Star Wars: Episode IX - What should Rey's origin be?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should Rey's origin be?

• She really is a nobody

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • She's a Skywalker

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • She's a Solo

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • She's a Kenobi

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • She's a creation of Snoke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • She's a creation of Plagueis

• She's a creation of Snoke, who is Plagueis

• I've stopped caring

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I never cared

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters
Yeah after TLJ I could careless about anything Star Wars related, except the 7th season of Clone Wars I am excited about that, but the movies are pretty much dead to me for now...

Of all the complaints about TLJ that get repeated over and over, this one probably confuses me the most. Going into Episode IX, the First Order still hasn't been defeated. In fact, having Kylo be the Supreme Leader now actually makes it more relevant to the Skywalker Saga since he's part of the Skywalker bloodline. We left off with a Resistance on the run and needing to regroup (similar to how the Rebellion was in ESB). We had Luke pull a Kenobi (which happened in the first act of the OT). And we had Rey learn more about the Force - and about her opponent in this trilogy - to set up the deciding conflict (like Luke in ESB). Heck, the topic of this thread is about Rey's lineage, so even that is still perceived as being up in the air. And we still know next to nothing about the Knights of Ren. So, what exactly got resolved already?

The PT was the Anakin trilogy. The OT was the Luke trilogy. The ST is the Ben/Kylo trilogy. Three generations of Skywalker bloodline building, reshaping, and ultimately defining the Skywalker legacy. Anakin and Luke both still have a role to play with Kylo, and with that lasting legacy. Does Kylo die trying to fulfill his grandfather's ambitions? Or does he redeem himself in the spirit of his uncle's example? Which way he goes, and what influence his Skywalker predecessors will have, will determine how the Skywalker Saga ends. The ghost of Luke will almost certainly play a role. Will Anakin's? I'm not seeing how TLJ answered or concluded anything in a way that leaves Episode IX with nothing left to resolve. Quite the opposite for me, actually.

For all we know, Rey ends up being a Solo . . . not by birth, but by marriage. Nothing has been resolved yet.

Judging by the poll nobody cares... that's why 8 was such a failure... if you create a middle part of a saga and it leaves people not caring what's going to happen in the last part of it, you failed as a story teller... Rian Johnson is nothing but an arrogant ********* who thinks his farts smell like roses...

Anyone who calls a creator a ********* is precisely what he called the other person.

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

Lol I’ll be catching this one on cam rip. Could care less bout the characters. If they made rey evil at the end then they may grab my attention but as it stands these are some of the most boring characters put on film.

Lol at "stopped caring" leading the poll.

Really though if JJ is going to turn the failboat around what could he possibly do that would fix things? I feel like if she ends up a kenobi or whatever the heck she ends up being it still wouldn't redeem the trilogy for me personally.

It will be what it will be. I wouldn't be surprised that the main ideas for the whole story were set in stone from the beginning, but only two or three people know them.

As pointed out by other posters (not blinded by fanboyish "I don't care anymore" and "star wars is dead" attitudes), The Last Jedi leaves the actual answers to these questions wide open.

Waiting and seeing is the best approach. Having huge (baseless) expectations leads only to disappointment when not realized.

FlippantFreeFreshwatereel-small.gif

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

It will be what it will be. I wouldn't be surprised that the main ideas for the whole story were set in stone from the beginning, but only two or three people know them.

As pointed out by other posters (not blinded by fanboyish "I don't care anymore" and "star wars is dead" attitudes), The Last Jedi leaves the actual answers to these questions wide open.

Waiting and seeing is the best approach. Having huge (baseless) expectations leads only to disappointment when not realized.

Oh the question wasn't what will it be it was more what would it have to be to change people's minds. What's the most plausible best case scenario to end the trilogy? Is there one?

Of all the complaints about TLJ that get repeated over and over, this one probably confuses me the most. Going into Episode IX, the First Order still hasn't been defeated.

They damn well should be on the brink though. They've suffered unbelievable losses over the brief period that TFA and TLJ are set. They're fortunate that they managed to use Starkiller Base that one time before it was destroyed, thereby reducing their primary enemy to something seemingly so small with the remaining Resistance in TLJ.

Yea cause not liking a movie and not being interested in the characters is blind fanboy nonsense. K

They damn well should be on the brink though. They've suffered unbelievable losses over the brief period that TFA and TLJ are set. They're fortunate that they managed to use Starkiller Base that one time before it was destroyed, thereby reducing their primary enemy to something seemingly so small with the remaining Resistance in TLJ.
Actually, its the rest of the Republic that's lucky the few Resistance fighters were able to cause so much damage, because they're practiccally defenseless now, otherwise.

Both of them are. Both of them would now be easily subdued by an outside force for example. One would think anyway.
Yes... it could go either way.

Thank goodness for the legend of Luke Skywalker, who has inspired a new generation to fight the First Order.

I think it would be cool if she could be a Kenobi, but honestly I don't give a hoot anymore! I've always thought Kylo was lying when he told her who her parents were.

Back