1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is no where as good as HT. The HT version is incredible in person.....this looks like a cartoon.

The HT one really tough one to shoot...

Maybe this will be similar, but most of SSC offering fall off majestically at production.

cd7ffcc983a502ee1ac8610d1946b4ec.jpg

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

The tailoring on the Hot Toys release is just awful. Hopefully the Sideshow one is better as seen in pics.

I was just looking at a few of my most-current Sideshow heads (including the latest Luke from them, Snowspeeder Luke's non-helmet head) and it really makes you concerned for this release in terms of the head.

I guess it'll be okay with the Endor helmet pulled a bit lower to cover the face a bit, but Sideshow just doesn't have the ability to deliver a human head that is worthy of a "centerpiece" type display - like this figure displayed as Death Star duel, where the head is clearly visible.

Very sad that Sideshow never went to the effort to catch up to the likes of HT in terms of heads because pretty much everything else (even bodies these days) is on-par with HT.

Maybe this release is best viewed as an outfit/accessory set for use with the HT head.

I was just looking at a few of my most-current Sideshow heads (including the latest Luke from them, Snowspeeder Luke's non-helmet head) and it really makes you concerned for this release in terms of the head.

I guess it'll be okay with the Endor helmet pulled a bit lower to cover the face a bit, but Sideshow just doesn't have the ability to deliver a human head that is worthy of a "centerpiece" type display - like this figure displayed as Death Star duel, where the head is clearly visible.

Very sad that Sideshow never went to the effort to catch up to the likes of HT in terms of heads because pretty much everything else (even bodies these days) is on-par with HT.

Maybe this release is best viewed as an outfit/accessory set for use with the HT head.

I'm super conflicted. The Hot Toys figure is about 70-80% there for me, but the tailored death star costume is just bad. It really is. The Sideshow proto suit looks way better.

I'm super conflicted. The Hot Toys figure is about 70-80% there for me, but the tailored death star costume is just bad. It really is. The Sideshow proto suit looks way better.

I dunno - maybe I got a good one (it seems that way when I posted pics a few months ago when I got it) It's not 100% but its definitely nothing close to "just bad."

And yeah, as TT points out, not sure you'll get to see the final figure pics until it's in a box on the way to you.

I really hope TA gets a lot of these so the parts are freely available. Other than the head and the boots, this should be a really nice set to get parts from.

Seeing the difference between proto and production on the Obi-Wan Mythos head makes me wonder how much worse this one can possibly get. The head already looks pretty bad. If the clothes end up being better, I'm sure most people will just buy them loose. Would it be totally unethical of SS to just start making "clothing sets" for HT figures lol. Would probably save them money, honestly.

I'm not sure what some of you see with the SSC luke but it looks better than the HT imo... I haven't seen the HT yet in person but to me this looks more like luke in rotj. I do agree though, SSC has issues with promo vs production. I really want to get both but damn its a tough call. I wish a dang PF Luke or IS luke would be announced with a rotj vader!!!! That would end my "what am I going to get" thoughts.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but what I'm seeing in the SSC Luke is an awful headsculpt that looks nothing like Mark Hamill. I had this on pre-order and wanted so badly to talk myself into believing this was a good likeness, especially since it came with Endor Luke. But try as I might, I couldn't do it, and eventually ate the pre-order cost and cancelled it. Figured in the end losing a $25 deposit was better than losing $260 on a figure I truly wasn't happy with. Look at the Endor headsculpt. I can see all sorts of people in that head, but I'm decently sure if you took the head, and showed in to 10 pop culture/star wars/general movie fans with no background on who that was supposed to be, 9 out of 10 (minimum) aren't going to guess it's Mark Hamill. It's just a mess of either a "Luke-like" figure, or just a generic blond Jedi in Luke clothes.

I guess I don't worry too much in the clothing either. I don't see what makes the HT outfit so awful? The figure is a little bulkier than Mark Hamill at the time, I can concede that, but I guess for me, I don't need an exact 1:1 outfit match to enjoy the figure. I'd much rather have them get the headsculpt right, and to me HT did a much better job.

I see some Chris Pine in the headsculpt, but whether you see Hamill or not, the apps, level of sculpt detail and overall finish is the issue with Sideshow's human heads.

In addition to those issues, there is also unexpected drops in quality control, which can create outcomes including weird distortions (Uncharted figure, bulging glassy eyes on Luke and Han Hoth) and under or over sizing. The cast skintone on Luke and Han Hoth - which almost seems a darker brown-purple - was another weird one. Some are hard to describe other than just "weird looking" - like Big Trouble Jack Burton. Some are fine enough but just have an odd Hasbro/TRU toy aisles mass-market fig look, like Escape from NY Snake and perhaps the new Mythos Ben.

Temple of Doom Indy is an example of a really quite decent Sideshow human head that ticked most of the boxes they normally miss (paint decent if a bit dark, sculpt level decent) but then came out about 10-15% underscale compared to HT heads. It did also have the production molding error where the hairpiece didn't seat properly on the head, creating a very visible ugly seam right above the forehead.

Sideshow's production quality is like a box of chocolates...

The best production Sideshow sculpt I have ever seen is Ash Williams. It is a bit of an idealized heroic sculpt but is still very good.

I think it remains the only human Sideshow sculpt I have displayed that doesn't have some sort of headwear. The Endor version of this and the Skiff Lando might continue the trend if they turn out well:lol

$235 and free shipping for all of these outfit options is a good deal imo. Just swap the headsculpt if it turns out being ****** and we'll have a great Luke Skywalker figure.

The best production Sideshow sculpt I have ever seen is Ash Williams. It is a bit of an idealized heroic sculpt but is still very good.

I think it remains the only human Sideshow sculpt I have displayed that doesn't have some sort of headwear. The Endor version of this and the Skiff Lando might continue the trend if they turn out well:lol

The Maul sculpt and paint is stellar. If you can call it ‘human’...

There will always be people who compare SSC to HT....

But I dont know of any SSC figure that trumps a HT figure in any aspect....

SSC's Jack Burton turned out fine, with minimal drop in quality from the prototype. I'm still keeping an open mind on this Luke...

and that is why I am so against these NRD's since what they put up may not be what they ship. It's like false advertising yet they slap a disclaimer saying "may not be final product".

and that is why I am so against these NRD's since what they put up may not be what they ship. It's like false advertising yet they slap a disclaimer saying "may not be final product".
Check out Threezero's Daenerys. That was paid in full up front if ordered through them. Talk about changes from prototype.

HS looks like constipated Matt Damn mixed with Michael Shannon

I'm gonna give it to you...you are spot on with the description, I especially see Matt Damon in the Endor Helmet Luke sculpt. I just can't for the life of me figure who or what they were going for, but Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker wasn't it.

There will always be people who compare SSC to HT....

But I dont know of any SSC figure that trumps a HT figure in any aspect....

AT-AT driver and TIE Pilot from SS are great figures, espcially Tie Pilot quality even surpass Hot Toys's First Order Tie Pilot in my opinion.

Back