Star Wars reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Says what his will? Doesn't his family get the rights? And even if its in his will or something, he can always change it before he dies.
Yes, it's in his Will (as well as officially Lucasfilm papers) and it was filed and done years ago. And, sure, he could change before he dies it if he wishes... but he hasn't for 30+ years so why would he now?

His kids inherit his estate, but they will not have the ability to make new "Star Wars" shows (or sell the rights) unless Lucas goes back and chances his Will, which is highly doubtful.

Lawyers man, their smart and their evil. And the Studios have an army of them.
But that's just it. Lucas isn't part of the Hollywood studio system and hasn't been since 1978.

"Star Wars" isn't like "Trek", which is owned by Paramount. Only ONE PERSON can make SW happen.

Yes, it's in his Will (as well as officially Lucasfilm papers) and it was filed and done years ago. And, sure, he could change before he dies it if he wishes... but he hasn't for 30+ years so why would he now?

His kids inherit his estate, but they will not have the ability to make new "Star Wars" shows (or sell the rights) unless Lucas goes back and chances his Will, which is highly doubtful.

But that's just it. Lucas isn't part of the Hollywood studio system and hasn't been since 1978.

"Star Wars" isn't like "Trek", which is owned by Paramount. Only ONE PERSON can make SW happen.

Yea I dig that, its like Kubrick, but I dont understand, even his family got the rights to what he did.

I just dont understand what your saying that the rights will be removed from existance? Thats not possible, the rights to SW are something that exists on paper, it has to exist or anyone can claim the rights to it you see.

And things cannot belong to a dead person, they become property of his family, which means he left the rights to his family. They can choose to respect his wishes, but if they need money one day, or feel fan pressure, it will happen.

A will isn't something that has to be followed to a T or Lucas will sue his family. Its your last wishes, they can be respected or ignored.

Do you have a link or something to what your talking about because I cant find anything on it?

Intellectual rights would fall to his estate and they can do whatever they want. There is no legalese around that.

Yea I dig that, its like Kubrick, but I dont understand, even his family got the rights to what he did.

I just dont understand what your saying that the rights will be removed from existance? Thats not possible, the rights to SW are something that exists on paper, it has to exist or anyone can claim the rights to it you see.

And things cannot belong to a dead person, they become property of his family, which means he left the rights to his family. They can choose to respect his wishes, but if they need money one day, or feel fan pressure, it will happen.

Do you have a link or something to what your talking about because I cant find anything on it?

I'll see if I can find anything on the net, but trust me... that's the way it is. He's even mentioned it in interviews, and I got it confirmed by McCallum at a DVD junket a few years ago (I'll also see if I can dig up my transcript). If you ever go to a Con and run into someone like Steve Sansweet just ask for yourself.

People like to harp on Lucas for being greedy, and that may or may not be the case. But the one thing he unequivocally has always been about is CONTROL. He's dotted every "I" and crossed every "T" since the late 70's.

Intellectual rights would fall to his estate and they can do whatever they want. There is no legalese around that.

Exactly, its like the way Kubricks wife got all his film rights. She respects his wishes and so you don't see thigns like action figures etc.

But if it goes to Lucas's wife or kids, you really think they'll never ever be SW again? I think thats really a stretch. And again, this isn't 2001, these were movies built around products and toys and sequels so Im counting on more once he dies eventually.

I'll see if I can find anything on the net, but trust me... that's the way it is. He's even mentioned it in interviews, and I got it confirmed by McCallum at a DVD junket a few years ago (I'll also see if I can dig up my transcript). If you ever go to a Con and run into someone like Steve Sansweet just ask for yourself.

People like to harp on Lucas for being greedy, and that may or may not be the case. But the one thing he unequivocally has always been about is CONTROL. He's dotted every "I" and crossed every "T" since the late 70's.

But again, its not possible that they just can't sell the rights or w/e you see, once hes dead that will is just his last wishes. His family will own SW so its ultimately up to them. You cant just say, No one gets this thing I created it dies with me. It doesnt work like that. It doesnt just magicly get erased from existance, if you don't leave something you owned to someone, it is either given to your family, or taken by the government.

I can put in my will, when I die, no one can ever live in my house again, but if I leave it to no one it becomes the property of the government, then they can do w/e they want with it. If its left to family, they make the call if they respect my wishes and never live there, or just sell it for cash. But if they do, theres nothing i can do about it because Im dead. I work for a law firm, believe me, all these things you own belong to someone.

What it comes down to is he has limited control, and once hes dead, he has none, no matter what he trys to set up. Whoever he leaves those rights to, no matter what stipulations it comes with, it is, ultimately up to that person or persons if there will be more SW.

Last edited:

Yeah, there is because it's also chartered in some Lucasfilm company documentation.

Again... I'll have to look for the quotes and full explanation.

Okay, here is a quick quote from an interview with EMPIRE magazine that I have. It's not exactly what I was talking about, but you'll get the drift...

Would you be happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?

GL: I've left pretty explicit legal instructions for there not to be any more movies. Also, no Episodes VII - IX, because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything! There have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which aren't at all what I would have done. And those will continue, but no features. That will end with me. The story is the tragedy of Darth Vader. That's the story. Once he dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, Luke doesn't get married, etc.

When Lucas realizes that it is a cash cow that he hasn't exploited, it probably will happen, methinks. Don't think it is a good idea or necessary, but don't really care personally, as I am completely content with the original 3 films, and would be happy as a lark if no others were ever made (including the prequels and crappy cartoon).

I'm pretty certain Irish is right. I remember reading that too somewhere. Hope he can dig it up.

When Lucas realizes that it is a cash cow that he hasn't exploited, it probably will happen, methinks. Don't think it is a good idea or necessary, but don't really care personally, as I am completely content with the original 3 films, and would be happy as a lark if no others were ever made (including the prequels and crappy cartoon).
The real "cash cow" is in licensing. The other... television. That's why Lucas is pushing for at least 100-200 episodes of both The Clone Wars and the upcoming SW Live Action series. Because that's the magic number for syndication, ensuring that LFL will rake in bucks for decades to come.

When Lucas realizes that it is a cash cow that he hasn't exploited,

This made me laugh out loud. :lol

I have a feeling he knows VERY well.

Per the quote, both Lucas and McCullum are blow hards and flat out liars. I doubt any real details of his will will ever be disclosed before he dies.

But again, thats just a matter of whoever gets the righst respecting his wishes.

What hes saying is in his will, he details that he doesn't want anymore movies etc, but again, thats only if they respect his wishes.

The rights still exist and goto someone you understand this correct?

Its like this, when my dad dies, I am going to inherit his house because thats what it says in his will. Now lets pretend it also says that once I get that house, I can never live in it.

I inherited the house. Its mine now. I can live in it if I like, even though i'm disrespecting my dead father's wishes. Or I can not, and it can just sit there, an exmpty house.

Or I can just move to antoher state and sell the house, and again disrespect dad's wishes but the ownership of that house was transferred to me when he died so its not his call anymore.

I can say in my will, please cover my naked body in syrup and feed me to wolves, but if my parents are still alive, they can overide that and just bury me, because once your dead, your relatives are the ones who are now responsible for you.

SW wasn't always about the "tragedy of Darth Vader". That's a fairly recent thing. But understandably, ROTJ, the SE's and PT's have done a good job in changing the public perception.

I choose to view and enjoy the OT as products of their times, and not something that needs to be reconditioned to fit today's version of the story.

A reboot will eventually happen, maybe in 75 years. It could be good, but it won't be the original.

I always thought Lucas should have just remade the original trilogy after he did the prequels and left the originals alone. They would fit better together, and people would still have their original holy trilogy to worship.

I always thought Lucas should have just remade the original trilogy after he did the prequels and left the originals alone. They would fit better together, and people would still have their original holy trilogy to worship.

I kinda like that idea, too.

BTW, here are those Star Wars 1942 customs I mentioned:

SW-42%20Han.jpg

SW-42%20chewie.jpg

SW42%20luke.jpg

SW42-snowtrooper.jpg

SW-42%20Biker.jpg

glorbes1.jpg

:rock :rock :rock

Reboot ? Isn't that what the prequels were suppose to be ? ???

Awesome WWII figures, I'd definately buy something like those, the steampunk are cool too, but dont seem right for star wars.

Back