Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm holding off, as always, so see if there's any extra goodies that may come with the sets. Come on Best Buy, make Mama proud! :D

Me too. I think I can wait a few years until the box set is around $5.00. Without the original versions of the OT, that's all this new set is worth to me.

You might want to check out the subtle enhancements before wishing the old version back to life...

This blew me away:
https://picasaweb.google.com/doubleofive/StarWarsSpecialEditionChangesHD

Thanks for that link. Pretty interesting stuff. But the subtle changes I don't have a problem with (since a lot of those I didn't even notice as being different from the original 1977). And I didn't mind the more obvious additional scenes from the SE versions when they first came out.

But I still would like to have the original (or pre- SE version since subtle changes were apparently made for the 1981 re-release). And don't like the idea that the SE versions are now the definitive versions.

I think the last we will see of the Original OT is the DVDs from a few years back. Lucas has stated over and over the new SE are the new OT in his eyes...no matter what the fans want. Kinda sad, really.

After reading the true story of Star Wars book the more I think those versions are somehow tied to his ex wife and if they are ever released again in their true "original" format she cleans up (somehow he got around it for the DVD's by calling them "extras") so I believe thats partly why they will never be seen again.

I honestly think anyone waiting for restored cleaned up versions of the original version of the original trilogy are just beating their head against a wall. It is what it is. I know it it doesn't seem fair to some people who have complained since 1997 but just isn't happening ever. It just feels like the biggest dead horse in the history of beating dead horses.

the one thing that i really liked about the SE is how they opened up cloud city. what i hate more than anything is the fact that they changed fetts voice!! this bothers me SO MUCH MORE than the shooting first incident. unforgivable!

the one thing that i really liked about the SE is how they opened up cloud city. what i hate more than anything is the fact that they changed fetts voice!! this bothers me SO MUCH MORE than the shooting first incident. unforgivable!

Me too... thats the #1 redo screw up for me.

I honestly think anyone waiting for restored cleaned up versions of the original version of the original trilogy are just beating their head against a wall. It is what it is. I know it it doesn't seem fair to some people who have complained since 1997 but just isn't happening ever. It just feels like the biggest dead horse in the history of beating dead horses.

"It is what it is" - That's sort of my point :lol

Lucas has every right to make the "Special Editions" because he's the creator. But for old fans like myself - that's not the movie I saw when I was 10 years old. The new cg additions were cool (for the most part), but the original verions (defects and all) are the real deal. They were what they were.

Thanks for that link. Pretty interesting stuff. But the subtle changes I don't have a problem with (since a lot of those I didn't even notice as being different from the original 1977). And I didn't mind the more obvious additional scenes from the SE versions when they first came out.

But I still would like to have the original (or pre- SE version since subtle changes were apparently made for the 1981 re-release). And don't like the idea that the SE versions are now the definitive versions.

Good point.

less than a month away now.....I'm betting GL and his minions have made a ton of changes to the 2004 releases....I too hate they changed Fett's voice...and the Greedo laser shot....but we will never see the originals again....ever....

I bet that GL and his minions throw out this version and wait some years to throw out a blue ray ultimate director's cut later. And after blue ray is dead, there gonna sell an online stream special director's cut version and with some additional money you get the right to save that release at your hard disk.
Or there will be usb flash hard disks to buy, whatever.

That's no rumour, that's the law of money makin'. And wanna know? I am fine with that.

I don't know about any future formats, most movies only go up to 1080p anyways so they couldn't be improved by anything. But if they get through all the Star Wars movies in 3D I'd bet there would be another big Blu-Ray release, but that wouldn't be for like 10 years.

I don't know about any future formats, most movies only go up to 1080p anyways so they couldn't be improved by anything. But if they get through all the Star Wars movies in 3D I'd bet there would be another big Blu-Ray release, but that wouldn't be for like 10 years.

Aren't some mastered and remastered in 4k these days though?

1080p is merely a display/scanning resolution, and has little to do with the inherent analog resolution of movies shot on celluloid film-stock.

Some early digital films (including AOTC) were shot in 1080p resolution, so the possibilities in cases as such are indeed limited.

Proper presentation of analog film (16mm and up) depends mostly on the scanning-resolution and the state and/or availability of the original negatives or inter-positives.

Are you serious?

Movies don't just go up to 1080p, that is just the best resolution available for home viewing.

Modern digital motion picture cameras are 4k,which means 4 thousand lines of resolution
(4x 1080p) and film, which most movies are shot on, does not have a definable resolution, but trust me, films clarity is far superior to 1080p.

Edit -looked it up, films resolution is actually listed as being 6k, meaning 6,000 lines of resolution. Even the 4k cameras are often upscaled to 8,000 lines of res during the special effects process. So trust me, tv has a very long way to go to match anything in the cinema, as a matter of fact, if you watched something with only 1080 lines of res on a movie screen, it would look horrible.

Last edited:
The disc images really confuse me. I mean how is Luke, arguably the second most important sw character behind Vader/Anakin, not on a single disc? Lando, Dooku, and Chewie though? Odd. . .

Not necessarily b/c of importance, but because of visual recognition...anyway Vader/ Anakin /Luke - is on the outer package...

less than a month away now.....I'm betting GL and his minions have made a ton of changes to the 2004 releases....I too hate they changed Fett's voice...and the Greedo laser shot....but we will never see the originals again....ever....

Um ya know you can still buy the originals on DVD. Non anamorphic but still the originals.

However it is bull that lucas won't put out good qiality orginals.

Ya know whats funny? I think of all the changes Lucas has made, its the changes to Fett's voices that I hate the most. Sure I hate Greedo shooting first as much as the next guy but screwing with Fett's voice really gets to me. I am not even that huge a fett fan.

Are you serious?

Movies don't just go up to 1080p, that is just the best resolution available for home viewing.

Modern digital motion picture cameras are 4k,which means 4 thousand lines of resolution (4x 1080p) and film, which most movies are shot on, does not have a definable resolution, but trust me, films clarity is far superior to 1080p.

I think most people don't realize, because film grain make people think the image is blurry or unclear. ---in simple terms -
a pure diagonal line is still straighter than a staircase...even when there's some noise in the pic...analog vs digital.

Never say never. Lucas has to die someday and the person that takes over will restore sense to that company

Lucas's changes to the original trilogy border on criminal, IMO. Changing Fett's voice is just unacceptable. I am not buying these movies

Back