1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

It’s such a shame that we still don’t have a great Hamill sculpt.

Something about this figure in the pics intrigues me. Almost to the point I think it may look better than the HT. I keep going back and looking at the promo pics. I think it looks great, yet at the same time I'm still skeptical since it's SS. I am keeping my HT preorder. I'd maybe pick this up after seeing a comparison of this and HT version in reviews/pics of the 2 together. That is, if I can find it for under $200 perhaps.

SS really burned us with the C-3PO figure. My last purchase of a SS product. All the promo pictures had the correct thumbs, then instead of admitting there was an error, they actually changed ALL the photo's to the production version with the obvious production error thumbs. I have the original pictures they took down. And then respond to the buyers that inquired into it that "this can happen in the production process". They actually said this is the way the figure was intended to be... Really?? Errors are supposed to be fixed, not passed off as an acceptable "You Win Some You Lose Some" response. A $230 collectible shouldn't have such a glaring issue. I love the C-3PO figure and am happy I have it, but it bothers me they simply did not care enough. I'd rather them come out and admit that it was an oversight on the final prototype that got overlooked, and thus offer some kind of credit to those who bought it. Not the usual response of you can return it or take a $20 credit nonsense. They should've went back and just did a run of corrected hands only, like they did with the Mythos Vader statue that had the alternate arm in the wrong pose. Admission of fault, and the fact they are willing to fix it goes a long way in earning trust. SS lost mine.

Same reason I passed on Darth Maul. Not to mention the price gouging they've recently dived into. How This is $235 w/enough accessories to make 2 versions of the same figure w/free S&H to boot, compared to Maul at $240 with nothing but some hands...

I have the HT coming, but I may order this one for speeder bike display and just swap out the Inigo head sculpt. However not sure how this is going to compare size wise to the HT line, not to mention SS paints.

I'll probably end up getting both of these for some reason. It's odd. This sculpt really works for me on some angles. Moreso than the HTs. Though HTs is definitely the better of the two overall. I think it's the stern look that's doing it for me.

It’s such a shame that we still don’t have a great Hamill sculpt.

There really hasn’t been. Even all the customs fall short IMO. Ford people have started getting closer on, with the TFA version, the Jnix ANH Han and then some of the Indy customs out there. Even Sideshow’s Temple of Doom is pretty good.

All the Luke figures look off though. Can’t even say which is the best TBH.

Something about this figure in the pics intrigues me. Almost to the point I think it may look better than the HT. I keep going back and looking at the promo pics. I think it looks great, yet at the same time I'm still skeptical since it's SS. I am keeping my HT preorder. I'd maybe pick this up after seeing a comparison of this and HT version in reviews/pics of the 2 together. That is, if I can find it for under $200 perhaps.

SS really burned us with the C-3PO figure. My last purchase of a SS product. All the promo pictures had the correct thumbs, then instead of admitting there was an error, they actually changed ALL the photo's to the production version with the obvious production error thumbs. I have the original pictures they took down. And then respond to the buyers that inquired into it that "this can happen in the production process". They actually said this is the way the figure was intended to be... Really?? Errors are supposed to be fixed, not passed off as an acceptable "You Win Some You Lose Some" response. A $230 collectible shouldn't have such a glaring issue. I love the C-3PO figure and am happy I have it, but it bothers me they simply did not care enough. I'd rather them come out and admit that it was an oversight on the final prototype that got overlooked, and thus offer some kind of credit to those who bought it. Not the usual response of you can return it or take a $20 credit nonsense. They should've went back and just did a run of corrected hands only, like they did with the Mythos Vader statue that had the alternate arm in the wrong pose. Admission of fault, and the fact they are willing to fix it goes a long way in earning trust. SS lost mine.

Same reason I passed on Darth Maul. Not to mention the price gouging they've recently dived into. How This is $235 w/enough accessories to make 2 versions of the same figure w/free S&H to boot, compared to Maul at $240 with nothing but some hands...

I'm usually the SSC apologist, but they just can't do human face paint apps on a production figure that are at the highest level of the hobby. Its been proven time and time again.

The Hoth Luke and Han heads weren't bullseyes as protos, but the paint certainly didn't look purplish-tan like the production figs do. Tan Solo and Taupe Skywalker. Even the most recent SSC human fig faces, which have been a noticeable step up, still aren't quite up to market standards (i.e. your standard DID Nazi officer.) The TOD Indy - while a major success for SSC (though the head is 15% underscale) - still isn't quite HT (or even DID) level. Which honestly, after all these years and at these pricepoints, is totally unacceptable.

So I justifiably have my doubts about this figure because I've been through all this many times before. I guess the fig has a very solid value just due to the outfits (and for a decent $230,) and maybe another Luke head will come along to replace this one if it also falls short, so on that basis it's okay.

Maybe buying this and the HT Luke Jedi will yield two figures with three outfits so that's something. If it turns out mediocre, partly "hiding" the SSC Luke head under the Speeder bike helmet or Jabba's hood is also possible. If it was just a Luke Jedi outfit with no hood or helemt, that wouldn't be possible.

I’m glad SS are releasing their own figure. I’m sticking exclusively to HT, but hopefully it will push HT for faster release dates

I'm usually the SSC apologist, but they just can't do human face paint apps on a production figure that are at the highest level of the hobby. Its been proven time and time again.

The Hoth Luke and Han heads weren't bullseyes as protos, but the paint certainly didn't look purplish-tan like the production figs do. Tan Solo and Taupe Skywalker. Even the most recent SSC human fig faces, which have been a noticeable step up, still aren't quite up to market standards (i.e. your standard DID Nazi officer.) The TOD Indy - while a major success for SSC (though the head is 15% underscale) - still isn't quite HT (or even DID) level. Which honestly, after all these years and at these pricepoints, is totally unacceptable.

So I justifiably have my doubts about this figure because I've been through all this many times before. I guess the fig has a very solid value just due to the outfits (and for a decent $230,) and maybe another Luke head will come along to replace this one if it also falls short, so on that basis it's okay.

Maybe buying this and the HT Luke Jedi will yield two figures with three outfits so that's something. If it turns out mediocre, partly "hiding" the SSC Luke head under the Speeder bike helmet or Jabba's hood is also possible. If it was just a Luke Jedi outfit with no hood or helemt, that wouldn't be possible.

Yeah, the only human SS head I like is the Temura Jango Fett head that was the excl. But as cool as it is, I have never displayed it over the helmeted head.

The more I think about it the more I think Sideshow may have been influenced by Luke's appearance in Battlefront 2. The facial features they went with plus the outfit, especially the width of the tunic, are pretty close to the version from the game.

wnGLSN0.jpg

JCDCEWs.jpg

There really hasn’t been. Even all the customs fall short IMO. Ford people have started getting closer on, with the TFA version, the Jnix ANH Han and then some of the Indy customs out there. Even Sideshow’s Temple of Doom is pretty good.

I mean, most of it is covered by helmet, but the snowspeeder version isn't terrible haha Just ignore the unhelmeted version...

I mean, most of it is covered by helmet, but the snowspeeder version isn't terrible haha Just ignore the unhelmeted version...

That's my sole young Luke at the moment. I have the Stormtrooper Luke too but usually just display it as a short Stormtrooper.

Dengar is hitting soon. First real test with a human likeness....If some pics are actual production, its looking promising, which will bode well for this release (hopefully)

One of Sideshow’s problems is the hair though, so Dengar should have more chance for success. The X-wing and Snowspeeder figures looked good with the helmets on, but less so without the helmets.

And even the Hoth figures had the advantage of the head gear. But the hair sculpt on the Snowspeeder Luke figure seemed really subpar to me. Almost to the point that they really shouldn’t have included it and reduced the price instead.

One of Sideshow’s problems is the hair though, so Dengar should have more chance for success. The X-wing and Snowspeeder figures looked good with the helmets on, but less so without the helmets.

And even the Hoth figures had the advantage of the head gear. But the hair sculpt on the Snowspeeder Luke figure seemed really subpar to me. Almost to the point that they really shouldn’t have included it and reduced the price instead.

Yeah, hair sculpts do seem to be part of the key problem with SSC - the hair is usually a very low-detail sculpt and then the hair paint apps always seem to be very matte and uniform. Even when they do try to vary the color, it seems very half-hearted.

The production head on Dengar looks like a bit of a step down on the proto to me (the NYCC pics were production fig or at least very close to production - totally different to the previous Dengar fig seen at shows,) but it's fine - his face is only about 3/4 visible and he's a somewhat generic looking "tough guy."

I seem to be in the minority but I much prefer the SS version, the sculpt is not all the way there but then neither is the HT in my opinion and I think the SS outfit is way superior to the HT one, each to their own I suppose, that said I won't be pre-ordering either since both SS & HT are not above the old bait'n'swich when it comes to head sculpts.

How about the HT Bespin Luke? I think it's dead-on.

How about the HT Bespin Luke? I think it's dead-on.

Yes, I think the Bespin Luke sculpt is an excellent likeness.

I think the hair sculpt is what leads people to not give it the credit it really deserves.

For people who think the SS head will turn out bad....I remind you of this monstrosity.....View attachment 389810

HT's weird obsession with Johnny Depp seeped into their other projects, like this one. People are forgiving of the realism, but overlook it when they miss the mark with a likeness, like that one and the ANH Han.

Back