1/6 SSC Thor Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, if this looks that far off from the prototype, then Sideshow needs to throw in the towel for their 1/6 Marvel figures. Their Daredevil is atrocious, now followed by this Thor. Hopefully like everyone says that it's just a bad photo.

Wolverine was a figure that looked just ok in pics but quite a few enjoyed the figure in hand apparently, i hope its the same here. I just wanted a thor that was closer to the comics.

The first hot toys thor is my only thor thus far. As the MCU has gone forward, they have really strayed from the comic thor. So i was hoping this might fill that gap. What i really think would be cool is a translucsent spinning mjolnir. I'm a little surprised we've never seen that.

I didn't follow all the discussion about the DC or Marvel SS figs, but I heard bits and pieces about some of the overwhelming disappointment with certain releases.

Wolvie looks cool to me as an outsider looking in and I think I heard there were a lot of people disappointed with the Punisher, but I can't really figure out why. From where I'm standing I thought Pun looked awesome.

But I was really impressed with Daredevil, Ghost Rider and especially Thor when I saw the protos at NYCC. GR doesn't look exactly as good as the proto did, Daredevil looks like it took a serious hit, fingers crossed for Thor

No offense to Sardo, but I'm hoping it's just the pics making him appear like that. I don't even collect 1/6 comic versions of characters, but I was so tempted to jump on this because the proto looked better than any of their comic characters so far IMO

No offense taken, as it's not my figure or photos.
I'll say this, though. All 1/6 figure pics, that are taken at a downward angle (even if it's only slight), with a cell phone camera, appear to have big heads. Look at any thread on this forum, doesn't matter if it's SS or Hot Toys, or whoever, so I'm a little surprised that folks seem to think it's the figure, not the photo. Also, it's pretty obvious that the lighting is different in the facebook pics vs the prototype pics. For me, the biggest differences in the proto vs the in-hand is the vest/shirt. The v-neck doesn't seem as deep, and the cuffs at the shoulders look a little thicker, and maybe a different color. I'll wait to see it in-hand myself to be sure, but this seems like one of the more faithful proto-to-production that SS has done so far.
It's definitely not Classic Thor, which is a shame, but it looks like they were going for a 616-type look, with a little added fur for the Norse style.
Thor-Marvel-Comics-Odinson-Profile-e.jpg
3642170-7545375310-Thor_.jpg

I'm pretty happy with both Wolvie and the Punisher. It could use more accessories, but if this Thor is as good as either of those, I for one, will be happy..
PunWolvie.jpg

I also really like the Sideshow wolverine. Pretty neat figure. Thor looks alright.

Pretty sure it's just the angle and lighting. Looks very much like the prototype
View attachment 405347

Regardless off whether or not it's a bad pic, there is still no way this thing is worth $250 after seeing the final figure. I was really hoping for the best and to be blown away. Mjolnir looks not much better than the 12" ML version. A chunk of cheap plastic. His hammer and helmet should've been metal at this price point. That's just an insane price for nothing. At least it's a printed base rather than the all black one.They should have included multiple arms like Wolverine & Jarnbjorn or even made that as the Ex rather than Throg. They are only making 750 of the exclusive with the Thor Frog and it is still available. Surely SS must realize fans are unhappy with these prices. With such a low number for the exclusive this should have been an absolute PO sellout, yet here it is about to ship and the EX is still available.

I wanted Wolverine, but also resisted because of the price and was hoping for a 2nd yellow/blue version. And he came with 2 heads, 4 arms, 6 hands, a mask, metal claws and a metal sword as the Ex. And his arms are more muscular than Thor's as well. He was a bargain at $250 compared to Thor. As well as Deadpool, Punisher, Ghost Rider & Daredevil all coming with way more goodies than this.

I'm still hoping for better pictures, but this thing is barely worth $200. I even have $240 in RP's just sitting which would make this practically free. From the looks, I'd be just as happy with the 12" ML legends Thor which I will inevitably pick up when it hits $25 just like the other figures did. Thor is my favorite Marvel character since the 80's. I really was hoping for a nice comic Thor from SS.... :( Looks like the closest I'll ever get is the HT DW/AOU Thor.

Yeah it's definitely the angle of the camera that's creating some aspecting making the head look a bit larger in the image.
The best place to center your viewing angle is just above the hips to see the figure at it's midpoint.
Better images are needed.

Regardless there is still no way this thing is worth $250

Agreed.
I've never understood why some figs come with so much, and some with so little (same thing with their DC Batman & Supes vs Green Lantern). To be fair though, I don't think any Marvel Legends figs can compare with these. The Sideshow figs do not look as ToysRUs as the ML figs.

Worst case scenario is to mix and match bits with hot toys for a thor representation i like. At least then I'll know what to do with the mjolnir that came with hot toys vision.

Agreed.
I've never understood why some figs come with so much, and some with so little (same thing with their DC Batman & Supes vs Green Lantern). To be fair though, I don't think any Marvel Legends figs can compare with these. The Sideshow figs do not look as ToysRUs as the ML figs.

Wait, are you comparing a 250.00 figure made by SSC to a ML figure made by Hasbro? It's like comparing a 80k Mercedes to a Hot Wheels. Of course the SSC should look better. It's like saying who is the better basketball player, Lebron James or my 4 year old.

Cellphone cameras use a slightly wide angle lens so they can capture a more photo. With that comes slight fish eye so the center is one size and then the surrounding areas become bigger. People tend to take pictures of figures with the head at the top, torso in the middle, and feet at the bottom of the frame. This distorts everything. If you want to accurately capture proportions, you need to keep as much of the figure in the middle and leave the outside of the frame empty and use the digital zoom to increase the figure to the full frame. This will reduce the resolution of the image but can maintain the proportions better.

Wait, are you comparing a 250.00 figure made by SSC to a ML figure made by Hasbro? It's like comparing a 80k Mercedes to a Hot Wheels. Of course the SSC should look better. It's like saying who is the better basketball player, Lebron James or my 4 year old.

No, I was just responding to Loki's response that he/she expects to be just as happy with the ML figure. Personally, I don't know how anyone who collects Hot Toys or SSC, could also be just as happy with a ML figure, but to each their own... at the same time though, I'm just as happy with McDonald's, as I am a high-end steakhouse, depending on what I'm in the mood for....

No, I was just responding to Loki's response that he/she expects to be just as happy with the ML figure. Personally, I don't know how anyone who collects Hot Toys or SSC, could also be just as happy with a ML figure, but to each their own... at the same time though, I'm just as happy with McDonald's, as I am a high-end steakhouse, depending on what I'm in the mood for....

Then we are in agreement as I too enjoy some Mickey D's for a victory meal. Also, I agree with your stance on ML; there are some You Tube reviewers who believe Marvel Legends are adult collectibles. That made my face scrunch up; they are kids toys that adults collect; nothing more. If your Collecting Jones is satisfied by ML that's fine but do not tell me that they are adult collectibles because it is your preference.

:lol

No that's not what I meant. obviously the two aren't equal. I own many HT & SS 1/6 scale figures & several SS premium format statues as well as Master Replica's movie props as well as many 6" figures & 3 3/4" figures.. I collect many things from Star Wars & Marvel. The only thing I compared the SS to the ML was Mjolnir. " Mjolnir looks not much better than the 12" ML version." The SS looks to be nearly as cheaply made.

I collect mostly Thor & Silver Surfer stuff on the comic side. So I wanted to eventually get the 12'' ML Thor. My comparison was meant as I didn't feel the ML is worth the $50, just as in no way is the SS worth $250 with what little he comes with and what at 1st appearances seems to be the final product in the photo. "From the looks, I'd be just as happy with the 12" ML legends Thor which I will inevitably pick up when it hits $25 just like the other figures did." From a price to quality stand point is what I meant.

I already have 4 HT movie Thor's. Was hoping this would look good, but so far I am not impressed.

What trench is that on your Punisher? I got a trench for mine but it fits like spandex.

It's actually from the Marvel Studios 12 inch Punisher. Definitely a lower quality coat than other 1/6 clothing, but it's wired, and the fit is a little baggy, which struck me as very 80's looking.

Back