Star Wars: A New Hope vs The Empire Strikes Back

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Would Yoda Do...... :dunno I don't say it either.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

wwyd-what-would-yoda-do-your-ass-kick-it-he-would.jpg

Pretty much agree with the original poster. ANH is my favorite for many of the same reasons: fun, energetic, lots of visual fodder for the imagination. As I've grown older, I've also come to appreciate it's perfect pacing and editing. My favorite soundtrack too.

ESB is the more profound, mature, and emotional piece.

You didn't enjoy Empire as much because you watched the new, butchered version of it on Blu-Ray!!!! Awful Fett voice, ruined end sequence pacing by having the new shuttle sequence, Vader's "Bring my shuttle" line replaced, stupid Cloud City crowd added scene and useless CGI, etc!

:)

Man, I really need to get you Harmy's original versions bro! Then you can see the real Empire in HD again.

I do know what you mean though, very tough call but I would still put Empire slightly above ANH.

There are few perfect films but I would say ANH, Empire, Raiders, Jaws, Godfather, E.T. and Fellowship are on my list.

Last edited:
Empire was a better overall movie but ANH holds the #1 spot for me just becasue it was the first one and it started my obsession with SW.

You didn't enjoy Empire as much because you watched the new, butchered version of it on Blu-Ray!!!! Awful Fett voice, ruined end sequence pacing by having the new shuttle sequence, Vader's "Bring my shuttle" line replaced, stupid Cloud City crowd added scene and useless CGI, etc!

:)

I don't disagree with you there Gruson. I hate Boba Fett's Jango voice, I am no fan of the "bring my Shuttle", I don't like the wampa scream of agony shot, and I don't like the new way the Emperor scene palys out. However I don't mind the mass of people on cloud city.

Overall I don't know how much it effect my enjoyment. Well Fett's voice will always and forever drive me crazy. But the changes in ANH are much worse IMO and still my enjoyment of that film lives on. It's like nothing can effect it. Not even Greedo shooting first or Jabba.

There are few perfect films but I would say ANH, Empire, Raiders, Jaws, Godfather, E.T. and Fellowship are on my list.

Yep E.T. is pretty perfect. I agree with you 100% on Fellowship. By far the best of the Ring films IMO. Never let it be said Gru that you don't have great taste in films :)

Close Encounters is pretty close to perfection also. Fully enjoy that film every time I watch it. JAWS, Raiders, E.T. Close Encounters, Man Speilberg use to make some great films. He still makes a good film here and there but nothing like he use to.

Man, I really need to get you Harmy's original versions bro! Then you can see the real Empire in HD again.

Anytime my friend :)

Well said Kev! SW is iconic in every way. Every single facet of the film just screams classic, from the costumes to the sets to the effects to the props.

And no scene moreso than Ben and Vader's duel on the Death Star. Talk about iconic. Look at all the elements in that sequence:

Darth Vader
Ben Kenobi
Luke, Han, and Leia in their classic outfits
Chewbacca
R2-D2 and C-3PO
Stormtroopers
The Millenium Falcon
The Death Star

tumblr_la3ztayyQS1qc5859o1_500.jpg

That's as iconic as it gets!

Yes, Close Encounters would be up there too. Love it.

If you want to send me a 32gig thumb drive, I will put Harmy's versions on it for you. Just PM me.

You will of course need a networked media tank like WDTV, Popcorn Hour, Apple TV, etc or home theater computer for playback. Or burn them with a BD burner.

Personally, I found ANH to be the modern epic tale of our days.

Sure ESB is better as a movie, but it couldn't be that good if it wasn't a sequel to the original STAR WARS. One built over the other.

Personally, I found ANH to be the modern epic tale of our days.

Sure ESB is better as a movie, but it couldn't be that good if it wasn't a sequel to the original STAR WARS. One built over the other.

This is probably right. I think ESB is the better movie, but ANH set the stage for EBS to be as great as it is.

Back