Star Trek: Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Patrick Stewart is back as Captain Picard!

It was an awesome show and each member of the crew did play an important part in the series. I'm glad to have it and the original series on Blu ray. I watch them all from time to time. Hopefully Picard adds to the legend of the crew as well.

My takeaways from that trailer

-Data's hairline looks wrong

-it's coming across very new-Trek ala the Abrams films and Discovery and it's hard not to worry about that. With Patrick Stewart though I'm prepared to give it a chance.

No expense spared to make this by the looks of it. Very smart of Amazon to take on Disney+ with Star Wars.
Looks great very much looking forward to this.....

So international streaming rights for this goes to Amazon instead of the usual Netflix?

That's looking great. They've got the nostalgia boxes firmly ticked. Hopefully they nail the story too!

It's here.

C- so far.
If it wasn't for Patrick Stewart, it would be even lower.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Why does Trek under these people have to be so down and dour? If Gene were still alive, I think he and George Lucas could go out and commiserate over drinks on what happened to the franchises they created and how they were run aground by people that just don't get them.

Yeah...I wasn't impressed. No real spoilers below, just commentary on character and editing, but don't click if you want to go in blind.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I actually enjoyed the first episode... I think it might turn some older fans off because it's trying to be more serious vs the semi-campiness of TNG... Don't get me wrong I enjoyed TNG but it had it's share of cheesy episodes... Stewart has said several times that he wanted to do something different with this show and not make it feel like TNG just 20+ years later...

excellent first episode. This is NOT the next generation back on tv. It's definitely a continuation of some of those characters, however.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it was a great continuation of TNG's characters but definitely not what that series was in theme and tone. Can't wait to see where this goes.

I dug it too, some Blade Runner parallels.

As a fan of the IDW comics I'm hoping they remain canon re: Data's return.

It's here.

C- so far.
If it wasn't for Patrick Stewart, it would be even lower.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Why does Trek under these people have to be so down and dour? If Gene were still alive, I think he and George Lucas could go out and commiserate over drinks on what happened to the franchises they created and how they were run aground by people that just don't get them.

YT vids speculate re Stewart's influence e.g. he wanted "relevancy" etc. Brexit/Trump or whatever.
https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/patrick-stewart-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-1203459573/
?He is uninterested in repeating himself,? says Alex Kurtzman, the show?s creator and executive producer, and the mastermind behind CBS? effort to not just revive ?Star Trek? but also transform it into a vast narrative universe in the Marvel mold. ?Everything he does is filled with innate integrity. He fights for the things he believes in. And he?s very willing to collaborate once you?re on the same wavelength.?

IMO overall it almost sounds like it was Stewart's way or no go. IMO having a Pulitzer prize winning writer walk already isn't a great sign. Not invested in Star Trek - watched the trailer - may catch this sometime. Or not. It might end up OK.:dunno

I'm open to see where it goes, of course. I don't want more TNG which is dated as hell; but the first episode remains messy for me on multiple levels. I hope they get a handle on that. As for the idea that it was "Stewart's way or no go" -- that is a little worrisome.

I think Stewart appears to be a great guy and he's a fine actor, but there are many actors who should stick to acting so I'm not giving him carte blanche. Nothing to do but sit back and watch it unfold -- I won't judge a series by one episode. :dunno

I'm open to see where it goes, of course. I don't want more TNG which is dated as hell; but the first episode remains messy for me on multiple levels. I hope they get a handle on that. As for the idea that it was "Stewart's way or no go" -- that is a little worrisome.

I think Stewart appears to be a great guy and he's a fine actor, but there are many actors who should stick to acting so I'm not giving him carte blanche. Nothing to do but sit back and watch it unfold -- I won't judge a series by one episode. :dunno

Well, that was just my impression from reading articles. It just seemed like the producers really wanted (justifiably) wanted Stewart on board, so possibly were willing to work with him more re the production.

That's not to say that actors shouldn't contribute to their characters - a favorite story of mine is that in POTC1 it was Johnny Depp who came up with the famous end line "Now, bring me that horizon". Pablo Pascal has talked about working with director for a more fun take on his Whiskey character than was written originally. Chris Evans came up with new ways to handle/toss his shield, and so on.

But, I get that some actor ideas can just sink a production, or may not be what a lot of the audience wants to see. Personally I'd rather have Picard be an older version of the Picard I knew - there are still some lines of his like "A lie of omission is still a lie" that always stick with me.

Back