Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015) Discussion Thread

"They're animals and I slaughtered them like animals. And not just the manlings, but the womanlings and the younglings..."

I have no interest in seeing a series of movies based off of the plethora of EU stories, games, ect.

But why?

96Tvw.jpg

Youngling is purely another example of Lucas' dodgy dialogue, the prequels are so littered with it i'm suprised the characters could move.

Then again some of the dialogue sounded to good to have come from Lucas.

I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the Universe

I have no interest in seeing a series of movies based off of the plethora of EU stories, games, ect.

Surely a screenplay that used Darksaber as a basis of the story would be interesting?

Actually I meant not Shadows of the Empire :slap, but The Thrawn storyline.

Marvel was thrown into it... to their credit, a few of their story arcs were pretty cool for the average 10 year old's scope (Valance the Hunter comes to mind). point is, decades later, the OT EU became closed in where as Marvel explored boundlessly...

And regarding the post-ROTJ EU, it was fun for a while because it stood in for a bunch of films we thought Lucas had given up on. But now they are happening and all of that stuff is about to become outside cannon. Mara Jade, adios.

For me, Star Wars is more than just a movie. I saw the movies in 1995. That same year, my cousin introduced me to "Dark Forces." Kenner relaunched the action figure line. It was the entire "Shadows of the Empire" multimedia cross-over that made me aware of the EU. I started with the child's novelization and found the "Jedi Prince" series on the shelf near it. I then stumbled across the "Tales from the..." Anthologies in the adult section of the library and got them. After that, there was no going back to the kiddie section. I read Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy and Stackpole's X-Wing series. Many of my duplicate figures of Luke, Han, and Leia became EU characters. Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Corran Horn, etc all became a part of my playtime adventures. They didn't make Katarn, Jade, or Thrawn until I quit playing with the toys. I got them of course and they took up their own special shelf because I loved that series so much.

A big problem I had with the prequels was taking a lot of established elements of the galaxy from the EU and twisting them every which way. Boba Fett and the clones fighting for the Republic were two things that were presented in a way I never had imagined nor thought were accurate to how I grew up with the stories of those characters and events.

Anyways, rant over. I am still hopeful they make this series fit with the EU. Give us a new cast, a cameo from Luke, and go. Don't mention what happened these 30-50 years since RotJ so you can all use your imagination or EU fans don't have to say goodbye to Mara Jade (or Kyle Katarn!). It can be done and done well. I will see these regardless of they disregard the EU or not but not sure I can openly embrace them.

Honestly I'm tired of seeing them try to shoehorn stories between episode _ and _. No more retconning! "But this is the story where Anakin looses his Padwan braid" I DON'T CARE. Turn the page.

And regarding the post-ROTJ EU, it was fun for a while because it stood in for a bunch of films we thought Lucas had given up on. But now they are happening and all of that stuff is about to become outside cannon. Mara Jade, adios.

THIS! :yess::clap:lecture:exactly:

Cautiously optimistic.

Just think one year from now filming will be well under way and the amount we will know will be insane.

That was excellent - I loved that, thanks for posting it Fiend! :hi5:

Kazanjian also said to Uncle George back in the day, that Return Of The Jedi was a weak title.

He got the bird on that one. :lol

Interesting clip.

Listening to Kasdan talk about how "it's Luke trilogy" a few things occur to me.

Luke in SW and Empire is a character that I can connect to. There's a coming of age story in the first film and a facing destiny story in the second. But in Jedi Luke was very detached and as an audience member it was hard to care about what happened to him.

Anyhow, in the next one Luke needs to follow Alec Guinness's example. Even with all he force mumbo jumbo Guinness created a fatherly character that you could care about.

BTW - I imagine Luke will have a student who will do the lightsaber action stuff, but can we please call him 'student'? Student is OT. Or Pupil. Padwan is PT and lame. Youngling is another word that needs to go away. And midiclorians.

Yeah, I really dug that video. Like where Kazdan was saying he's really writing to what he thinks George would like etc. rather than what he himslf would have written. :lol

I never like the youngling thing. ANd like some guys already mentioned it I always though it to be a term for young Jedi in training and not all children. Don't care if I hear it again.

As for the EU, I don't care if I see any of that stuff hit film. I never condsidered it canon but that's me. I hope they come up with something wholly original and fresh. And I hope I see new Star Wars movie I can love again.

I would really like them to do it based of the Legacy comics, it would actually work perfectly. But it seems like they really want to do something with the OT characters.

Lucas probably gave Kathy or whomever the outline of 7,8,9 etc. And then they will run with it as seen fit.

Dis is the BS that will occur.

Movie will come out and be ESB worthy of recognition and success.

Disney will then come out and release a statement that it's all owed to Lucas's vision. :gah:

GL haters will then come out and bow at his redemption and all will praise sir Lucas for bringing back SW to ESB quality.

Fin

:lol

Back