1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

For people who think the SS head will turn out bad....I remind you of this monstrosity..... HTLS8.jpg

Monstrosity? That’s a little much..

Far far better than any Luke Sideshow has ever put out.

Also you can make crazy faces with any of the figures with PERS.

I'm thinking Sideshow must have had this figure pretty much prepared for a long time.

No doubt they have decided with Hot Toys to release at the same time to allow collectors to decide for themselves if they want all 3 looks in one figure or not.

If there was no agreement with HT (which may also be possible) then SS releasing their own after HT means less potential buyers (as most would have bought HT version).

Why would HT now decide do Rogue Luke and the bounty hunters because of this? Sideshow hasn't just teased/announced them - they've either shipped months ago (Rogue Luke, Bossk V.2, IG-88 V.2 and 4-LOM) or are shipping in the next few weeks (Zuckuss and Dengar.)

There seems to be an inference that HT will try to "pay back" SSC for doing this, but you'd think there'd be more profitable ways of doing that than redoing figures SSC has just squeezed dry. As much as I'd LOVE to see HT do figs like Bossk and IG-88 (as companions to the new, though not exactly exciting, HT ESB Fett) I just can't see HT doing them, especially with yet another SW movie coming mid year.

I haven’t seen both companies offer an unreleased character at the same time, although SSC has tackled Jedi Luke in the past and the only figures I have purchased from them have been those that HT has not offered, like the R2 units and TIE Pilots. Havent jumped on the bounty hunters since that’d be a pretty big chunk of a display but I most definitely would if HT did them since their quality is much better. This double-up of Lukes makes me believe that this could possibly happen - not any time soon especially with all the Marvel and SW releases on their plate (as mentioned), but still a possibility. Throw in other releases like Snow Trooper commander and the Biker Scout... Something I’m hoping for anyways.

Monstrosity? That’s a little much..

Far far better than any Luke Sideshow has ever put out.

Also you can make crazy faces with any of the figures with PERS.

I guess like all art...value is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think both SS Hoth Luke (undamaged) and especially the Snowspeeder Luke look better then any of HT attempts (until I see their Jedi in person that is). I already know...I'm probably in the minority but that's just the way it is.....

I'm thinking Sideshow must have had this figure pretty much prepared for a long time.

No doubt they have decided with Hot Toys to release at the same time to allow collectors to decide for themselves if they want all 3 looks in one figure or not.

If there was no agreement with HT (which may also be possible) then SS releasing their own after HT means less potential buyers (as most would have bought HT version).

I'm hoping you are right....I really want an endor Luke, but I'm afraid this release will cause HT to put their Endor Luke on the same scrap heap as Death Star Trooper, RO Hover Tank Driver, Baze, Gonk Droids, Sand trooper Sargent, Emperor, Royal Guards, ROTJ Stormtrooper, Endor Leia, TFA C-3PO.....NOT TO MENTION....the kids from Valerian, Valkyrie, Loki, Power Loader Ripley.....

For people who say "be patient....HT will get them"........you are forgetting all the Marvel movies slated to come out. I'm sure they can pump a few more Iron Man shells out....

I guess like all art...value is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think both SS Hoth Luke (undamaged) and especially the Snowspeeder Luke look better then any of HT attempts (until I see their Jedi in person that is). I already know...I'm probably in the minority but that's just the way it is.....
I'm here for support. :)
If it wasn't for complete lack of competence when it comes to Sideshow actually producing their stuff, I'm sure most people here would be preordering their Luke right now and praising the head sculpt.

HT Bespin Luke is not bad.

Far from it. Especially considering when it was released. Only on this forum could a figure that continually hold the highest resale value be this be called a monstrosity.
Luke-Skywalker-Star-Wars-DX-p-12.jpg

HT Bespin Luke is not bad.

Far from it. Especially considering when it was released. Only on this forum could a figure that continually hold the highest resale value be this be called a monstrosity.
Luke-Skywalker-Star-Wars-DX-p-12.jpg

Actually looking at ebay auctions....The Rogue Leader SS Luke is outselling any complete single DX07 figure. If you are considering sealed sales...it's not apples and apples as the DX is two figures.

Last edited:

It seems like a step backwards for Sideshow. I thought they did an amazing job with Darth Maul and than they come out with something that directly rivals Hot Toys.

They would have been better off making Rogue One extras like 2 tubes,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is reminding me a lot of the Rogue Squadron Luke when it went up for order. A lot or nit picking and crying....then after it actually came out...people who turned thier noses up at it were left crying on Ebay paying $$375 a piece for them. We'll see if history repeats itself.

Turned my nose up at it and got from popcultcha for around $250 shipped during a recent sale. It's a nice enough figure but has it's problems and the sculpt only works well because of the helmet. Sideshow's asking price was ridiculous and out of touch with the market. All that said I am happy to have it.

yeah I got one from popcultcha myself last Christmas during there same sale. got for a round $213 shipped. I know that was a better deal then paying the $280 asking price I think it was.

yeah I got one from popcultcha myself last Christmas during there same sale. got for a round $213 shipped. I know that was a better deal then paying the $280 asking price I think it was.

Plus shipping so would have been about $300 all in. The HT bespin is still kill of all Lukes if you ask me but the sideshow Snowspeeder is probably second.

This announcement and PO caught me by surprise this week. Was Sideshow really going back to the beginning and offering an updated version of where it all began in the SW sixth-scale Star Wars figures they offered?

A flash back to where it all began with Sideshow and Jedi Luke...

JEDI LUKE 001.jpg

When it was released, it was met with an intense response - quick sell-out of the PO and a firestorm of criticism for the collecting community. The long arms! The doll dot! The paint apps! The lacking likeness! All true, from a certain point of view. But it was also a great figure for the cost...a good selection of accessories for many display options, a nice window box featuring a great layout of the gear and the figure, along with a a written bio to enhance the presentation. It was also a step forward from what Hasbro had offered in sixth-scale over the years, although again for the cost and the market, the Hasbro figures were great, and many of them still look good even now.

It was the start of something big.

All these years later, Hot Toys is deep in the Star Wars mix and producing some fine looking figures as well. While well crafted and featuring paint apps second-to-none, they've had their own issues with likenesses and accuracy, further fueling the competition and debates with collectors.

I for one welcome it. I like what Hot Toys has offered so far - I haven't seen "Home Runs" every time out, but they've been pretty consistent. Sideshow has still produced some great figures as well, and the quality has improved significantly. I like what we're seeing with the prototype on this one. The expression featured on the portrait offers many more options as it was always a challenge to find a pose and snap a shot of the first version with those "wide eyes". I'm glad the "doll dot" is gone. The outfit options look great. Like many folks in here, I hope the production figure delivers on the promise of this prototype. If it does, it's going to be an awesome figure to feature in different display settings for photos as well as on the shelf.

It's exciting-nothing like a little healthy competition to bring up everyone's game. One last thing, Sideshow...please throw us that bone!

This very character is being offered in the same time frame by both companies- a first since Hot Toys gained such prominence with the SW sixth-scale market.

Last edited:

It seems like a step backwards for Sideshow. I thought they did an amazing job with Darth Maul and than they come out with something that directly rivals Hot Toys.

They would have been better off making Rogue One extras like 2 tubes,

Agree totally with SS going to aliens. They did them well. However I am of the opinion SS is getting out of the 1/6 figures totally. I wouldn't be surprised if this Luke figure was prepared a while ago prior to this decision. Now they are simply capitalising the work done, before HT takes all the sales.

There's something strangely similar between the original 2005 SS Luke Jedi and HT's Luke Jedi sculpt. Weird.

Yeah, who knows which company got to this first.
From experience, I know that it takes about 18 months from initial design approvals to product delivery for most sculptures/figures. Depending on the company's resources ($ dedicated to that specific release) and factory capacity, prototypes can emerge 6 to 12 months following initial design. As the US distributor, SS, I doubt, was ignorant to the HT development (if in fact they approached the figure first) and had ample time to decide on green lighting their product for production. Maybe this marks a change in the SS, HT relationship or its simply two companies offering similar products under one roof...odd timing, but not unheard of.

As Jedibear mentioned though, competition is a good thing. Keeps you sharp and hopefully translates to better quality control.

True, they both made an effort to get Hamill's mouth structure right instead of defaulting to ruggedly-handsome-man-mouth sculpt.
There's something strangely similar between the original 2005 SS Luke Jedi and HT's Luke Jedi sculpt. Weird.

Back