Star Wars: Episode IX - What should Rey's origin be?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should Rey's origin be?

• She really is a nobody

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • She's a Skywalker

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • She's a Solo

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • She's a Kenobi

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • She's a creation of Snoke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • She's a creation of Plagueis

• She's a creation of Snoke, who is Plagueis

• I've stopped caring

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I never cared

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters
What ended up ultimately souring you on the movie? Did Frankenberry's commentary get to you? :D
John Byrne avatar. . .I approve.

capt-amer-thumbs-up.jpg

:duff

Byrne's retelling of Cap's origin in 1981's #255 has always been the character's definitive comic backstory in my mind, even moreso than Captain America Comics #1 by Simon and Captain America #109 by Lee. Of course it helps that I read #255 before those other two but once you lead off with Byrne at the the top of his game it's really hard for that to be trumped by anything else.

He had a brief run with Captain America, but it was some good stuff. I remember his team up with Union Jack against Baron Blood was done by Byrne, as was Cap's brief Presidential campaign. Later on, Byrne also did a Cap/Batman team-up comic, though it wasn't that great if memory serves. Byrne was a guy I loved, and used to buy every comic he drew that I could get my hands on.

Byrne's style was so idealized and iconic, that it suited Cap very well.

I love that TLJ separated the wheat from the chaff.

I can’t see her being a Skywalker or a creation of Snoke working too well and think her being a nobody was always misdirection. Whatever is decided I hope it’s surprising and more than spoonfeeding the fanfic pablum some folks have built up in their heads over years.
Nice to see a fellow wheat. The chaff are too noisy, one could almost be tricked into thinking they are a huge part of the fandom.

And yes, Kylo totally doesn't know who she is, and played the "nobodies" card because that's what SHE fed him when he pushed her for an answer at a moment of vulnerability.

On the other hand, I'm keeping my mind open. I've always thought that the SKYWALKER Saga's good lead character should be a Skywalker... but if they did go for her being the Force's replacement Chosen One from Nowhere, I'll accept it.

That's the thing: this story is being told to us. We don't own it.

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

Han's illegitimate daughter. He had a hook-up with the chick from Solo, with dark side ties. Kylo hated Han for leaving and suspected he had a half sister. It is the force balancing things out. Dark from the light. Light from Dark.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Han's illegitimate daughter. He had a hook-up with the chick from Solo, with dark side ties. Kylo hated Han for leaving and suspected he had a half sister. It is the force balancing things out. Dark from the light. Light from Dark.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
...but Han is not a Skywalker nor Force-sensitive.

Leia's illegitimate daughter?

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

I saw Ben tell Rey a bunch of stuff that could be false and Rey believing her fears to be true.

Ben said he saw who her parents were. Ben told Rey she probably just blocked it from her memory or something. Ben told her they didn't care about her and they're dead and gone. Ben told her she's nothing, but that she's something to him. Ben wants her on his side.

"They're dead in a pauper's grave on Jakku."

Then who was spaceship?

tfa-vision-spacecraft.jpg

Oh, that's right. It was "nobody".

After TLJ it doesn't really matter. I didn't think it was possible to ruin SW but Rian did it.
But i still hold out hope JJ can somehow fix this after how much i enjoyed TFA.

He can try. TLJ was basically a reeeally long epilogue to TFA. They'll have to jump ahead a few years because the FO need time to build Starkiller Base II.

After TLJ it doesn't really matter. I didn't think it was possible to ruin SW but Rian did it.
But i still hold out hope JJ can somehow fix this after how much i enjoyed TFA.

One film ruined a 8 film, multiple cartoon, comics and book franchise?

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

If Rey's parents were always supposed to be someone important, nothing in TLJ keeps that from happening. JJ Abrams hadn't even finished editing TFA when Rian Johnson started writing the TLJ script (and the two of them were having conversations about what TFA was setting up). Nothing was undone by TLJ.

People treat it as though Kylo wouldn't lie to Rey . . . in a movie where he already lied to her about Luke trying to kill him (and clashing lightsabers with him). :lol Kylo lies. To paraphrase Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn: he's a bad guy . . . that's what they do. At the very least, whatever he did actually see could be nothing more than a mere part of her story - not the entire truth.

Rey was dropped off on Jaaku and handed over to an abusive junk boss (who chased her across the galaxy and threatened her before Chewbacca ripped his arms out in JJ's own deleted TFA scene). So all along, whoever dropped her off didn't worry too much about leaving her safe with someone trustworthy. That was established in TFA, not TLJ!

It makes more sense that, all along, she was sold by "filthy junk traders" to a junk boss who'd turn her into a scavenger. But that doesn't mean that those filthy junk traders were her natural parents. The idea that caring/good parents would leave her with Unkar Plutt is ridiculous. Fans need to realize that some things just shouldn't be revealed until the final act. If her original parents were always meant to be someone important, everything is still in place for that reveal. Nothing has changed. Whether Rey's true parents were "nobodies" or "somebodies" is up to JJ. And it always was.

As much as I despised TLJ, Rey's parents being nobodies was actually the one thing I had no problem with. Seemed a nice contrast to the predictable moment we were all expecting, especially since all the theories concerning Rey's parentage didn't really make any sense.

Well they can turn that lie either way....

No one knew if Vader was telling the truth at the end of ESB....GL put in the whole Yoda scene in ROTJ because people needed to hear from a trusted figure that Vader was truthful.....

The opposite could be done here....Luke appears to tell Rey her real parentage “Luke’s Daughter” ??? Or something else and everything he was doing was to protect her from making the same mistakes he made with Kylo.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

She is the daughter of Snoke. Not the fake puppet Snoke that got sliced in half like a pizza -- the real emperor of darkness, vampire Snoke!

He has wings and bites people. :lecture

Back