Star Wars Saga (OT/PT/ST) Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Disney Park debate is interesting. I keep see articles about how they are failing miserably, and yet as a pass holder to Disneyland Anaheim, I can attest to the fact that Galaxy's Edge is not empty - by a long shot. I don't know if the argument that it's just full because it is new, is legitimate. It could be but there are little things that seem to suggest otherwise. For example the building your saber experience. It cost over $200 to do so and is not something that you can just walk up to and do, you have to make a reservation, and you have to do that in the morning because everything books up early. People just going because it's a new park and want to see some new stuff would not spend over $200 (on top of the close to $200 adult park hopper ticket they already bought) to "check it out."

The other thing to keep in mind is that Disny has had many disastrous openings in the past and they are fine now. You can't track success with Disneyland/World by openings alone. I mean the actual opening of the park was known as Black Sunday because it was so bad:

https://www.history.com/news/disneylands-disastrous-opening-day-60-years-ago

Epcot was a mess, Animal Kingdom was plagued by the deaths of the animals and Disney Paris was hated.

Bottom line is that you can read too much into openings (or overreact to them), if we did then Disneyland wouldn't even be around today. The problem with the internet and news articles in general is that they don't play the long game - no fun in that - everything has to be instant and that is not how real life works. I can tell you that right before Covid, Galaxy's Edge was packed, more so than other places in the park. My own eyes saw this time and again. So it may have finally gotten to the point that was going to allow it to turn a corner - everything that Xipotec is seeing in Orlando is happening the exact same way in Anaheim, it just seemed that people were ready for the land now. Of course Covid jacked-up everything and whole parks are in trouble (not just a land within them). It'll be interesting to see this all plays out now.

Also you have to remember that the media often gives people what they want. Many disgruntled SW fans wanted GE to fail. So, write a crap piece of journalism to capitalize on the current bandwagon......

Damn the other issues at play and blame is on the ?death? of Star Wars.....it sounds so much nicer. Not to mention the people who just hate Disney for some reason.

Overall, I think the past 2 years have been a success for GE.

Here is what I was referencing. Every yellow sold out reservation day you see here is for Hollywood Studios, home of Galaxy?s Edge. The only other park to be sold out is Magic Kingdom on Thanksgiving day.

Granted , some of that reason is due to Toy Story land as well. Another supposed dead franchise.

47f2555f76b86b4fa410a1e4bf3228c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it?s pt appreciation day today . According to what?s trending .

Well I?m appreciative of ROTS and all it?s glory

I assume Galaxys Edge is doing okay. Not great, but not dead either. Probably not as good it could have been with some of the damage the SW brand has taken lately.

Realistically, Disney is so massive that they can afford to keep things open that are losing money. It is all about offering different things to attract customers to your platter. When I used to work for supermarkets, the produce section was always a loss leader for the store. But you HAD to have a produce section to attract customers.

Galaxy Edge might be losing them money, but they invested a lot in it and it still brings in customers.

So it?s pt appreciation day today . According to what?s trending .

Well I?m appreciative of ROTS and all it?s glory

I watched ROTS recently after the last round of PT VS ST in the TROS thread and I didn't hate it as much as I normally do. :)

The last time I watched the PT was in 4K and after viewing TROS.

The 4K presentation was very nice and TROS helped save the PT for me and accept it as canon.

I've always like TPM :)

The last time I watched the PT was in 4K and after viewing TROS.

The 4K presentation was very nice and TROS helped save the PT for me and accept it as canon.

I've always like TPM :)

The only thing I re-watch from TPM is the Duel of the Fates sequence. From AOTC, Obi Wan brawling with Jango.

I watched ROTS recently after the last round of PT VS ST in the TROS thread and I didn't hate it as much as I normally do. :)

I enjoyed my last viewing of ROTS when watching it in between the final four episodes of TCW. Though even then it did suffer somewhat in comparison to the animated series just because cartoon Anakin is so much more likable. But still, when watched with the proper mindset and expectations ROTS (and the PT in general) is a fun enough alternative to the OT and ST for me.

TROS did make ROTS even creepier by imagining Padme getting strung up on a mechanical harness as a zombie/scaregrow (since TROS finally showed us what Palpatine's version of "cheating death" would entail.)

I assume Galaxys Edge is doing okay. Not great, but not dead either. Probably not as good it could have been with some of the damage the SW brand has taken lately.

Realistically, Disney is so massive that they can afford to keep things open that are losing money. It is all about offering different things to attract customers to your platter. When I used to work for supermarkets, the produce section was always a loss leader for the store. But you HAD to have a produce section to attract customers.

Galaxy Edge might be losing them money, but they invested a lot in it and it still brings in customers.

I?ve spent the last 21 years in executive management in the Theme Park and Attractions industry and bounced between Orlando, LA, Tokyo, and Osaka and have counted some of the folks who created Galaxy?s Edge as my colleagues over the years.
I could fill a thread with all of the factual reasons by most measures of what constitutes success in this Industry that I know a little about that Disney does not consider GE to be a success, and sadly overestimated the appeal of Star Wars, and were paying the price for that miscalculation well before Covid reared it?s head.

I?ve spent the last 21 years in executive management in the Theme Park and Attractions industry and bounced between Orlando, LA, Tokyo, and Osaka and have counted some of the folks who created Galaxy?s Edge as my colleagues over the years.
I could fill a thread with all of the factual reasons by most measures of what constitutes success in this Industry that I know a little about that Disney does not consider GE to be a success, and sadly overestimated the appeal of Star Wars, and were paying the price for that miscalculation well before Covid reared it?s head.

There you have it.

Just curious, jal76, do you know Bill Grayson?

There you have it.

Just curious, jal76, do you know Bill Grayson?

I do not Wor...but I have spent most of my time in Florida...the least amount on the west coast and Japan somewhere in between.

I love the ST but NOT basing GE on either:

A. Only the OT

or

B. All eras simultaneously (OT/PT/ST)

while instead focusing *solely* on the ST era with not even any locales from *those* films was the height of arrogance on KK's part and a colossal financial miscalculation.

I love the ST but NOT basing GE on either:

A. Only the OT

or

B. All eras simultaneously (OT/PT/ST)

while instead focusing *solely* on the ST era with not even any locales from *those* films was the height of arrogance on KK's part and a colossal financial miscalculation.

Agreed.. I like the ST but have no interest in the park as it does not focus on the OT.

No OT = no sale for me.

Current Content Only. Current Content. Current Content Current ContentCURRETCONTENTNCURRENENTCONTENTCUCRRENTNCONETENT!!!!

Goodnight.

So anyway, what's happening in SW-land? Haven't heard anything about upcoming films, or the series that were announced... Is everything still shut down?

Hell if I know why, but I just switched on AOTC on Disney Plus. Those Naboo spacecraft still look gorgeous; and the architecture on Coruscant is more beautiful than I remember it. Let's see if I can sit through it...

The love story is somewhat cringe-worthy, but there's a lot to love in the movie.
I especially like Obi Wan in Kamino and his subsequent fights with Jango. His scene with Dooku is also brilliant. Anakin back on Tatooine is great, I love his "chut-chut Watto" and seeing him approaching Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru is a beautiful scene.
I also love the battle on Geonosis, not the arena fight, but the final battle, it's really well done, within the CGI limitations of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back