Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welll... t'was the best of ST times, t'was the worst of ST times. I landed somewhere in the middle on this - because there's quite a bit to like but there's a LOT to chuckle/eye-roll at. Hey - it's part of the ST after all!:lol

And... it's 5-6 days since release - are we past spoiler tags? If not lmk.

I have to agree with those who say this is the best movie of the ST - it has kinetic energy, pulp silliness and some actual fun that the other two (for me) sorely lacked, and FINALLY has an antagonistic force that I actually understand and feels like there's major stakes on (as antagonists, the first two had a "torn/confused" young man who sometimes wore a black cape/mask, and an old man/creature who I never really got was supposed to be - "Palps-lite.") I never got that in TFA or TLJ - the creepy sense of real fear of Vader, then Palps, in the OT. Like demons that wanted something. Here you get that, even if it's OT all the way.

This movie also suggested to me - due to some of it finally working dramatically in this movie - that a conflicted Kylo and Rey Sith/Jedi match-up/romance in the face of a powerful, devious puppet master (like Palps in this) could have worked. All that force texting and stuff in TFA and TLJ never really amounted to much at all for me. Here it works better.

I liked some of the adventure in this movie too - I loved that snowy HP-like planet with the stormies going door to door where they meet Zori bliss. Finally a planetary adventure in the ST that I was engaged in.:yess:

That's kinda where the positives ran out for me though - this movie is such a total jumble and blur. Way too fast, bordering on incomprehensible at times, often very awkward and cringey (hello Leia) giving way - by the final battle - to just stream-of-consciousness stuff that's at turns awe-inspiring and some of the most chuckle-inducing silliness ever committed to the screen.

While Adam Driver is on fire, really coming of age as an actor this year (and it really shows in this - Ben Solo actually felt different to Kylo and really worked,) it's almost like 3PO emerges best.:lol And any movie that features the lead healing a random giant snake solely to set up a healing power - following the silliest quicksand plotpoint since 1950s Tarzan - you gotta do your best "watchya talkin about Willis" for.

Even though Palps' return was desperately needed by the ST and even sorta-kinda almost works (because he's a great villian and McDiarmid is a great ham) almost EVERYTHING about the Exogol sequences made little sense....

Who all the "Eyes Wide Shut" Sith people were, the test-tube Snokes (clones never feel very SW to me though,) the navigation beacon silliness, the "rules of Sith lightning" (whole other discussion) who all the people were crewing (and designing/building/"conjuring"?) all those thousands of SDs, where/how the DS cannon tech came from, why it was all sitting there "waiting" for so long (years? decades?), why he even needed Rey as a body (seemed to have no shortage,) why the SDs all stayed in formation even under attack, and what the "unknown regions" even were (what makes them different?.) etc etc.... it's a list of dozens of head-scratchers.

Then there were the "echo the OT beats" issues - I mean we already got a beat-for-beat redo of the ROTJ throne room sequence in TLJ - now we get yet another version here, complete with Palps' "come, see for yourself..." view of a rebel fleet being taken down. I mean Palps even says "strike me down" again from what I recall.:slap And earlier Rey's on a ledge, ready to leap as she's told by a black-clad villain that she's Vader's daughter - oops, I mean Palps' granddaughter - and she seems about to yell "Nooo" and jump off when - in comes the Falcon to rescue her just like it did Luke after his own "that's not true, that's impossible" moment...

(and wow - the number of times someone "senses" something in this movie just drove me crazy.)

Even emotional pay-offs like "My name is Rey Skywalker" - while nicely evocative due to the location and a ghost of Luke/Leia - come across as odd because her parents didn't abandon/sell her, they died trying to defend her. Why disown them as her parents? And have a brother/sister as your "parents" is a bit OT Luke/Leia weird (just like that video game-ish scene of young Luke training Leia.) Was Rey's father's last name "Palpatine" (that topic alone opens up a whole host of questions....)?

And... nose-lady got JJ's much-heralded lady-kiss (and nobody noticed she takes that female pilot's hand to head off into the "forest" at the end.):yess:

And did I laugh when Luke's X-wing rose out of the ocean at Ach-to.... fully functioning, complete with helmet! So much discussion focused on how it was clearly inoperable, thereby rendering Luke trapped on the island in TLJ and unable to get to Crait in person. It's even fueled up enough that Rey flies to Exolgol in it. Oops.:lol

All that being said - at least this is likely a ST film that I would watch again. Can't say that about TFA and TLJ.

Pretty much agree, although I may be a little less enamored with pulpy Palps then most here in general.

This was a bad movie.

I watched it Saturday, knowing I'd see it again tonight with my friends, but I wanted a showing to just think about the film and ponder it. I enjoyed many moments the first time around, Wedge showing up, Han coming back, those fan servicey things got me good the first time around. I did feel like it was very fast-paced, and somewhat hard to follow. I didn't know how to feel about all the twists and turns, Rey being a Palpatine, Rey and Kylo kissing, I was just ambivalent about it. I didn't think they did the story any favors. In fact, there was even a smattering of boos when during the kissing scene.

After tonight, knowing what was going on, and watching it for what it was, it was clear, just a poorly made movie.

How many times can you abuse the misdirection trope in one movie?

Chewie's dead ... oop, no he's not, fooled you.

3PO's memory's gone ... nope, R2 restored it.

Oh, no the Resistance is crushed, Poe says we're finished, it's all over ... nope, Lando's here and he brought everyone else in the galaxy.

Get Kathleen Kennedy out, bring in someone who can enforce a story. Whether it's Feige or not, I don't care, get someone who can tell a story and make it consistent. The fact that JJ had to waste screen time whipping his director **** at Rian Johnson to fix the things he didn't like from TLJ. I mean, I absolutely did not agree with the choices Rian made, but I understand them, but for JJ to come back in and whip it back around the way he wanted ... Kennedy needed to put a foot down on that. I don't understand how you can fire the Solo directors for creative differences then let Rian and JJ piss on each other's movies like that.

Honestly, this movie reminded me too much of the bad fanfic Aladdin sequel I wrote in 6th grade, when I wrote that Jafar was Aladdin's uncle, even my teacher knew that was **** back then. We all knew Palpatine was behind Rey back in TFA, and we're like "Nooo, that's too predictable" Turns out we were right. Gee what does that remind me of? Oh LOST, yeah, they were all dead the whole time "No, not really" ... well, technically they weren't dead the whole time, just for the ending.

This movie was pretty much all action scenes, there was never any exposition to slow it down and explain the stakes.

Rey didn't earn her name. She didn't go through jack ****. Luke lost, and had to grow. Rey going to Tatooine just reinforced her absolute lack of growth as a character. You look at Luke going from Farmboy to Jedi Knight, and Rey is the exact same character from TFA as she is in TROS.

Of course the capper is, this movie being so bad, makes the entire ST a waste of time. The Emperor is still dead, the bad guys' forces are obliterated, again. So, now they're starting at the exact same place they were 5 years ago.

Considering prophecy being wiping tbe corrupted jedi doctrine and sith and giving a reset to force (thanks to the one who mentioned this in the last few pages), then this movie does not undermines Anakin's chosen one status.
This also means that not chosen one prophecy of the jedi, but sithara prophecy of the sith was correct.

Rey vs Palps was literally Mace vs Palps in ROTS when Palps transformed in front of our eyes from regular looking chancellor guy to monster due to Mace shooting his dark energy back onto him.

Anakin betrayed Mace.

Anakin helped Rey.

Palps was trash talking Anakin in TROS but it bit him in the arse at the end lol

Doesn?t Palp know that Jedi ghosts can help a living Jedi.

Right he must know by now right lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was in the midst of a much longer response, but the site crashed on me, and I'm not typing it all again. :lol

So, the short of it:

- I thoroughly enjoyed everyone's opinions in the last 70 or so pages. Though I don't agree with some of them, I completely get why the movie didn't work for some of you.

- I love the movie. Admittedly, my heart is making this choice for me. I cheered. I cried. I was moved (I'm a sucker for this film's "on your left" moment). I FELT.

- I really enjoyed the "dyad" they established between Rey and Kylo/Ben. It explains a lot that happened between them before and aids in many of the plotlines in this film, including Palps' resurrection.

- Finn is definitely Force-sensitive (that's what he keeps trying to tell Rey), and I'm a bit sad we won't get to see that play out onscreen.

- Though the pace was frenetic, the story becomes easier to follow/understand with multiple viewings. I've seen it four times already, and I'm still discovering new things.

Anyway … I have a lot more to say, but it can come up organically through discussions in this thread. I enjoyed all three films of the ST, but this one is the best.

Hang on Rey will be here in just 64 more years

7dde9ed066a7842449099c05743dfcf8.jpg

Ah, ok. So, did Palps originally survive the Death Star plunge then do an essence transfer to a clone afterward? I?m trying to put together how he/his essence even made it off before it exploded.

This is my biggest gripe with ROS.

My guess is the second season of mandalorian is going to be about how Palps survived.

Anyone else wonder if The Mandalorian and baby Yoda was helping prepare us for the force healing powers on TROS?

Oh, h^ll I didn't even wonder. I was SURE of it. Esp. with the careful timing of Mando episode 7 to not compete with TROS release.

Except found it mildly irritating e.g. since I accept baby as some sort of inherently Force powerful species, and IMO the whole Rey lineage thing to me feels like forced writing as a fix-it. E.g. it was just puffing Rey abilities up.

*Shrug* Disney put out something palatable that SW fans have a lot of pros and cons about. I just roll with it - once it gets obvious what the tone/writing is gonna be I can enjoy for what it is. And save money by not buying whatever I might have bought re collectibles. Don't agree with Abrams but he was in an impossible position. We'll never know if a grittier? oriented director or some unknown could've done better.

It COULD have been greatness. IMO Disney wasn't gonna take risks either re keeping it family-friendly $$$$$ they've gotta franchise and offshoots like Mando and Obi-wan to maintain, and probably other projects in planning.

My guess is the second season of mandalorian is going to be about how Palps survived.

Personally hope not. Esp. reading pointed remarks about how all that remained hidden and too much of it to me looked liked scenes from Harry Potter near the end. Re Mando am good with the mess left when a government falls, and warlords etc. fighting for power. Maybe a hint of someone with the dark side. They can use the Obi Wan series for more of Palpatine if they have to IMO would make more sense.

I'm a bit late to the party having only seen this today but I really enjoyed it after the car crash that was Rian J's film which was so bad i've erased it from memory this was much better, felt much more like Star Wars

I was in the midst of a much longer response, but the site crashed on me, and I'm not typing it all again. :lol

So, the short of it:

- I thoroughly enjoyed everyone's opinions in the last 70 or so pages. Though I don't agree with some of them, I completely get why the movie didn't work for some of you.

- I love the movie. Admittedly, my heart is making this choice for me. I cheered. I cried. I was moved (I'm a sucker for this film's "on your left" moment). I FELT.

- I really enjoyed the "dyad" they established between Rey and Kylo/Ben. It explains a lot that happened between them before and aids in many of the plotlines in this film, including Palps' resurrection.

- Finn is definitely Force-sensitive (that's what he keeps trying to tell Rey), and I'm a bit sad we won't get to see that play out onscreen.

- Though the pace was frenetic, the story becomes easier to follow/understand with multiple viewings. I've seen it four times already, and I'm still discovering new things.

Anyway … I have a lot more to say, but it can come up organically through discussions in this thread. I enjoyed all three films of the ST, but this one is the best.

Right on! JAWS was right, all the cool people *did* like this movie. ;) Now where's punisher1974's review? tap:

Yeah I recently read that that's what he was going to tell Rey. It would have been funny if instead Finn shouted "I love you 3PO, I always have!" and then everyone immediately stops sinking, lol.

Hang on Rey will be here in just 64 more years

7dde9ed066a7842449099c05743dfcf8.jpg

Holy crap think of the "only two" rule now. Old body, new body. Palps wanted Rey to strike him down so he could possess her. Plagueis' apprentice killed him. What if the *sole* reason of "only two" is because Palps is constantly prepping a new body for when his current one expires/dies? :panic: He enjoyed having Maul around but then didn't want to possess Dooku because that would be another "old" body so he groomed Anakin. Then Anakin got fried and roboticized so he waited for Luke. If Luke *did* strike him down he would have possessed *him,* if Luke struck Vader down then he would have stayed in his old body a little longer until he tired of his new apprentice.

This was a bad movie.

I watched it Saturday, knowing I'd see it again tonight with my friends, but I wanted a showing to just think about the film and ponder it. I enjoyed many moments the first time around, Wedge showing up, Han coming back, those fan servicey things got me good the first time around. I did feel like it was very fast-paced, and somewhat hard to follow. I didn't know how to feel about all the twists and turns, Rey being a Palpatine, Rey and Kylo kissing, I was just ambivalent about it. I didn't think they did the story any favors. In fact, there was even a smattering of boos when during the kissing scene.

After tonight, knowing what was going on, and watching it for what it was, it was clear, just a poorly made movie.

How many times can you abuse the misdirection trope in one movie?

Chewie's dead ... oop, no he's not, fooled you.

3PO's memory's gone ... nope, R2 restored it.

Oh, no the Resistance is crushed, Poe says we're finished, it's all over ... nope, Lando's here and he brought everyone else in the galaxy.

Get Kathleen Kennedy out, bring in someone who can enforce a story. Whether it's Feige or not, I don't care, get someone who can tell a story and make it consistent. The fact that JJ had to waste screen time whipping his director **** at Rian Johnson to fix the things he didn't like from TLJ. I mean, I absolutely did not agree with the choices Rian made, but I understand them, but for JJ to come back in and whip it back around the way he wanted ... Kennedy needed to put a foot down on that. I don't understand how you can fire the Solo directors for creative differences then let Rian and JJ piss on each other's movies like that.

Honestly, this movie reminded me too much of the bad fanfic Aladdin sequel I wrote in 6th grade, when I wrote that Jafar was Aladdin's uncle, even my teacher knew that was **** back then. We all knew Palpatine was behind Rey back in TFA, and we're like "Nooo, that's too predictable" Turns out we were right. Gee what does that remind me of? Oh LOST, yeah, they were all dead the whole time "No, not really" ... well, technically they weren't dead the whole time, just for the ending.

This movie was pretty much all action scenes, there was never any exposition to slow it down and explain the stakes.

Rey didn't earn her name. She didn't go through jack ****. Luke lost, and had to grow. Rey going to Tatooine just reinforced her absolute lack of growth as a character. You look at Luke going from Farmboy to Jedi Knight, and Rey is the exact same character from TFA as she is in TROS.

Of course the capper is, this movie being so bad, makes the entire ST a waste of time. The Emperor is still dead, the bad guys' forces are obliterated, again. So, now they're starting at the exact same place they were 5 years ago.

Well, yeah. Tho I don't think of it as bad so much as "superficial" "crowdpleasing" "Abrams style" "politically correct" "safe blockbuster". IMO the bones of an excellent story are here (especially IMO a Stormtrooper who rebels and deserts, a nobody scavenger, an overpowered volatile conflicted prince, a Dark Force villain, even Phasma). Maybe in 10 years there'll be a total reboot with an R rating. But that's not Disney.

Meanwhile I gotta get over Hux and Kylo (which had this dynamic that had potential). But, nope. Along with the Knights of Ren.:Flush
(I did bring home a collectible popcorn tin tho.:cool:)

Yeah I was surprised about Hux in this movie. I wonder if Abrams thought he was just too tainted by TLJ and therefore replaced him with General Pryde.

TBH think it was just Abrams tryin' to be *unexpected*. He said in interviews there'd be stuff like that. Trouble was for me, it just seemed phony and out of the blue. Forced. Tho Hux' line was really good IMO.

All they had to do was have Pryde outrank Hux which also would've opened the door to Hux having more good snark lines, among other things. Like maybe throwing in with the Rebellion which could've been hilarious seeing Hux get grungy with the rebels or meeting Poe face to face.

But, nope. E.g. stuff I was hoping to see like more Knights of Ren re the awesome trailer shot just fizzled in translation.:crying I did like some stuff tho like the Poe/Finn dynamic, and Kylo/Rey being so powerful they could grab objects through the Force. And seeing the festival - IMO that's one of the appeals for me of the Mandalorian, seeing what "ordinary folks" do, not constant rebels and soldiers.

Holy crap think of the "only two" rule now. Old body, new body. Palps wanted Rey to strike him down so he could possess her. Plagueis' apprentice killed him. What if the *sole* reason of "only two" is because Palps is constantly prepping a new body for when his current one expires/dies? :panic: He enjoyed having Maul around but then didn't want to possess Dooku because that would be another "old" body so he groomed Anakin. Then Anakin got fried and roboticized so he waited for Luke. If Luke *did* strike him down he would have possessed *him,* if Luke struck Vader down then he would have stayed in his old body a little longer until he tired of his new apprentice.

OMG.........
Woah , head spin.

He also may want the most force powerful body!!!

Great theory.

Since Maz lifted Han’s medal from Leia’s corpse I guess it’s safe to assume she deals in graverobbing. No doubt the Bespin janitor who came across Luke’s affects assumed it was fair game & called her immediately.

I bet she has Mace Windu’s lightsaber.

Little orange ghoul.

Back