1/6 Star wars 1/6 SDCC 2019 Speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Solo figures and Last Jedi Chewbacca were always extremely unlikely to go up for PO, and were only there for display purposes. The same could be said about the AOTC C-3PO. Out of those 13 we could only realistically have expected 8 of the figures to make pre-order.

I don't understand this assumption except that its after the fact, especially the bold.

Why show figures that will never go up for preorder? The "assumption" is that all of them will go up for preorder. SDCC is not a test market.

Wasn't Lando Skiff shown from Sideshow as well? Another one that never made PO.

I'd like you to tell us which ones will go up for PO and which ones won't this year at SDCC. I think everyone would feel better if they knew, I know I will.

Bespin Han and Lando
Snowspeeder Luke
AOTC Padme
General Grievous
Battle Droids and Clones.

Please and thank you.

The only fig that is 100% guaranteed to be shown is Bespin Han (with or without the carbonite block as a kind of DX.) My guess is they will also preview a Lando given he's in TROS but there wouldn't be many takers for a TROS Lando, so ESB Lando would be it.

If they preview those two together, they'd be crazy not to have done a Chewy with backpack 3PO - they seem to have pulled the Solo and TLJ versions of Chewy, probably for good reason (HT chewies are pretty easy to find for a good deal even today.) It makes sense because it's a multi-use Chewy that comes with a significant bonus accessory, though if the face is just as bad they may peg warm also - backpack 3PO is a cool accessory but it's very scene-specific and movie-specfic.

I don't understand this assumption except that its after the fact, especially the bold.

Why show figures that will never go up for preorder? The "assumption" is that all of them will go up for preorder. SDCC is not a test market.

I'd like you to tell us which ones will go up for PO and which ones won't this year at SDCC. I think everyone would feel better if they knew, I know I will.

Yeah, this seems to have gotten worse every year. The list of figs that HT has shown but abandoned has gotten WAY longer than the occasional fig that didn't make the cut for whatever reason.

The issue is that you assume the fig is coming and pass on other options assuming you'll have that displayed fig at that time next year then - nothing. I imagine a lot of people were holding out for a HT 3PO given they showed two versions - but nothing, and it's 2-3 years ago they first showed the TFA 3PO.

Yes, especially when they show pairings of figures that complement each other -- like Neo with never-produced Agent Smith -- or Mudtroopers and Rangetroopers. Makes it hard to decide on your own display. Solo without Chewbacca is a bit silly.

Okay so you would’ve assumed they’d put two Chewbaccas (Solo and TLJ) up for pre-order? No way did they have plans to release both of those. Also, you can’t convince me that they had any intention of releasing those Solo figures after the film’s poor box office showing and lukewarm response. They’d already made them assuming (there’s that word again) that Solo was going to be more successful than it was. Howard Chan has stated previously that they release figures based on reception of these figures at cons. A direct quote by the man himself “HT uses SDCC & ACGHK as a platform to communicate with collectors. Will then get feedback and guage market demand before deciding.” Also, what does a Sideshow figure (Skiff Lando) have to do with what Hot Toys release?

I would really be happy with just bespin Han and lando. Two major characters from esb that make every collection incomplete. I know 2 han figures are up right now, but that hasn’t stopped them from releasing 37 spidey figures in the last 3 weeks.

Howard Chan has stated previously that they release figures based on reception of these figures at cons. A direct quote by the man himself “HT uses SDCC & ACGHK as a platform to communicate with collectors. Will then get feedback and guage market demand before deciding.” Also, what does a Sideshow figure (Skiff Lando) have to do with what Hot Toys release?

Oh god, please. Howard Chan has said so many incorrect statements over many, many years... are you really going to cherry pick his words?

Then why don't they make signs that say: we're thinking about this. Or: "Maybe". Or: "In development"... instead of TBD.

Their platform to communicate with fans and get feedback is everything, cons included, but mostly Facebook, IG, forums, emails to their site, etc. If they went off of pure curiosity at cons then we'd have that Vulture figure by now. :lol

As far as Sideshow, I didn't realize we were just talking HT as my original question was about Sideshow. I still lump SS Star Wars in with HT I guess.

I still want to know what SW HT's are gonna get made from this year's SDCC from you. I can't always tell.

I’m thinking they’re saving ep.9 figures for NYCC since it’ll be closer to release.

I say:
TLJ Finn
TFA and/or TLJ Poe Dameron
Bespin Luke Skywalker (re-release)
Bespin Lando
Cassian Andor
Director Krennic
Baze Malbus
X-Wing (maybe)
Rey’s Speeder
Millennium falcon (cockpit or 1/12 scale)
TLJ Phasma
Snoke
Something from The Mandolorian
Qi’ra
TPM Obi-Wan
AOTC Anakin
Padme
Mace Windu
ROTS Emperor Palpatine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then why don't they make signs that say: we're thinking about this. Or: "Maybe". Or: "In development"... instead of TBD.

They really should do that. I’ve gotten my hopes up so many times because of that.

Oh god, please. Howard Chan has said so many incorrect statements over many, many years... are you really going to cherry pick his words?

Their platform to communicate with fans and get feedback is everything, cons included, but mostly Facebook, IG, forums, emails to their site, etc. If they went off of pure curiosity at cons then we'd have that Vulture figure by now. :lol

As far as Sideshow, I didn't realize we were just talking HT as my original question was about Sideshow. I still lump SS Star Wars in with HT I guess.

I still want to know what SW HT's are gonna get made from this year's SDCC from you. I can't always tell.

Bloody Hell I wish I used the word “predict” instead of “assume” now haha. Peace.

They really should do that. I’ve gotten my hopes up so many times because of that.

Yeah, I think it would be very helpful to collectors to know that something is "coming soon" or is simply "in development", especially since HT has such a high rate now of non-produced figures shown.

Bloody Hell I wish I used the word “predict” instead of “assume” now haha. Peace.

I'm really not trying to nail you, but if your prediction is that good that you hit all those last year, I honestly want to know what you predict for this year. Seriously. It will help me collect.

Unless you're wrong. :lol

I'm really not trying to nail you, but if your prediction is that good that you hit all those last year, I honestly want to know what you predict for this year. Seriously. It will help me collect.

Unless you're wrong. :lol

No worries. Sadly I have no psychic abilities, I’m just a doll collecting man baby with too much time on his hands to analyse new goodies :)

Anything that @Wor-Gar said here.

Tbh I don't even quite understand the purpose of such kind of threads. These discussions won't give us the slightest hints about what will really be shown, because Hot Toys didn't give us any. The convention is coming, and we will all know it for sure soon.

Or at least change this thread to "my personal wishlist" instead of "speculation"...

How so?????

Not much has been shown so far this year. They missed a big opportunity at SWC. But I realize it was close to Avengers Endgame. If Hot Toys doesn't have a strong Star Wars presence at SDCC I would find that worrisome. And if they do bring it, then all will be forgiven.

Not much has been shown so far this year. They missed a big opportunity at SWC. But I realize it was close to Avengers Endgame. If Hot Toys doesn't have a strong Star Wars presence at SDCC I would find that worrisome. And if they do bring it, then all will be forgiven.

I don’t expect them to bring it on the SW front.....Solo bombed, The sequel trilogy is half (for) n half (against) and all kinds of division in the fandom .... the sure money is in Marvel.

Last edited:
This whole year has been worrisome. Krennic is the only real wow figure for Star Wars all year, for me anyway. Cody, R2, qui gon... meh
All figures we’ve had already. I would also bet jango is next. Another figure that’s ok, but not essential, especially as the ss version isn’t that old. If Star Wars sales are lagging, release figures that either haven’t been done before or figures that seriously need an upgrade (bespin Han and lando).

Okay so you would’ve assumed they’d put two Chewbaccas (Solo and TLJ) up for pre-order? No way did they have plans to release both of those. Also, you can’t convince me that they had any intention of releasing those Solo figures after the film’s poor box office showing and lukewarm response. They’d already made them assuming (there’s that word again) that Solo was going to be more successful than it was. Howard Chan has stated previously that they release figures based on reception of these figures at cons. A direct quote by the man himself “HT uses SDCC & ACGHK as a platform to communicate with collectors. Will then get feedback and guage market demand before deciding.” Also, what does a Sideshow figure (Skiff Lando) have to do with what Hot Toys release?

That explains like 2-3 figures that didn't see release, what about all the rest? Solo was the only SW film that had "poor" box office.

And I really don't understand what HT means by "feedback" and "gauge market demand" at SDCC and ACGHK - what feedback exactly? Like fans on the floor saying they would or wouldn't buy it? Wouldn't an online poll or something be a better way to roughly judge fan feedback or talk directly to retailers in terms of market demand - I mean did they really have to go to all the trouble to make/tease a Snowtrooper officer or ANH power droid when a poll on the HT facebook page or whatever would at least give them enough info to proceed to make the fig?

And as people said above - it's not necessarily the fact they make and show these (something like a dozen now) SW figs that never see release, it's the fact they strongly infer they will be available, then they disappear forever. Even if HT showed them, but announced a month after the con that the interest just wasn't there so they've decided not to produce the fig they showed. Instead, it just goes into limbo for years.

Back