SSC - Marvel - 1:6 scale Wolverine figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolverine is one of the most popular Marvel characters. If popularity factors into pricing then he should be cheaper than Punisher, but he's not so I call ********. Superman came with 3 head sculpts, two capes, extra hands, and a fancy stand (though no fancy new extra elbows) and was $50 less. Regardless of whatever pricing rationale people that are supposedly "in the know" make up, SSC's prices for these Marvel comic version figures are too high.

I think the logic is the other way. If it is one of the most popular figures, charge higher because more people want it. Its the less popular figures that need to be lower to attract more buyers.

No kidding. I'd have no problem paying $180 shipped for this.

They are pretty much guaranteed to have this sitting around for a long while. I'll be patient and get it for a nice discount.

Yeah, I'll get it at discount. I'm a big Wolvie fan, but definitely not paying full price for this.

Your kinda mixing things up. You asked if it was ssc or Disney who affected prices and then talked about three DC characters. None of which are owned by Disney. So, obviously Disney had nothing to do with it.

As for how superman and/or batman (ssc version) could come with more and cost less...it's not complicated. Both superman and batman are significantly more popular, and that means more sales, which equals a higher production run. Which means the price per figure is lower. (The whole process of figuring prices is a bit more complicated and factors a lot more in, but this shows how it can happen)

Not mixing things up... it was really just train of thought. I mentioned the fact that Disney doesn't own the DC characters, so it's probably just SSC pricing. And although I agree that both Supes and Bats are more popular, I don't think it has anything to do with why they come with more and are priced less.

Wolverine is one of the most popular Marvel characters. If popularity factors into pricing then he should be cheaper than Punisher, but he's not so I call ********. Superman came with 3 head sculpts, two capes, extra hands, and a fancy stand (though no fancy new extra elbows) and was $50 less. Regardless of whatever pricing rationale people that are supposedly "in the know" make up, SSC's prices for these Marvel comic version figures are too high.

You can call BS all you want. Doesn't make it so. First, wolverines popular..and used to be probably number two. Behind spiderman, who has been the most merchandise marve figure for a very long time. But wolverine has never, I repeat, NEVER approached the popularity of superman and batman. Both of whom transcend comic culture and are firmly pop culture, for 40 years before wolverine was created.

BUT....what I did was in regards to sales. Not whom is liked. Merchandise wise. Wolverine has been a very slow seller, always, for merchandise. And as I stated, that translated to production runs. Meaning...and this is simple math...they make more superman which means each unit (it's simple division) costs less. Here's an example...not the numbers for sure from ssc, but just for demonstration...

If it cost 1,500,000 dollars to make superman and they made say 15,000....the cost per unit is..100 dollars. Again, this is just for illustration as you didn't seem to understand the math behind it. Anyway...so them wolverine cost less at say 1,200,000 dollars(300,000 less) but hey made less...so let's say 7,500 units. Cost less to make. But the cost per unit is a lot more at 160 dollars. (And yes, just FYI, it can cost over a million dollars to develop and manufacture a 1/6 figure) anyway....this is off the top my head math so I think it's right but not 100% sure. The idea is correct though. Just becuase it cost more to produce say superman becuase he has 3 heads or whatever other exapmle you want to come up with, doesn not mean he is more to produce per unit. I've said on this site for years that the logistics behind these "toys" are extremely complicated and it's not straight forward not easy.

And FYI, I prefer wolverine to both superman and batman(and everyone else for that matter). My statement on his popularity and selling power has nothing to do with how "I" feel about the characters involved and is about that way it actually is. Forbes publishes a list of characters gross merchandising every few years. Or value. Feel free to check. Best I can recall spiderman is (out of all licensed goods) 14th and batman is 16th. Superman in the upper 20s. Xmen in the 50s. In the comic only lost its spiderman, batman, avengers, superman, and then I think xmen. But they may be further down the list. Media content plays a part. When there's no film the numbers are significantly lower. Like in 2014 spiderman was around 300 million in total merch(mid teens on the total list, and here's the funny part...begins Dora and Disney princess which are 1, and Thomas the train and lots of others(wwe)) but in the year spiderman films with Toby McGuire the merch sales topped a billion.

Like I said, complex. I'm sure I'm the only fool here that goes to the licensing trade show. Think comic con for file cabinets. Lol yep, it's a real thing. The annual Licensing show. So much fun. Well, not really.

Last edited:
Not mixing things up... it was really just train of thought. I mentioned the fact that Disney doesn't own the DC characters, so it's probably just SSC pricing. And although I agree that both Supes and Bats are more popular, I don't think it has anything to do with why they come with more and are priced less.

It's not just popularity. It's production run. And those are set by perceived and calculated sales in advance. Since both superman and batman sell more as a brand, and on average they get higher production runs. Which means, like I explained in my last post, that the price to make each figure...even if it costs more total, is less. So yes, it absolutely makes a difference.

You can call BS all you want. Doesn't make it so. First, wolverines popular..and used to be probably number two. Behind spiderman, who has been the most merchandise marve figure for a very long time. But wolverine has never, I repeat, NEVER approached the popularity of superman and batman. Both of whom transcend comic culture and are firmly pop culture, for 40 years before wolverine was created.

BUT....what I did was in regards to sales. Not whom is liked. Merchandise wise. Wolverine has been a very slow seller, always, for merchandise. And as I stated, that translated to production runs. Meaning...and this is simple math...they make more superman which means each unit (it's simple division) costs less. Here's an example...not the numbers for sure from ssc, but just for demonstration...

If it cost 1,500,000 dollars to make superman and they made say 15,000....the cost per unit is..100 dollars. Again, this is just for illustration as you didn't seem to understand the math behind it. Anyway...so them wolverine cost less at say 1,200,000 dollars(300,000 less) but hey made less...so let's say 7,500 units. Cost less to make. But the cost per unit is a lot more at 160 dollars. (And yes, just FYI, it can cost over a million dollars to develop and manufacture a 1/6 figure) anyway....this is off the top my head math so I think it's right but not 100% sure. The idea is correct though. Just becuase it cost more to produce say superman becuase he has 3 heads or whatever other exapmle you want to come up with, doesn not mean he is more to produce per unit. I've said on this site for years that the logistics behind these "toys" are extremely complicated and it's not straight forward not easy.

And FYI, I prefer wolverine to both superman and batman(and everyone else for that matter). My statement on his popularity and selling power has nothing to do with how "I" feel about the characters involved and is about that way it actually is. Forbes publishes a list of characters gross merchandising every few years. Or value. Feel free to check. Best I can recall spiderman is (out of all licensed goods) 14th and batman is 16th. Superman in the upper 20s. Xmen in the 50s. In the comic only lost its spiderman, batman, avengers, superman, and then I think xmen. But they may be further down the list. Media content plays a part. When there's no film the numbers are significantly lower. Like in 2014 spiderman was around 300 million in total merch(mid teens on the total list, and here's the funny part...begins Dora and Disney princess which are 1, and Thomas the train and lots of others(wwe)) but in the year spiderman films with Toby McGuire the merch sales topped a billion.

Like I said, complex. I'm sure I'm the only fool here that goes to the licensing trade show. Think comic con for file cabinets. Lol yep, it's a real thing. The annual Licensing show. So much fun. Well, not really.

It's not just popularity. It's production run. And those are set by perceived and calculated sales in advance. Since both superman and batman sell more as a brand, and on average they get higher production runs. Which means, like I explained in my last post, that the price to make each figure...even if it costs more total, is less. So yes, it absolutely makes a difference.

SPoy0UT.gif

No worries. Generally when people are wrong they take to snarky comments and gifs.

Interesting. I find that when someone is full of it they write long diatribes filled with unsupported statistics in a desperate attempt to convince others that they are right. You don't have anything to do with Sideshow's decision-making process for pricing these figures. Making up situations with randomly chosen numbers doesn't prove anything. Donkeys can't walk backwards. See? I can make up stuff too.

I really like that someone is taking a stab at making a 1/6 scale comic style Wolverine figure but...I am not digging the $250 price tag. I would pre order it without hesitation if it was $50 or even $25 less. At this time, I am working on justifying using $250 on this as opposed to something else.

On to positive notes.

I really like the design of this costume, though I hope the finalized production model has a more tightly fitted look. The fix posed arm options are a great alternative to using seamless body parts. I love the look of the gloves/gauntlets and the boots (especially the metal toes).

While I prefer the movie version of Wolverine's claws because of their positioning (coming out between the knuckles), I grew up reading the comic Wolverine so the claws coming out of the top of the knuckles/back of the hands hits the nostalgia button for me.

I do like the masked and unmasked head sculpts. Certainly, they could be improved(particularly the proportions) and they probably will be but I like the not quite realistic look they have.

You don't have anything to do with Sideshow's decision-making process for pricing these figures..

So you do? :dunno

I'm not the one trying to justify the high price of this figure, but thanks for chiming in with another of your always riveting posts. No Latin this time?

No, you're the one asserting with the same certainty (replete with irrelevant supporting detail) that the price is too high.

So...manducare stercore, sugah pie.

No, you're the one asserting with the same certainty (replete with irrelevant supporting detail) that the price is too high.

So...manducare stercore, sugah pie.

The price for this figure is the highest in the Marvel and DC lines from SSC with the least amount of accessories so yes, I think it's too high. If you've read through the thread then you know I'm not the only one that thinks so--though I'm the only one you feel the need to address. I'm disappointed because these figures shouldn't be $250, and I gave my reasons for why I think that. I'm not making up information to rationalize the high price. Is it your argument that the price is justified? Why? Do you think that the popularity argument with regard to price is valid? In the SSC Marvel line, Punisher is cheaper than Wolverine. So is Punisher a more popular character than Wolverine? Maybe you do agree with all that nonsense, or maybe you're just here to troll since we don't like each other. Regardless of your answers to any of those questions, this conversation between us should be finished before you start in with your usual name-calling with something not as affectionate as sugah pie--though I am glad you took the time to look up some more Latin for me. Gotta keep up your pseudo-intellectual internet persona.

Feel free to direct any of your answers to my questions to the members in this thread as a whole. I'm sure they're all dying to read them.

IMHO, the price on this line is far too high.

The thing is given the price of all 1:6 going up and what Marvel/Disney could be charging in licensing, I'm not that surprised. I mean look at the SSC SW 1:6 lately, they're all being met with "WTH?" attitudes in regards to price and what comes with it. The thing is these (DC and Marvel) are the ONLY Comic versions being sold in this size that are officially licensed. It's a situation where we've got no other choice.

What the price means is that there is no way I'd personally be in for multiple figures or the entire lines as I probably would have been at prices a couple of years ago. I hate to see the prices when they eventually (if they eventually) get to Spider-Man or Iron Man. The prices are going to be cringeworthy.

Same here. Would have bought Deadpool and Punisher. I'm only getting Wolverine at this point. Maybe Cap.

Feel free to direct any of your answers to my questions to the members in this thread as a whole. I'm sure they're all dying to read them.

No, you were the only one being a **** toward someone offering a contrary perspective. Eat up.

IMHO, the price on this line is far too high.

The thing is given the price of all 1:6 going up and what Marvel/Disney could be charging in licensing, I'm not that surprised. I mean look at the SSC SW 1:6 lately, they're all being met with "WTH?" attitudes in regards to price and what comes with it. The thing is these (DC and Marvel) are the ONLY Comic versions being sold in this size that are officially licensed. It's a situation where we've got no other choice.

What the price means is that there is no way I'd personally be in for multiple figures or the entire lines as I probably would have been at prices a couple of years ago. I hate to see the prices when they eventually (if they eventually) get to Spider-Man or Iron Man. The prices are going to be cringeworthy.

I agree. When the DC line prices were $200 or less I bought them all and was happy with what was in the box. I had hoped the Marvel line would be the same, but none of them have been $200 and the price has gone up with each figure.

No, you were the only one being a **** toward someone offering a contrary opinion. Eat up.

So you're not here to discuss the figure? You just wanted to come to Motuxmen's defense? How white knight of you, but I'd be more interested in what you had to say if you furthered the conversation by answering any of my questions instead of calling me a ****.

Back