sell for comparable amounts of money on eBay and elsewhere. And given the range of very expensive clothing that's based off of TFA designs (www.matchlesslondon.com), as well as the replica sections of the Falcon that are being sold for 6 figures, I think it's safe to assume that they're beginning to target a new bracket of the market (of people who make more money than I do, to be sure.)

Of course it's worth more. Just not that much more.

The MR pieces EARNED their prices and were at first very reasonably priced, several times less than this. It took years and years for most of them to first, become sold out, and then reach such prices. Not to mention you get a lot more for your money, the pieces are built using various materials, including heavy metals, hard and soft plastics, etc... That's way more interesting than a 3D printed lightsaber replica.

Those TFA replicas are instantly priced for as much or more money than some very sought after MR pieces. They can't just use the excuse "look at the MR prices on eBay, makes sense that new replicas should cost more than $1k". That's not how it works.
There is no doubt that they are targeting a different market with those and they will probably sell quite a few, but if they don't come up with an alternative in the Anovos price range for weapons, they are going to miss out on so much sales.
Currently, all the MR and eFX (Reveal) Luke Skywalker lightsabers sell for a small fortune on eBay. Luke will wield his lightsaber again in Episode VIII (confirmed). Even if they release a $600 replica, it will sell like hot cakes. But twice that price for a 3D printed 1 lbs lightsaber... Crazy.

Of course it's worth more. Just not that much more...
This is all down to personal opinion, it had been quite some time since MR or EFX released one of their sabers, and so I'm not sure how much less expensive those "cheaper" options would be were they to be offered today.

Not to mention you get a lot more for your money, the pieces are built using various materials, including heavy metals, hard and soft plastics, etc... That's way more interesting than a 3D printed lightsaber replica...
It's been confirmed that all of the Propshop pieces are made of more than just 3D printed materials, the Kylo saber for example is largely forged metal, the Rey staff is largely metal, etc.

They can't just use the excuse "look at the MR prices on eBay, makes sense that new replicas should cost more than $1k". That's not how it works.
I wasn't suggesting that this was their rationale or excuse to charge the amounts of money they have. I only said that as a comparison for us as buyers. A Propshop Kylo Ren saber that's made out of the same materials as the screen-used prop can be purchased from a company that worked on some of the props used on screen in TFA, for about the same cost as what some of the more desirable original trilogy MR sabers sell for currently. That seems pretty good to me. Anyone's free to their opinions as to what's worth how much, but that's what I meant.

This is all down to personal opinion, it had been quite some time since MR or EFX released one of their sabers, and so I'm not sure how much less expensive those "cheaper" options would be were they to be offered today.

It's been confirmed that all of the Propshop pieces are made of more than just 3D printed materials, the Kylo saber for example is largely forged metal, the Rey staff is largely metal, etc.

I wasn't suggesting that this was their rationale or excuse to charge the amounts of money they have. I only said that as a comparison for us as buyers. A Propshop Kylo Ren saber that's made out of the same materials as the screen-used prop can be purchased from a company that worked on some of the props used on screen in TFA, for about the same cost as what some of the more desirable original trilogy MR sabers sell for currently. That seems pretty good to me. Anyone's free to their opinions as to what's worth how much, but that's what I meant.

My bad, didn't see your post. You bring up some great points I wasn't aware of regarding the fact that they include more materials than just 3D-printing plastic. That's a major factor for sure.

That being said, still way too expensive in my opinion. By a solid $350 margin I would say, even taking into account current prices for the MR pieces. Plenty of them are still available in the $400-$800 range (some even brand new/unopened). Just got a Yoda EPIII for $380 including shipping.
Also the eFX Maul was released in what... 2012? For $350-$400 I think? Including a signed plaque. That's not enough time to justify such a jump in price on newly released items imo.

I was coming back to the thread to mention that they had a booth at Celebration, and I wanted to ask if they were selling their products there. That would be surprising since they are only shipping to the US for now and obviously Celebration was in the UK with potential customers from all over the world attending the event. Unfortunately I haven't seen any unboxing vids on YouTube other than the Vader helmet one.

Has anyone found some good photos of the Rey lightsaber ? Not that I am getting one but I am curious to see how it looks in hand.

For someone who comes in talking **** like that I'll believe you actually own these props when I see photographic proof. Until then I'll assume you're full of *it* and just looking for attention. Keep up the great work!

Alright Bent 72
I'll post pics in 16 weeks or as soon as this item (melted Vader) is delivered. I really can't afford this but I work a lot, 800 plus hours Over Time since January. Hoping to get atleast 800 more before the end of the year.
I am a true fan willing to work hard to get the things I want.

Congrats, can't wait to see your pics. That shipping and tax is harsh.

Do I think you're a little crazy for paying that much money for something that I don't think is worth it? Sure. But most people would say the same thing about the rest of us as well. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. But maybe try being a little less aggressive in the future :)

Congrats, can't wait to see your pics. That shipping and tax is harsh.

Harsh? I'd say it's downright criminal. You could get some pretty nice props for just that shipping and tax.

Congrats Boboli, probably my favorite item from Prop Shop. Now just try to be a bit less aggressive and take things less personally because as far as I can remember, people were just casually talking about the high prices and you jumped in all pissed off and offended (and you had yet to order anything from Prop Shop).

Tax seems very reasonable to me :lol
If the same item came from the US to France, taxes alone would be more than $800 (which is why you should never declare real value :lol).

Shipping is insane though, I have had guitars shipped to me from the US (much heavier/bigger box) for $140. Not sure how they came up with that figure.
Well it's UPS so ofc it's more expensive than USPS Priority Mail but still, seems a bit crazy. I would never agree to pay more than 10% of the price of an item this expensive in shipping. Never have, never will.

Back