Star Wars: A New Hope vs The Empire Strikes Back

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My list of top 3 has always been JAWS, Empire, and Star Wars

It might look more like JAWS, Star Wars, and Empire now.

I also have FOTR (either cuts) in my top 10.

The only other film not been mentioned yet that I talk about in the same breath as these films is

DIE HARD

Perhaps not as perfectly made as the the other films but it's damn close. It is a perfect action film IMO. A corny ending sort of ruins it's perfection.

I go by categories. Empire for Sci-Fi and Raiders for Adventure. That way they don't touch my Romero movies. :lol

I love Dawn. It's in my top 5 horror films.
Night is a classic that i still enjoy but nowhere near as much as Dawn.
Day has Bub and some great Savini work and thats about it for me.

I HATE all the other Romero Dead flicks.

But Dawn NEVER gets old!

for me like a few others have mentioned

ANH #1 due to it being the first and for me i had never seen anything like that or even close to it at the time.

ESB#2........awesome from start to finish & so close to #1 but since it was #2 well.......it's #2.....:)

ANH #1 due to it being the first and for me i had never seen anything like that or even close to it at the time.

ESB#2........awesome from start to finish & so close to #1 but since it was #2 well.......it's #2.....:)

That's me as well.

Yep, ANH just gets a slight edge over ESB... mostly due to it being a novel idea and it having that "classic" status.

Have to say watching the Harmy OT over the last three nights has been awesome. Its been probably at least 3 years since I sat down and watched SW. I've been spoiled by High Definition and didn't want to watch the non-anamorphic versions nor did I feel like suffering through the SEs.

I finally feel like I can enjoy watching SW again :rock

man i'm starting to jones for those harmy disks now................:panic:

i have a feeling that the new version will make the world a better place & my beer taste even better...........:pray:

man i'm starting to jones for those harmy disks now................:panic:

i have a feeling that the new version will make the world a better place & my beer taste even better...........:pray:

I feel kind of silly for saying it... but its kind of true. I feel a lot better about my SW fandom now that I can just watch the movies in a near-original state in HD.

Agreed. Though you forgot to add, ". . .by people who have never seen Citizen Kane, the Godfather, or the Maltese Falcon."

Wow, where to start, all this goodness to respond to :lol

Citizen Kane is missing something, it needs either more nude chicks or zombies for me to get into it.

I go by categories. Empire for Sci-Fi and Raiders for Adventure. That way they don't touch my Romero movies. :lol

:lol

Yeah, I also have a special seperate list for those movies. Dawn and Day are freaking classics in themselves. I'll never forget having to travel to find Day in the movie theater the week it was released.

My list of top 3 has always been JAWS, Empire, and Star Wars

It might look more like JAWS, Star Wars, and Empire now.

I also have FOTR (either cuts) in my top 10.

The only other film not been mentioned yet that I talk about in the same breath as these films is

DIE HARD

Perhaps not as perfectly made as the the other films but it's damn close. It is a perfect action film IMO. A corny ending sort of ruins it's perfection.

That's what's fun about making out own lists, we can have two number one movies :mwaha

But Dawn NEVER gets old!

:exactly::lecture:exactly:

Yup, love Night, Dawn and Day.

Day was so over the top when it came out.

So was Reanimator but Day for me has held up better then Re.

The rest are :yuck

Last edited:
I feel kind of silly for saying it... but its kind of true. I feel a lot better about my SW fandom now that I can just watch the movies in a near-original state in HD.

one disk at a time brother...............one disk at a time............:lecture

Can't compare ANH with ESB. Both classic movies in their own right.

Hey Khev,

Fellowship (theatrical cut) is at the top of my list too. Theatrical cut has better use of Howard Shore's score (Shire opening score for sure is better with theatrical) and a much better flow overall IMO. Top 10 for sure. One of the few modern movies that is a classic.

Die Hard is great but would be in my second tier with other similar movies like Aliens, Terminator, Back to the Future, etc. Great movies but not at the same level.

Die Hard is great but would be in my second tier with other similar movies like Aliens, Terminator, Back to the Future, etc. Great movies but not at the same level.

Yeah I sort of get what you are saying but Damn it, it's Die Hard! Not as well made as the others but perfect in what it is. I don't watch it as much as the others but when I do I always say "Man what a great film"

For me it's one of the few films that is just below the all time greats but a step above the second tier films you listed.

It's in the Die Hard Zone!

But Dawn NEVER gets old!

I actually prefer Savini's remake to Romero's NotLD.

I let my sci-fi and adventure touch my horror.

TMI! We don't need to know your peepee's nickname. :lol

Hey Khev,

Fellowship (theatrical cut) is at the top of my list too. Theatrical cut has better use of Howard Shore's score (Shire opening score for sure is better with theatrical) and a much better flow overall IMO. Top 10 for sure. One of the few modern movies that is a classic.

I Like the original but will say that I have only returned to it once since the Extended edition. I own the Extended soundtracks also and have listened to them a great deal. I think because of that I prefer the music in the opening at the shire in the EE as I am use to it. I also like all the added Hobit stuff as it gives Bilbo more character.

Actually I think all the added stuff in Fellowship is top notch and improves the film a tad. I get a tad more Boromir also :) and he is by far my fav. character.

I the TTT was improved the most by the EE and that while ROTK had some great Extended stuff it also had some bad stuff also so the EE of that version is a draw.

But Fellowship is a modern classic no matter which version you watch.

Anyways.....

Die Hard!

I actually prefer Savini's remake to Romero's NotLD.

Actually I think Savini's NotLD is pretty damn good. I was just looking at the Romero flicks. I like the Night remake a little better also. I thought the Dawn Remake was good but nothing compared to the original. I don't even count the Day remake or whatever it was.

Back