1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

If Hot Toys ROTJ Luke didn't exist,then this would be bought..

I’m out of it for a little while and Sideshow gets delusions of grandeur!

Both of these figures over all look good. I must say that I am tempted by sideshows offerings by what they show in these pictures. Unfortunately the reality is you seldom get what you see in those pictures.

1. The body is always inferior to HT. I think we could all agree on that. The awkward articulation and loose joints always bring any figure down. Not to mention inaccuracies in height and inconsistent with its own character.

2. The paint apps for human faces is always inferior. Left for individual interpretation. But compared to HT it always seems like a kindergarten class project compared to DiVinci.

3. Screen inaccuracies in clothing. Though I think SSC has fantastic people doing the cut and sew on them, it’s the little things that bug me. The top stitch on the hood is not accurate.

But it was nice they put the little curve on the left side of the cloak below the clasp. Score 1 for SS.

The vest isn’t great either. I know some here prefer the wider prequel looking tabards for Luke like the first SS release but it is horribly inaccurate. It was a vest and not wide at all. Almost went to his shoulders if it got opened more in action scenes.

As you can see the HT is still too wide but better than SS. They both need to rethink the length of the tabard in the front at least. Medicom at least got that part right if only the length was better.

4. Sculpt. This is subjective I think. You can have 100 people have 100 different opinions on the accuracy of a sculpt. In my opinion both are good in their own way. They both capture the “essence” of Jedi Luke but SS always seems more of a “caricature” design and HT seems more “idealized”. Then I have to think about what will I be happy with on my shelf and what would I be less regretful in purchasing? If I had endless space and endless money I’d get both but I have to be a bit more choosy about what I want on my shelf and it is HT.

Hot Toys scores for making the best black, Sideshow is 0 for 2 on the color, but at least grey is better than blue.

It sounds like I wasn't the only one who had to do a double take when they saw this figure pop up in a SS email yesterday!

My greatest hope is that direct competition like this between SS and HT pushes quality up and prices down, while my greatest fear is that only one of the companies will survive it...

I'll PO this. If the sculpt doesn't look good in hand, I guess I'll use my Bespin Luke head.

4. Sculpt. This is subjective I think. You can have 100 people have 100 different opinions on the accuracy of a sculpt. In my opinion both are good in their own way. They both capture the “essence” of Jedi Luke but SS always seems more of a “caricature” design and HT seems more “idealized”. Then I have to think about what will I be happy with on my shelf and what would I be less regretful in purchasing? If I had endless space and endless money I’d get both but I have to be a bit more choosy about what I want on my shelf and it is HT.

This sums it up IMO.

HT's sculpt has a decent likeness, but it is idealized. The sculpt looks more "handsome" than Mark Hamill did in ROTJ. The sculpt looks more symmetrical and heroic.

SS got the "ugliness" down, all the bumps, sags, and general asymmetry. However, likeness is not really there either, the sculpt is a bit more "comical", and the general shape of the face looks inaccurate.

HT beats SS in realism by far though, and you can expect the actual production to look very close to, or sometimes even better than, the prototype. With SS, has there ever been a case where the in-hand figure was superior to the prototype? Best case, it matches the prototype, but likely it will take a hit, especially in paint apps.

I'm still not 100% on buying a Jedi Luke, but if I do, it's HT hands down.

HT could do wonders to fixing alot of what bothers me with this sculpt by just doin what SS did....

Make the hairline jagged .....along the forehead. But they wont. I was joking about HT taking this as competition...

They are way to arrogant. We all know HT wont change a thing on this figure, and we will get what we see....with a slightly softer sculpt and lesser paint app......which may or may not help the sculpt.

Personally , I see thing about each that I like......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think Sideshow got the length of Hamil's nose more accurate. All Sideshow really needs to do here is ace the paint apps to truly compete with HT on Jedi Luke. If Sideshow made the paint as good as HT has on theirs, I'd pick up the Sideshow version over HT. A feat that SSC will most likely not accomplish.

Yeah the sculpt is off to begin with. And considering SS track record of great proto photos and disappointing final product I'll stay away from this.

Anybody want to already sell me their Endor Gear and that force hand??[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still keeping my HT order.

Anybody want to already sell me their Endor Gear and that force hand??[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyanxiety is going to be selling these like hot cakes to go with that HT Luke Jedi figure!

Back