Star Wars Celebration 4 or SDCC or both?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IrishJedi said:
I'm not sure whether or not Attakus will have a big presence at C4 (they didn't at C3). I'm guessing they'll make their big splash at Celebration Europe instead.

Yeah chances are Attakus themselfs will not even be there and if there are, like Irish said, they will not be a big presence. However, there will be dealers who will have some of the Attakus statues. It will also come down to which statues you are going to want.

I will say this. I went to C3 with no expectations. At the time I did not even know how far I would take my collecting. After the event I knew that the collecting was not just a phase and I decided it would be a long term hobby.

IrishJedi: yeah I'm only looking for a few particular items. It would be cool to see what it's all about, and I've got family there so it's a great opportunity. This would be the one to attend, as I don't see myself going to one in another state. But, SDCC is my baby so...we'll see.

BigLeagueChu said:
Good points. I have only bought one high end statue from eBay and one from a reputable board member. Both accounts turned out perfect. On the other hand, I am always willing to pay a little more if I can see it in person.

I pretty much feel the same way, it is always nice to see it in person.

What statues are you looking for?

congerking said:
luckily i'm close enough to go to both. instead of staying in a hotel for celeb. IV, buddies and I are going to take the train down there every day of the celeb. do you think that's worth it? it's only about 1/2 on a train, or just cough up the cash for a hotel?

Take the train. I've been there for E3 several times and since the Convention Center isn't very close to or connected to any major hotels it's pretty much immaterial where you are staying. You have to walk a few blocks to get there regardless.

If I were you I would save the $$ it would cost for a hotel, take the L.A. Metro to Pico and use that extra cash for C4 collectibles. :maul

But whatever you do, don't plan on driving and parking down there... unless you want to pay upwards of $50-75 a day.

Gran3131 said:
I will say this. I went to C3 with no expectations. At the time I did not even know how far I would take my collecting. After the event I knew that the collecting was not just a phase and I decided it would be a long term hobby.

No kidding! I hope I know where my collecting is going. The last thing I want is to come home with the MR Falcon. So yeah...I'm only after very specific pieces. Maybe not worth it...

IrishJedi said:
Take the train. I've been there for E3 several times and since the Convention Center isn't very close to or connected to any major hotels it's pretty much immaterial where you are staying. You have to walk a few blocks to get there regardless.

If I were you I would save the $$ it would cost for a hotel, take the L.A. Metro to Pico and use that extra cash for C4 collectibles. :maul

But whatever you do, don't plan on driving and parking down there... unless you want to pay upwards of $50-75 a day.

yea, screw the $50-75 a day. I know that at the last celebration, they released a clone wars animation character key. now that acme seems to be releasing with sideshow, do you think there will be one there as well?

Gran3131 said:
I pretty much feel the same way, it is always nice to see it in person.

What statues are you looking for?

This past SDCC I picked up an Attakus Maul for 370, not bad of a price. But I remember another dealer asking 750 for the Royal Guard. Wow, that's what I call a premium for seeing it in person. I have a feeling dealers at C4 will ask similar prices too.

I'm looking for Attakus Stormtrooper, Royal Guard, and maybe a couple of the new releases like Probe Droid and Tie Fighter Pilot. I'm definitely putting my name down for the Sandtrooper out in Dec hopefully.

mfoga said:
I live in L.A. and I am considering going to C4 but I'm not sure yet. To be honest I am not sure that I can deal with the people. I mean I was ready to kill people on Sat at SDCC and I have to figure that C4 will be worse. I think the only reason I will go is if there are some exculsive items I want. Has anyone been to both? If so how corwded is C4 compared to SDCC and how bad is the nerd factor? Don't get upset I love Star Wars but some of these people are way to over the top for me.

SDCC has gotten massive over the years. I'm sure CIV will be crowded, but I would be very surprised to see it as packed as SDCC.

I was planning on going to both. Now, we're discussing a trip to Europe next July. That would kill my chances of going to SDCC, but I'd probably end up going to Celebration Europe for a day or two. I don't know when we'll be going if we go, but if our trip doesn't coincide with the dates of SDCC, I might drive up for a day for the exclusives.

BigLeagueChu said:
No kidding! I hope I know where my collecting is going. The last thing I want is to come home with the MR Falcon. So yeah...I'm only after very specific pieces. Maybe not worth it...

Yeah it is a tough choice. Good luck with the decision. I bet though if you went you probally would have a good time and may just find one of the statues you need.

BigLeagueChu said:
This past SDCC I picked up an Attakus Maul for 370, not bad of a price. But I remember another dealer asking 750 for the Royal Guard. Wow, that's what I call a premium for seeing it in person. I have a feeling dealers at C4 will ask similar prices too.

I'm looking for Attakus Stormtrooper, Royal Guard, and maybe a couple of the new releases like Probe Droid and Tie Fighter Pilot. I'm definitely putting my name down for the Sandtrooper out in Dec hopefully.

I actually saw that Maul there this year as well. Great pick up there. I really like Attakus as well and I plan to get the sandtrooper. I do not know how much you follow ebay for attakus but sometimes you can get some great deals. However, like we have already talk about it seems neither of us really like going the ebay route.

Gran3131 said:
I actually saw that Maul there this year as well. Great pick up there. I really like Attakus as well and I plan to get the sandtrooper. I do not know how much you follow ebay for attakus but sometimes you can get some great deals. However, like we have already talk about it seems neither of us really like going the ebay route.

Yeah I watch Attakus on eBay ALOT! But if I am going to bid, it depends on the seller. I ask them A TON of questions and offer to pay more in shipping if they'll double box with peanuts. I took a chance only once, and it worked out beautifully. But have to admit, I was really stressed out until it came!

congerking said:
luckily i'm close enough to go to both. instead of staying in a hotel for celeb. IV, buddies and I are going to take the train down there every day of the celeb. do you think that's worth it? it's only about 1/2 on a train, or just cough up the cash for a hotel?
Do you know what it will cost for a hotel. Also there are not any cheap hotels you would catch me dead in that area. You got to remeber less then 10 miles away are some of the WORST areas in all of LA.

IrishJedi said:

You can park for way less then that you just have to know where you are going. I have never paid more then $15 to park in that area and that includes E3, Autoshows, and a slew of games at Staples Center.

Oh yeah if people need some help finding places to stay for C4 let me know. If you are worried about an area or what not ask I know the area very well and due to my work I know what area to aviod.

BigLeagueChu said:
Wow, that's what I call a premium for seeing it in person. I have a feeling dealers at C4 will ask similar prices too.

Yeah, at C3 most dealers had items marked up significantly higher than market price. With some of the dealers you could buy the same items at the same moment from thier online shops for nearly half the price. Expect to see the same from most of the dealers at C4.

However some dealers were realistic and willing to negotiate, especially on the last day.

One thing was certain though, it was a rare opportunity to see so many Star Wars collectibles in the same place at the same time. Many of which were items that I had no idea of or thought were mearly myths. I browsed most of the dealers area much more like a casual gallery viewer than a as a shopper. Much more of my time was spent around the licensed distributors booths, in panels, hanging out with friends from previous Celebrations and forums, or roaming the halls checking costumes or other activities and displays. Oh, and of course, waiting in line.

-theropod

mfoga said:
You can park for way less then that you just have to know where you are going. I have never paid more then $15 to park in that area and that includes E3, Autoshows, and a slew of games at Staples Center.

What's the taxi and public transportation situation like around there?
Would it be a bad idea to take public transport with hundreds of dollars worth of Star Wars junk in your arms? Hey, I come from Denver/Boulder where most everyone, even in the bad neighborhoods will normally leave you alone.
-theropod

mfoga said:
Do you know what it will cost for a hotel. Also there are not any cheap hotels you would catch me dead in that area. You got to remeber less then 10 miles away are some of the WORST areas in all of LA.

long beach is close enough, you should try to take the train.

Back