1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Very interesting that Sideshow is doing this despite the Hot Toys one. If I didn't have the Hot Toys one on preorder already, I might consider the Sideshow one. But since the HT one exists, I have no need for this one. Even if the HT one didn't exist, I think I have enough Sideshow figures from years ago that I wouldn't bother any way.

Well I think this looks great! I pre ordered it from bbts. Also keeping my HT preorder. But I might just skip the HT Endor Luke now.

Re: Possible Hot Toys DC TV license?

All I want from either SSc or HT is for a luke ROTJ sculpt to have this face/look/expression:

IMG_3488.JPGIMG_3489.JPGIMG_3490.JPG

These are IMO, how luke looks like from ROTJ whenever ROTJ and Luke are mentioned in conversation. As for HT current offering, it seems like THIS:

IMG_3491.jpg
...is what they used as reference. Now, every actor has moments where the camera angle or lens makes them look unflattering, and that endor scene I just linked is IMO the one scene where mark hamill isn't photographed all that well...and yet HT seems to have used this as reference.

For now, both offerings from SSc and HT are weak. SSC has the determined look I desire, but has a weak hamill likeness. Whereas HT has a goofy expression, combined with a bloated face and round head...i just can't seem to win in regards to getting the ultimate 1:6 ROTJ Luke.

I regret POing HT Luke from my local toy store. Too late to cancel now. HT knows the SW 1/6 scale market is strongest in the western market when compared to Asia, so WE KNOW they're gonna milk us to hell with ROTJ luke. They have to, due to weak sales of SW characters in Asia, they gotta make the extra money from western customers. A DX will most definitely happen and most likely feature the better sculpt along with all of the accessories.

Dammit, I've been in this game long enough to know a DX ROTJ luke is planned. I should've skipped on the current one.

For now, both offerings from SSc and HT are weak. SSC has the determined look I desire, but has a weak hamill likeness. Whereas HT has a goofy expression, combined with a bloated face and round head...i just can't seem to win in regards to getting the ultimate 1:6 ROTJ Luke.

Yeah, I have to agree.

I held off POing the HT Luke hoping it might look better in in-hand pics/reviews, or maybe they'd tweak the sculpt as they have done with other figs. The likeness is decent but overall something is off with both face and hair.

The SSC is solid overall (and a good value in terms of outfits) but hardly a bullseye in sculpt and I'm 100% convinced (solely based on experience buying SSC human figs in the past 2-3 years) that SSC's paint apps will sink it.

We've had many Lukes that have been decent, even pretty good, over the past few years but it's remarkable that two different Luke Jedis would be announced and neither really nail the likeness. And here I thought it was Harrison Ford was the one nobody could nail the likeness on.

Yeah, I have to agree.

I held off POing the HT Luke hoping it might look better in in-hand pics/reviews, or maybe they'd tweak the sculpt as they have done with other figs. The likeness is decent but overall something is off with both face and hair.

The SSC is solid overall (and a good value in terms of outfits) but hardly a bullseye in sculpt and I'm 100% convinced (solely based on experience buying SSC human figs in the past 2-3 years) that SSC's paint apps will sink it.

We've had many Lukes that have been decent, even pretty good, over the past few years but it's remarkable that two different Luke Jedis would be announced and neither really nail the likeness. And here I thought it was Harrison Ford was the one nobody could nail the likeness on.

The thing with HT is, they're so close! It's just the art director (most of the time it's the painter) that thinks idealized is the way to go. It's rare for the art department to go for full on realism. I have no doubts they can achieve it, but they always prefer to minimize what they perceive as the subjects "flaws"...but after so many years and so many sculpts, they refuse to implement these "flaws". I mean, these flaws are what make our faces unique. Their doctor strange is imo one of HT BEST sculpts, hands down. Because Benedict cumberbatches face is so unique and "flawed" that there's no way for HT to idealize it without it becoming a completely different person.

Of course I can totally be talking outta my @$$ and Many of HT sculptors just aren't up to the task of providing completely accurate portraits.

I still think the HT sculpt captures him pretty darn well... but it does obviously need a bit more tweaking and refining.

...yes the expression on HT Luke scuplt is still kinda weird to me, compare to recent released Tarkin and upcoming Anakin...Luke ROTJ is the weakest

see Luke is this vid something really really bugs me though. But I have to get this Luke, only Luke version I wanted the most

Dammit, I've been in this game long enough to know a DX ROTJ luke is planned. I should've skipped on the current one.

Who knows when that's coming :impatient:

I'll probably get this to hold me over.

I still think the HT sculpt captures him pretty darn well... but it does obviously need a bit more tweaking and refining.

They just need to remove the "Luke in a 90's boy-band" aspect to the sculpt.:lol

I won't deny that between HT and SSC, HT has the better portrait...but as a diehard Luke fan, and knowing what the sculptors are capable of, I personally expected more. And to add insult to injury, they could've easily did what SSC are providing; ROTJ Luke with cloak and endor gear, with a second helmeted head sculpt. Portrait isn't there, but at least they're giving us everything...and the kicker? He's priced almost the same as HT version. Why the hell are HT making us buy a separate Luke just for the endor gear? That's almost like splitting ROTJ Vader with 2 releases; one without helmet reveal, and one with...but at a later date.

I don't think I'm completely out of line by making this statement: ESB may be the favored movie, but ROTJ Luke is the favored iteration of the hero. Pretty much every collector under the Tatooine suns has made speculations, guesses, bets that the next DX figure in the SW line is going to have to be ROTJ Luke. ESB Luke was a DX, so the only logical choice is/was ROTJ Luke. But what did we get instead? A regular, gimped release with ONE headsculpt. to be followed with a second version with endor gear. I know what HT are doing. I'm onto their game. They've done this before. Think back on the the dark knight rises DX12. Clearly the interchangeable mouthplates were lacking in likeness and detail. The eyes were still bug eyed...EVERYONE complained. A simple little change could've taken care of that, but HT didn't do ****. Reason being? Because of the eventual armory release that basically featured the same DX batman, but with fixed eyes, and shrunken 1/4 mouthplates that featured a better bale likeness.

The SW brand was never strong in China (one of HT biggest markets, thanks to marvel and iron man)...ESB Luke DX sales were abysmal there. When I lived in China, I was able to secure TWO of him MONTHS later, for a discounted price. During that time, it was unheard of for a HT release. This disappointing ROTJ Luke is their way of making a little more money from the other markets (the western market). Split him up into 3 figures: 1-regular. 2-endor. 3-DX with EVERYTHING and new headsculpts.

I'm aware there are those that are complacent or even satisfied with this current Luke. But personally, I am extremely disappointed. I regret POing this. And that's how HT gets you. Offer something from an extremely popular brand with JUST enough to call this a solid release, but hold back just enough so they can gouge you even further later.

I see what you're doing HT. You think you're slick, but you're not.

Fair insight.

I think the sculpt is decent as it is and things might change (we'll see when the final product photos eventually come out) but l don't think I'm not patient enough to wait for v.2 so I'm still on board with this.

Someone should email HT the comparison photos like they did with the ESB Boba.

...yes the expression on HT Luke scuplt is still kinda weird to me, compare to recent released Tarkin and upcoming Anakin...Luke ROTJ is the weakest

see Luke is this vid something really really bugs me though. But I have to get this Luke, only Luke version I wanted the most

It's the slight "Alfred E. Nueman" look to it that the toothy mouth gives it. Very distracting. I wish HT would move away from the teeth baring portraits.

How does neither company include the wind swept hair sculpture from the sail barge?

As is it me or does the SSC headsculpt have a JNIX farmboy luke quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSC Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

The Jnix sculpt has some issues (most notably the sunken in eyes) but to me this has one issue that the HT Farmboy Luke had, which is a bit of the egg-shaped hair.

On the left the hair looks promising but then you see that his head toward the back just keeps going up and up and up on the right. To me the sculpt looks like a combination of the two Snowspeeder Luke sculpts.

b1e0488e924a3a65bfb9583bc705e7ca.jpg

How does neither company include the wind swept hair sculpture from the sail barge?

As is it me or does the SSC headsculpt have a JNIX farmboy luke quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree on the hair thing; it's on the poster, it's pretty iconic. I would have liked that.

Totally agree on the hair thing; it's on the poster, it's pretty iconic. I would have liked that.

That really would have been good selling point for either company.

Just posted in the Facebook chat during SS's Wednesday live show, when asked why they made this figure the same time as HT:

"...this item has been in production for over two years. It is just a matter of coincidence."

Just posted in the Facebook chat during SS's Wednesday live show, when asked why they made this figure the same time as HT:

"...this item has been in production for over two years. It is just a matter of coincidence."

exactly, so in other words......."holy crap, get that ROTJ Luke out and saleable !!!, HT are about to steal all our sales !!!!!"

And judging by how the proto Dengar looked compared to the production version it doesn’t bode well for the paint app of the production version of this.

Back