SSC TPM Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LED lights are cheap. If Hasbro can put them in a $10 toy then the production cost really has no significant bearing. That is just an excuse to price gouge the customer.

Movie_Heroes_US_Carded_Obi-Wan-01.jpg
MH16-OBI-WAN-09.jpg

I don't think it's the light up saber, the GI Joe line is nearly the same price now. Even without the light up saber it would be $135. I preordered this because I already have Qui Gon and Darth Maul, may as well round out the set.

Add the light-up feature to another figure. This feature isn't going to help sales for this guy. It'll mostlikely drive people away. I may have picked up this guy, but not at that price. The saber could have been put in with the up coming Vader (which it will). We are already expecting to pay through the nose for him. Hiding the price hike within the already over inflated rate. There's no hiding anything with this figure. He is just overpriced. He'll be given away bundled with some other SW product selling strategy.

WOW-i see McGregor in the headsculpt-especially the neutral.
The accessories are pretty cool too,hands,feet,extra head,lightup sabre.
People don't want to pay $150 plus shipping-so be it,don't buy.
Speak with your wallets and that is your choice.
Then hopefully the day will come when ALL the haters will cause the prices to drop(NOT)....
If the prod turns out like the proto-WOOT WOOT>

WOW-i see McGregor in the headsculpt-especially the neutral.
The accessories are pretty cool too,hands,feet,extra head,lightup sabre.
People don't want to pay $150 plus shipping-so be it,don't buy.
Speak with your wallets and that is your choice.
Then hopefully the day will come when ALL the haters will cause the prices to drop(NOT)....
If the prod turns out like the proto-WOOT WOOT>

I agree with you, it's just the way things are. Hopefully enough people will be able to persude SSC to lower their costs by avoiding this figure. Me however...I'm a sucker :) I didn't get this for the light up saber, though I am curious how that will turn out. I got this because it comes with 2 heads, I have some spare bodies and jedi outfits laying around. It also comes with a whole bunch of hands. I can't pass up the 'Jedi Mind Trick' hand, or the flat posed hand so I can pose some figures playing that knife between the fingers game.

Got my EX in earlier today. So excited for this!

Can't wait to upgrade my other Obi-wan figures as well!
The pre-order is up, just click on the "upcoming product" image of obi wan on the home page

EX ordered :yess:

EST. Ship date of Feb 2013, not bad!
:hi5:
I hope that ship date stays true. I've needed this figure years ago.

I just ordered my Ex. :yess:
:hi5::yess:
Its that light up saber that is driving the price up. People have been whining for those for years and now that they get it, they whine it makes the figure cost too much. At this point, I think STFU and either buy something or don't. Don't say you wish it was price X or came with X because you don't want to pay for it in the end. :pfft:

:goodpost::lecture

One of the best posts I've read in a long time.

Buttmunch is funny!
Yes, they added much value to an otherwise weak and out of date offering. Look at all the new engineering on this thing: new hands, saber, boot/shoe articulation! This thing is ****ing awesome! Again, my only regret is that SS won't release these newly engineered parts as kits. Be very badass to add all this new stuff to upgrade my old figures .

Its that light up saber that is driving the price up. People have been whining for those for years and now that they get it, they whine it makes the figure cost too much. At this point, I think STFU and either buy something or don't. Don't say you wish it was price X or came with X because you don't want to pay for it in the end. :pfft:

Obviously, it's not the light that's jacking up the price, it's what HT has been able to get from their figures that's causing SSC to rethink things.

I'm not saying I'm not willing to drop $150 on a figure - I've been dropping close to $200 on HT figures lately, so that's not the issue. As always it's a matter of what you get for your money. Is the headsculpt there? Not really. Is this a brand new figure? No, the clothes are the same with just the head and saber being new. Is it comparable in price to other figures of it's quality and design? No way, not when comparable Clone Commanders get a ton more for alot less and considering this figure is just a slight retool, it bascially counts as a clone style release to me.

It's just not worth it. I got $150 I can drop - just not on this. I'll probably be cancelling my PO soon.

Clothes are not the same. Has SS done Jedi clothes before? Yes, but it's not like they stripped EP2 Obi and put those clothes on this figure. Boots are a new sculpt, all those hands are new too. Belt is new as well. Jedi robe looks to be of a material that hangs a bit better than the original ones as well. I see this Obi-wan being the start of a clone like chain though for figures to come. More male Jedi and Sith will now probably use these hands developed here as well as the belt, robe and boot style.

Comparing this to say HT Avengers Cap, I think you get more of your monies worth here than with Cap. Cap may have an arguably more complex suit, but what else are you paying and extra $65 for what? Paint apps? Take out the light-up feature for Obi-wan and they come out pretty much equal so why isn't Cap $150? In both threads ppl argue whether both sculpts are accurate or not. How is Cap give you your monies worth over this figure? :dunno there's no answer b/c it's subjective. What one person pays for an item is different than what another is willing to. The way I see it, its always been a take or or leave it kind of hobby

Last edited:
I think with the price of collecting now people are
Just being more selective and feeling the price
Point now.
I think this is a pass for me.

LOL! That's awesome! This does look tempting. It's probably on a pro body so I'd have to swap that out but everything else looks great! Very tempting indeed.

I am a big ol' Obi fan and this is a must for me. Of course this is subjective to everyone and their tastes, but I think he looks great...not a perfect McGregor...but its good enough for me, plus he come with alot of nice extras....and I can't wait to round out my Duel of the Fates display!! :yess:

Now if we could just get an updated Maul and Qui Gonn that are updated for the tech SS has available now...:impatient:

:goodpost::lecture:lecture:lecture

If I wanted padawan Obi I would buy the Ex one despite the lack of likeness just bcuz of the lit-up saber.

Yeah, have to say I totally don't get the *****ing on price with this release. $150.00 is totally average nowadays and it seems a fair price for what you're getting. The Tusken Raider is $135.00, Bossk is $160.00, Boba Fett and IG $175.00... How the **** is this a surprise to anyone? Totally fits in, price to value ratio, IMO.

And as far as the 'these were $65.00 3 years ago' argument goes, yes, they were, but they looked like total crap. They literally looked no better than a Hasbro doll. If the details were still that bad on these figs, I never would have bothered collecting this stuff. It would be embarrassing to display. Just buy less stuff and only what you really like. Problem solved.

Last edited:
I think the light-up saber can be a fun option... like the features on Ironman and IG-88 I won't use them very much, but it's cool that they are there.

And I did order the exclusive yesterday.

I definitely want this but it will have to wait. With 7 figures on pre-order my wallet can't handle any more right now. I will eventually pick this up but for now I must live vicariously.

Back