1/6 Star Ace Christopher Lee Dracula

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, it's the one I have!
I ported mine to an old Sideshow Buck and got some pointy black boots for it as well.
It really is a nice figure for its time.
I might get this one as well, if my funds allow it!

Or maybe, just maybe, the licence is owned by another party. If you look at the DVDs, they seem to belong to different studios. Horror of Dracula is Warner if I remember correctly, most belong to another studio (can't remember and Im at work so I can't check) and a couple more movies (Satanic Rites of Dracula and the last one, here again can't check) aren't even available.

Horror = Warner
Scars = EMI
Satanic = Originally was Warner
Dracula A.D = Warner
Dracula & Son? = Gaumont?

Or maybe, just maybe, the licence is owned by another party. If you look at the DVDs, they seem to belong to different studios. Horror of Dracula is Warner if I remember correctly, most belong to another studio (can't remember and Im at work so I can't check) and a couple more movies (Satanic Rites of Dracula and the last one, here again can't check) aren't even available.

Horror = Warner
Scars = EMI
Satanic = Originally was Warner
Dracula A.D = Warner
Dracula & Son? = Gaumont?

:lecture

Yes, Hammer had a lot of partners for distribution. There were nine Dracula films in all, and they're probably spilt up all over the place rights wise.

If I get this - it's on my list - it won't be because of the film, but Lee's character. And I'm guessing that was Star Ace's intention.

The film itself was pretty bad, even by Hammer's standards, with the poor matte paintings, obvious painted cardboard sets, and that pair of red speedos! I'm pretty sure it would work better in black and white, and not just because of the red speedos.

With the figure itself there may be one issue: it's height.

Star Ace has him listed at 30cm. Lee was 6'5" / 196 cm tall. The figure should therefore be 32.66 cm, which is roughly a tall Coo Model with long ankle pegs.

For me, the problem with the figure is the nose. Sideshow got it wrong for their Scaramanga, Star Ace has it wrong too. It's too straight. Only Product Enterprise got it right. But I'll probably get this cuz I'm just such a great Dracula/Lee fan.

As for the movies, I really like scars! Lee is great, it's rather bloody for the time, the girls are hot... Actually, I'd rank it number 3 in the Hammer Draculas. Strangely enough, I prefer Dracula Prince of Darkness to Horror. If only Cushing had starred in DPoD, that movie would be perfect.

Updated paint job on Dracula. Do you prefer this to the original paint?

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Updated paint job on Dracula. Do you prefer this to the original paint?

Much better. It's brought the sculpt back out. It could do with being a fraction less pale - a bit of colour, but I'd be happy with that.

Let's hope SA can keep that quality through production.

I'll get it after in-hand pics and then add some blood to his teeth and mouth.

The new paint does look great, but the 'closed' mouth sculpt still is bad. I think a completely closed mouth would work much better. Its just a very awkward look. I get they are trying to show off the fangs, but it just isn't working. I think the open mouth sculpt does the job of showing off the fangs just fine. I'm guessing this was their reference:

Lee.jpg

I think some better choices would be:
christopher-lee-dracula.jpg

dracula-prince-of-darkness-black-and-white.jpg

I think the issue is the mouth just isn't open enough. Either open it up more like the first one here or completely close it like the second photo.

And I do think a little blood on the wide open mouth would be appropriate
Christopher-Lee-Dracula-006.jpg

Also, I feel the shape of the nose is throwing the likeness off. It seems too big at the tip. Its much smaller in the photos above. Currently, the sculpt is too Sauraman era and not enough Dracula era.

I am thrilled they are working on this more though! Gotta love it when companies pay attention to fan constructive criticism. I think if they tweak the calmer expression a bit it would greatly improve the figure overall. A little blood on the wide open mouth would be nice, but certainly not a deal breaker. Easy enough to add for anyone that really needs it I suppose.

Back