1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Worst scenario would be Obiwan ROTS released by SS next..urggg :slap..they already did the Padawan Ep1 and Ep2 Obi

I missed the HT figure the first time around. So I threw a preorder out there. I dig it.

What is this sorcery?

Hot Toys, please release that Snowtrooper Commander and a Snowspeeder Luke asap.

There's nothing in that SSC figure that would make me switch out my PO from the HT version. As others have commented it really looks like they've gone with an old school 'complete package' figure and not worried too much about the likeness. But that makes it look like they're not bothered about it just looking like a toy to me.

The Endor helmeted head looks like the best part of the whole thing but the HT poncho and belt look far superior, at least to my eyes. Not sure how much of that sculpt is taken from the Luke Snowspeeder figure but the visor and chin strap on the Speeder Pilot figure helps to frame the better parts of that sculpt.

Surely this means the HT Snowie Commander is back on the table?

What is this sorcery?

Hot Toys, please release that Snowtrooper Commander and a Snowspeeder Luke asap.

On a side note, I'm assuming that was your post with the Sevilla badge that GOT tweeted about earlier this week? It even got a like from one of my staunchest Red mates. And I only just noticed that's Martinez in your avatar!!

There's nothing in that SSC figure that would make me switch out my PO from the HT version. As others have commented it really looks like they've gone with an old school 'complete package' figure and not worried too much about the likeness. But that makes it look like they're not bothered about it just looking like a toy to me.

The Endor helmeted head looks like the best part of the whole thing but the HT poncho and belt look far superior, at least to my eyes. Not sure how much of that sculpt is taken from the Luke Snowspeeder figure but the visor and chin strap on the Speeder Pilot figure helps to frame the better parts of that sculpt.

Surely this means the HT Snowie Commander is back on the table?

On a side note, I'm assuming that was your post with the Sevilla badge that GOT tweeted about earlier this week? It even got a like from one of my staunchest Red mates. And I only just noticed that's Martinez in your avatar!!

Yes it was my Sevilla badge creation lol :)

Small world the internet. I can only laugh when it comes to football this season due to how utterly rubbish we are.
That combined with TLJ has been a proper gut punch recently!

Competing directly might do some good for both price and quality... we’ll see.

The head sculpt still has that dead eye dolly look IMO. I’m liking the accessories though. Kudos to SS for that. Maybe this will prompt HT to throw in the Endor extras with their Luke Jedi release? That would be great, but can’t see it myself.

The head sculpt still has that dead eye dolly look IMO. I’m liking the accessories though. Kudos to SS for that. Maybe this will prompt HT to throw in the Endor extras with their Luke Jedi release? That would be great, but can’t see it myself.

Doubt it. If I were HT I wouldn't be afraid of losing sales to this thing.

The more I look at that dark grey tunic the more it looks like the world’s dullest tartan. I’m just not seeing Mark Hamill in that sculpt at all either.

Something about this figure just makes me keep thinking it looks like a more realistic looking upgrade to this.

RAHluke7628.JPG

Looks cheap as hell. I bet they forgot to release it in 2005 and now found it behind all that TFA stuff sitting in the dust. "Hey, let's try to sell this junk to those idiots who are waiting for ROTJ Luke like forever by now, haha".

7dd8b3f6053bbfaad54b69a634543d9e.jpg

HT could do wonders to fixing alot of what bothers me with this sculpt by just doin what SS did....

Make the hairline jagged .....along the forehead. But they wont. I was joking about HT taking this as competition...

They are way to arrogant. We all know HT wont change a thing on this figure, and we will get what we see....with a slightly softer sculpt and lesser paint app......which may or may not help the sculpt.

Personally , I see thing about each that I like......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something about this figure just makes me keep thinking it looks like a more realistic looking upgrade to this.

RAHluke7628.JPG

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. But I'd call it a MAJORLY more realistic looking upgrade.

The release really looks quite nice but the problem is I have been burned by SSC so many times in terms of the headsculpt, especially on figs that looked "decent" (but "something a bit off") in the proto like this one. I have gotten to a point where I simply don't trust them to deliver the goods for a $235 level headsculpt. Their apps are way better than they were, but they are still too flat and not subtle enough.

Really feel like waiting for in-hand on this one - just too many variables and things that could go wrong based on my experience with SSC.

HT could do wonders to fixing alot of what bothers me with this sculpt by just doin what SS did....

Make the hairline jagged .....along the forehead. But they wont. I was joking about HT taking this as competition...

They are way to arrogant. We all know HT wont change a thing on this figure, and we will get what we see....with a slightly softer sculpt and lesser paint app......which may or may not help the sculpt.

Personally , I see thing about each that I like......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, this is the reason I'm keeping my HT order for now, because Hot Toys makes tweaks between prototype and production on a fairly regular basis, and in some cases, they're not subtle but fairly big changes. I have no doubt that the sculpt will be improved. How much, though, is what I'm worried about. I'm 100% with you on the hair.

In quick panic, I incorrectly assumed that the figure was a HT deluxe version and I sent an angry email demanding they switch me to this new deluxe version without the NRD penalty LOL... Once I realized my tremendous mistake, I had to send them another email eating crow and respectfully requesting that they ignore my previous email... LOL the things I learn from Star Wars....

IMO those side by side pictures make it a no brainer.... Someone should send those side by side pics to Sideshow, I don't think they realize what they are competing with LOL

In quick panic, I incorrectly assumed that the figure was a HT deluxe version and I sent an angry email demanding they switch me to this new deluxe version without the NRD penalty LOL... Once I realized my tremendous mistake, I had to send them another email eating crow and respectfully requesting that they ignore my previous email... LOL the things I learn from Star Wars....

IMO those side by side pictures make it a no brainer.... Someone should send those side by side pics to Sideshow, I don't think they realize what they are competing with LOL

I'm keeping my HT order, but I do like some of what the SSC figure provides, over and above the Endor outfit. I think the HT sculpt is too soft or young looking for Jedi Luke and the SSC version is a little harder but maybe a little too old. If I hadn't cut way back on my 1/6 collecting, I'd probably get both...

To me, looking at SSC headsculpt it looks more like a characterization of Luke versus Hot Toys who goes for realism. Sideshows is an artists rendition of our hero. Reminds me of Battlefront Luke or Luke from the comics. By no means is this figure "garbage" as many people in here are saying. The headsculpt can still be fanatastic without looking EXACTLY like Mark Hamill. Sideshow tends to go that route a lot.

SSC Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

I’m out of it for a little while and Sideshow gets delusions of grandeur!

Both of these figures over all look good. I must say that I am tempted by sideshows offerings by what they show in these pictures. Unfortunately the reality is you seldom get what you see in those pictures.

1. The body is always inferior to HT. I think we could all agree on that. The awkward articulation and loose joints always bring any figure down. Not to mention inaccuracies in height and inconsistent with its own character.

2. The paint apps for human faces is always inferior. Left for individual interpretation. But compared to HT it always seems like a kindergarten class project compared to DiVinci.

3. Screen inaccuracies in clothing. Though I think SSC has fantastic people doing the cut and sew on them, it’s the little things that bug me. The top stitch on the hood is not accurate.

e0acb5cd88a09d3cc7b08bb719f47dcd.jpg

1ba3f0d0f9112e8a462a572732a30abb.jpg

But it was nice they put the little curve on the left side of the cloak below the clasp. Score 1 for SS.
e55c3e5658342d83958fabe6b9a53d2a.jpg

The vest isn’t great either. I know some here prefer the wider prequel looking tabards for Luke like the first SS release but it is horribly inaccurate. It was a vest and not wide at all. Almost went to his shoulders if it got opened more in action scenes.
49ba01a9b752a82a96109c2a4c2776f3.jpg

b8692f15adeeaacc44b452d209ef2aa6.jpg

5abca63f7ca37af508a43b6179848ce4.jpg

ad09ad8cceb83f328515432db1c5eecd.jpg

As you can see the HT is still too wide but better than SS. They both need to rethink the length of the tabard in the front at least. Medicom at least got that part right if only the length was better.
69ab4dc456af98b5ff621926b1ad063c.jpg

4. Sculpt. This is subjective I think. You can have 100 people have 100 different opinions on the accuracy of a sculpt. In my opinion both are good in their own way. They both capture the “essence” of Jedi Luke but SS always seems more of a “caricature” design and HT seems more “idealized”. Then I have to think about what will I be happy with on my shelf and what would I be less regretful in purchasing? If I had endless space and endless money I’d get both but I have to be a bit more choosy about what I want on my shelf and it is HT.

Back