1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Toyanxiety is going to be selling these like hot cakes to go with that HT Luke Jedi figure!

Ah good ol’ Toy Anxiety has come to my rescue SOOO many times. I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t thought of that while posting[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahoy!
There are aspects of the SS sculpt that come across well, but as is with most Hamill sculpts, the mouth suffers most of the critique. Most attempts avoid the fullness of the upper lip evident after his appearance in Star Wars. That aside, he kinda has a little young Malcolm McDowell goin' on...

malcolm m.jpg

DCCEA2AD-6740-4970-B612-0009B351FCC1.jpg351369FC-E382-40FA-849E-78CF6F4E28D3.jpg555D03A0-8323-4C99-948F-5EEA5B5000D8.jpgMy Endor LUKE. I’m happy...

Attachments

• 1E215E33-AC08-4DE4-82DB-70F1302A6CF0.jpg
    1E215E33-AC08-4DE4-82DB-70F1302A6CF0.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 251

I was just about to cancel before I realized it wasn't HT lol. Such a weird release timing

I’m out of it for a little while and Sideshow gets delusions of grandeur!

Both of these figures over all look good. I must say that I am tempted by sideshows offerings by what they show in these pictures. Unfortunately the reality is you seldom get what you see in those pictures.

1. The body is always inferior to HT. I think we could all agree on that. The awkward articulation and loose joints always bring any figure down. Not to mention inaccuracies in height and inconsistent with its own character.

2. The paint apps for human faces is always inferior. Left for individual interpretation. But compared to HT it always seems like a kindergarten class project compared to DiVinci.

3. Screen inaccuracies in clothing. Though I think SSC has fantastic people doing the cut and sew on them, it’s the little things that bug me. The top stitch on the hood is not accurate.
But it was nice they put the little curve on the left side of the cloak below the clasp. Score 1 for SS.

The vest isn’t great either. I know some here prefer the wider prequel looking tabards for Luke like the first SS release but it is horribly inaccurate. It was a vest and not wide at all. Almost went to his shoulders if it got opened more in action scenes.

As you can see the HT is still too wide but better than SS. They both need to rethink the length of the tabard in the front at least. Medicom at least got that part right if only the length was better.

4. Sculpt. This is subjective I think. You can have 100 people have 100 different opinions on the accuracy of a sculpt. In my opinion both are good in their own way. They both capture the “essence” of Jedi Luke but SS always seems more of a “caricature” design and HT seems more “idealized”. Then I have to think about what will I be happy with on my shelf and what would I be less regretful in purchasing? If I had endless space and endless money I’d get both but I have to be a bit more choosy about what I want on my shelf and it is HT.

Excellent analysis from one of our pre-eminent 1/6 Luke collectors/customizers/experts on here.:clap

Ahoy!
There are aspects of the SS sculpt that come across well, but as is with most Hamill sculpts, the mouth suffers most of the critique. Most attempts avoid the fullness of the upper lip evident after his appearance in Star Wars. That aside, he kinda has a little young Malcolm McDowell goin' on...

View attachment 389708

Yeah, I also see young Harry Hamblin and Richard Chamberlain and even Chris Pine.

All together, it does deliver a ROTJ Luke albeit without really nailing a Hamill likeness.

I'm still not sure if I am more surprised that sideshow appears to be directly challenging hot toys or that sideshow delivered a Luke figure with 3 freaking costume looks for $235 shipped!

Why is it so hard to nail his likeness? And why do both companies need to put out a ROTJ Luke? I have the HT pre ordered, so hopefully i can get the accessories second hand

I would consider this version of Luke if only i could rest assured that the end product would remotely resemble the product prototype.
I base this opinion of the prior releases of SS luke.

star-wars-luke-skywalker-sixth-scale-figure-sideshow-100190-21.jpg
star-wars-luke-skywalker-sixth-scale-figure-sideshow-100190-14.jpg
the boots are separate???

HT vision are integrated
111.jpg
35726104742_594ae9d323_b.jpg

I don’t think this looks bad. Snowspeeder Luke was brilliant in person, so I have no doubt this will look great too. That said, SSC would have been better off tackling a new Bespin Luke.

Have the HT on PO but this maneuver by Sideshow brings hope of a HT Rogue Squadron Luke. Only 2 Lukes I want besides the Trooper Disguise I already have. It’s be great to see HT suddenly jump on all the Bounty Hunters as well!!!

I didn't even notice that on the SSC version... Def sticking with my HT pre order.

That actually pulls me towards the SS version. Much better poses with the SS boots and the split look is very subtle...

This is reminding me a lot of the Rogue Squadron Luke when it went up for order. A lot or nit picking and crying....then after it actually came out...people who turned thier noses up at it were left crying on Ebay paying $$375 a piece for them. We'll see if history repeats itself.

Have the HT on PO but this maneuver by Sideshow brings hope of a HT Rogue Squadron Luke. Only 2 Lukes I want besides the Trooper Disguise I already have. It’s be great to see HT suddenly jump on all the Bounty Hunters as well!!!

Why would HT now decide do Rogue Luke and the bounty hunters because of this? Sideshow hasn't just teased/announced them - they've either shipped months ago (Rogue Luke, Bossk V.2, IG-88 V.2 and 4-LOM) or are shipping in the next few weeks (Zuckuss and Dengar.)

There seems to be an inference that HT will try to "pay back" SSC for doing this, but you'd think there'd be more profitable ways of doing that than redoing figures SSC has just squeezed dry. As much as I'd LOVE to see HT do figs like Bossk and IG-88 (as companions to the new, though not exactly exciting, HT ESB Fett) I just can't see HT doing them, especially with yet another SW movie coming mid year.

I haven't believed this "co-ordinated releases between HT and SSC" idea from the start, but you'd think both companies would just see profit opportunities and go for them, not try to destroy each other. SSC likely saw the massive demand for Jedi Luke variants and figured there was enough $$ to go around.

But you really have to wonder who's at the wheel at SSC - here they have a golden opportunity to deliver on figs like Ackbar, Greedo, various Rebel pilots or soldiers (figs HT likely won't touch unless they pop up in a new movie, like Greedo in Solo) while HT does the heroes, but they try to do a hero yet again, when they just can't seem to quite deliver HT-quality human sculpt/paint no matter how hard they try.

That actually pulls me towards the SS version. Much better poses with the SS boots and the split look is very subtle...

Yeah, when it comes to the slim/tall black leather SW boots I'd go for sculpted over soft pleather any day - for both realism and to prevent cracking/degradation. That being said, it's hard to see in the pics how the two part boots look in more extreme poses (Luke Jedi is one of those figs where people WILL want those extreme poses.)

I don’t think this looks bad. Snowspeeder Luke was brilliant in person, so I have no doubt this will look great too. That said, SSC would have been better off tackling a new Bespin Luke.

I'd give anything for a new Luke Bespin. The original SS needs an update bad and I can't stand the Hot Toys version.

I thought the SSC version was JAKE Skywalker...

And that’s how the are able to market it in competition the HT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a real good point.

Back