Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Fan Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, I see very little "debate" going on, and more, "your opinion is stupid and differs from mine, therefore you are stupid and must be destroyed".

Ultimately, on the dark side of things, that's where debates end up -- at war.

I think its easier for people to debate in small groups... once it gets larger, and more fuel is added, it becomes simpler to just make grand statements one way or the other. The 'negative' group is no better than the 'positive' group when it comes to putting down the other side.

In fact, I see the negative people usually attacking just the film, where as its the positive group that starts attacking the other side directly with words like "haters".

I dunno why you guys let it bother you so much. Who cares if a bunch of people are negative all the time. You say your piece about the topic, engage with the people who share your opinion and ignore the rest. Can't it be that simple?

And I can point you to much worse places than SSF in any case. There are good, balanced people here. Just talk to those guys.
I know there are worse places, doesn't mean I shouldn't be bothered when a place I really enjoyed going to, takes a turn for the (much, much) worse.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think its easier for people to debate in small groups... once it gets larger, and more fuel is added, it becomes simpler to just make grand statements one way or the other. The 'negative' group is no better than the 'positive' group when it comes to putting down the other side.

In fact, I see the negative people usually attacking just the film, where as its the positive group that starts attacking the other side directly with words like "haters".
Neither side is innocent, im sure I may have said a few things im not proud of, but I have to disagree. In my experience I feel like the negative individuals have been far more aggressive lobbing insults at the sequel fans.

Well, that's probably true... but I don't see Negators trying to set up their own bubble to get away from the Positors.

I'm pretty split on TROS... I said its the best movie of the ST trilogy (by that I usually mean most re-watchable) but I also had a lot of problems with it along the way. And as is the case with all things JJ, the more I look at it, the more I find problems.

I'm pretty split on TROS... I said its the best movie of the ST trilogy (by that I usually mean most re-watchable) but I also had a lot of problems with it along the way. And as is the case with all things JJ, the more I look at it, the more I find problems.

It's too bad that he had to spend extra time getting narrative elements up to speed that should have been done in TLJ, namely Luke training Leia scenes and then Rey's own training montage. Compared to say ROTJ where all that stuff had been taken care of and they could move right on forward with the story. I think that the resulting 2.5 hour runtime for TROS will end up hurting it.

Not that long movies can't be record breakers; Titanic and EG are obvious proof of that, but I think that the runtime sweet spot for SW is right around two hours. In fact if I remember correctly the four best SW films, SW/ESB/ROTJ/RO, are also the shortest.

Well, that's probably true... but I don't see Negators trying to set up their own bubble to get away from the Positors.

Well of course they don't, because they thrive on attacking those that disagree with them. If you set up a "Bash Star Wars" thread, I wouldn't bother going in. I like healthy debate and discussion, but not constant day after day, bringing up the same tired complaints over and over, and when you get tired of giving a counter point to the same arguments they've spit out a thousand times before, they see it as some sort of victory.

It's too bad that he had to spend extra time getting narrative elements up to speed that should have been done in TLJ, namely Luke training Leia scenes and then Rey's own training montage. Compared to say ROTJ where all that stuff had been taken care of and they could move right on forward with the story. I think that the resulting 2.5 hour runtime for TROS will end up hurting it.

Not that long movies can't be record breakers; Titanic and EG are obvious proof of that, but I think that the runtime sweet spot for SW is right around two hours. In fact if I remember correctly the four best SW films, SW/ESB/ROTJ/RO, are also the shortest.
They definitely tried to fit too much in one movie, but man, there were some really great moments in that film.

It's too bad that he had to spend extra time getting narrative elements up to speed that should have been done in TLJ, namely Luke training Leia scenes and then Rey's own training montage. Compared to say ROTJ where all that stuff had been taken care of and they could move right on forward with the story.

JJ did have a lot to undo from the last movie -- and he really seemed to relish undoing it. I was very surprised that he attacked almost every key complaint point in some way... like Luke's saber catch and blatant admission that "He was wrong"... even stuff I didn't think was bad at all, like the Holdo maneuver.

Well of course they don't, because they thrive on attacking those that disagree with them.

I guess. Its unfortunate.

They definitely tried to fit too much in one movie, but man, there were some really great moments in that film.

Hell yeah there were. :rock

And I'm not disappointed with how those "makeup" scenes turned out in TROS, in fact I think they were done really well, I just feel that it will end up hurting the film's performance in the long run. But that's probably a good thing since I'm one of the folks that would prefer there to be a bit of a break from theatrical films now. I'm happy with the note they ended on and would be more than happy for them to just stick to Disney+ shows for a good long while now.

Hell yeah there were. :rock

And I'm not disappointed with how those "makeup" scenes turned out in TROS, in fact I think they were done really well, I just feel that it will end up hurting the film's performance in the long run. But that's probably a good thing since I'm one of the folks that would prefer there to be a bit of a break from theatrical films now. I'm happy with the note they ended on and would be more than happy for them to just stick to Disney+ shows for a good long while now.
Not me. Bring on more movies!

I like Mandalorian, but I don't think it's as good as i hear so many saying it is.

I feel like there were 2 or 3 really good episodes, 2 middle of the road ones, and 2 poor episodes. Im sure you can figure out which ones they were.

I watch them all the first day they are available, but I've stayed away from the thread.

Amazing, because you missed one of the most positive threads in the whole section.
Well, I left for some months (?) and really, what brought me back was missing my friends, and wanting to share some of the blu-ray sales I saw, cause I love saving money [emoji38]

But, I know my absence has damaged whatever camaraderie I had with many of you, and even now I wonder if I should have come back.

I dunno why you guys let it bother you so much. Who cares if a bunch of people are negative all the time. You say your piece about the topic, engage with the people who share your opinion and ignore the rest. Can't it be that simple?

And I can point you to much worse places than SSF in any case. There are good, balanced people here. Just talk to those guys.

True.

I agree that the positive people can be just as bad. But if all you are seeing is the negative attacking the film, then you aren't looking very closely. It's true for the most part they aren't attacking individuals (not now that more people are posting positive views of the film and the "gang protection" mentality isn't so clear cut), but the sweeping generalisations are pretty petty and nasty (heck I just made one, shame on me). But it is what it is and that is the only way some people think they can get their point across. I think it's pretty sad personally. The world is becoming more and more polarised and at the same time people are becoming more and more apathetic and unwilling to challenge it (or worn out by it). Not sure where it will all end. Not in a good place.

That's because their goal isn't to have a serious debate but to set fire wherever they can. Seriously go back just a few days and read backwards and it's a pretty vile thread. There is criticism and complaint and then there is just down right nasty and that's what it mostly was. Now some more positive reviews have come in it's toned down a little. After the demands that people explain themselves for liking the film and demands that sense is made of the bits they picked out as being issues, whenever someone offers a discussion on those, it gets ignored in favour of more petty infighting. I know you've tried to keep it light and inject at least some balance and reason for your position but some are just there to watch it all burn and throw gasoline when the embers start to die.

And now some real discussion is happening here in this thread so I'm going to shut up.

True.

I agree that the positive people can be just as bad. But if all you are seeing is the negative attacking the film, then you aren't looking very closely. It's true for the most part they aren't attacking individuals (not now that more people are posting positive views of the film and the "gang protection" mentality isn't so clear cut), but the sweeping generalisations are pretty petty and nasty (heck I just made one, shame on me). But it is what it is and that is the only way some people think they can get their point across. I think it's pretty sad personally. The world is becoming more and more polarised and at the same time people are becoming more and more apathetic and unwilling to challenge it (or worn out by it). Not sure where it will all end. Not in a good place.

That's because their goal isn't to have a serious debate but to set fire wherever they can. Seriously go back just a few days and read backwards and it's a pretty vile thread. There is criticism and complaint and then there is just down right nasty and that's what it mostly was. Now some more positive reviews have come in it's toned down a little. After the demands that people explain themselves for liking the film and demands that sense is made of the bits they picked out as being issues, whenever someone offers a discussion on those, it gets ignored in favour of more petty infighting. I know you've tried to keep it light and inject at least some balance and reason for your position but some are just there to watch it all burn and throw gasoline when the embers start to die.

And now some real discussion is happening here in this thread so I'm going to shut up.
That sounds pretty accurate.

I've notice a few people say there were moments that really stood as (ie, Pod Race, Maul lightsaber battle, in TPM).

Curious to see what everyone's standout moments were in TROS?

I've notice a few people say there were moments that really stood as (ie, Pod Race, Maul lightsaber battle, in TPM).

The scene on the death star ruins, after the battle, is my favorite.

Well, I left for some months (?) and really, what brought me back was missing my friends, and wanting to share some of the blu-ray sales I saw, cause I love saving money [emoji38]

But, I know my absence has damaged whatever camaraderie I had with many of you, and even now I wonder if I should have come back.

OMG, don't be silly, we're all glad to have you back.

I laughed when you said you came back to tell everyone how you saved money.

I loved the sabre battle amidst the crashing waves. Visually it was spectacular.

The two scenes that gave me the most feels though:

1. Chewies pure grief over Leia. You could truly feel his loss and I got the sense it was loss beyond just Leia but also at the last of the three best friends he ever had.

2. The arrival of that fleet at the end. The sheer scale of it cried out that the entire galaxy has finally banded together in total rejection of Palpatines empire and rule, and that despite his new power to strike at any of them at any time with his new fleet of planet killers, they were prepared to not bow down in fear, but stand together in defiance.

The scene on the death star ruins, after the battle, is my favorite.

Hopefully people are avoiding these threads if they don't want to be spoiled.

Yes the entire duel and aftermath on the DS wreckage was pretty much perfection for me.

The crashing blue waves that gave a reverse echo of the splashing lava of the Mustafar duel. The panic on Rey's face when she realized that the back and forth slicing maneuvers that defeated Kylo on Starkiller Base weren't working, and then of course Ben Solo's moment with you know who.

Back