SSC - Marvel - 1:6 scale Wolverine figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. Would have bought Deadpool and Punisher. I'm only getting Wolverine at this point. Maybe Cap.

Yeah, I like DP and Punisher but with the price of this line, they are passes. Wolverine I really like and I'll probably get Spider-Man, Iron Man maybe Thor depending on the version.

I'm hoping that they do variants sooner than later because I want a Peter Spider-Man and a Miles Morales Spider-Man but I don't want to pay nearly $300 for them.

I agree. When the DC line prices were $200 or less I bought them all and was happy with what was in the box. I had hoped the Marvel line would be the same, but none of them have been $200 and the price has gone up with each figure.

I have a feeling that IF the line continues, and that's a big IF since we've got Wolvie now and nothing past him announced really despite the teaser video that something complex like Iron Man will cost nearly $300 and if they get to something as big as The Hulk it might cost even more which effectively might kill the line even if the lack of interest doesn't.

I was expecting Iron Man to be the first SSC Marvel figure to hit the $250 mark since the suit will be complex. If Wolverine and his extra elbows is $250 then Iron Man will be at least $300--if the line makes it that far.

I bet when SSC makes an Iron Man, that they'll have the balls to charge HT's IM price or close to it.

They're already charging non-Diecast Iron Man prices for Wolverine here. I'd be willing to bet a SSC Iron Man would be more than the HT figures.

When you consider that last year Snake Plissken, a far more niche figure presumably with a smaller production run, sold for a full $100 less despite involving a licensed actor likeness and more accessories, there's no real way to justify the asking price of Wolverine other than 'SSC saw HT charge this much for a figure and get away with it' - which HT can get away with, because they've got a pretty solid track record. SSC on the other hand, don't. After Nathan Drake, Snake Plissken, Batman, Superman, etc it's hard to believe that their final product will match the quality of the prototype. It's a huge gamble to take for $250.

They're already charging non-Diecast Iron Man prices for Wolverine here. I'd be willing to bet a SSC Iron Man would be more than the HT figures.

When you consider that last year Snake Plissken, a far more niche figure presumably with a smaller production run, sold for a full $100 less despite involving a licensed actor likeness and more accessories, there's no real way to justify the asking price of Wolverine other than 'SSC saw HT charge this much for a figure and get away with it' - which HT can get away with, because they've got a pretty solid track record. SSC on the other hand, don't. After Nathan Drake, Snake Plissken, Batman, Superman, etc it's hard to believe that their final product will match the quality of the prototype. It's a huge gamble to take for $250.

They seem to be complacent with putting out just "OK" figures, but for HT prices. But, at least some of the older figures were at least reasonably priced. Plissken I think, was still too high considering how cheap it was since all it's accessories and paint were pretty cheaply done.

I can see why this one could be $250 - seperate arms is not a cheap option. BUT...

1. Even prototype suit is very cheap looking and loose (what's the point in making unique body if suit doesn't fit?)
2. Unmasked sculpt instead of interchangeable face plates
3. The only accessory is an exclusive

Sideshow just fail to understand what's essential and what's not.
Also, whoever is responsible for the final approval of their "artistic interpretation" designs has no taste whatsoever.

I have pre-ordered this figure when it was first release as he is one of my favourite character during the 80's. Reading through the post here it has its up and downs (its price is on a high side), total cost will be around 300+ USD shipped here to England but the custom will definitely get the best of me as does all my Sideshow collections from the GI Joe line and lately Deadpool. I have no other means of lowering down its price so I have to just accept it.

As far as my own critique, The more I look into the sculpts the more I don't like it (its just my own opinion) especially the mouth area. There seems to be a "funny" look to the teeth that I feel is not right for me. The "grin" is too "straining" even for Wolverine and the canine teeth is exaggerated. I seldom complain and just do what I can to correct it but at this price it should be "right".

Anyway before this figure finds it way to my collection, I have done my own version of the head sculpt that is to my liking. I will then cast this to fit to my Wolverine. This is just sharing to you guys my WIP and also my frustrations on the figure. This is still a work-in-progress and not done yet so be gentle to me.......

I will post the progress and once happy will do the cast and painting. Expert opinion on this will be much appreciated. I will start a thread on here or the customs forum.

Cheers guys!

So you're not here to discuss the figure? You just wanted to come to Motuxmen's defense? How white knight of you, but I'd be more interested in what you had to say if you furthered the conversation by answering any of my questions instead of calling me a ****.

I furthered the conversation of the board as a whole by illuminating the fact that people without knowledge of Sideshow's bookkeeping are equally non-objective, whether they're claiming the price is too high, too low, or fair. Your claims are as baseless as anyone else's. At least Motuxman referenced valid economic principles, as opposed to puffing up his own opinion by reference to his prior opinions.

At best you can say it's more than you want to pay, but that's not what overpriced means.

Interesting. I find that when someone is full of it they write long diatribes filled with unsupported statistics in a desperate attempt to convince others that they are right. You don't have anything to do with Sideshow's decision-making process for pricing these figures. Making up situations with randomly chosen numbers doesn't prove anything. Donkeys can't walk backwards. See? I can make up stuff too.

And there's the other thing people do. Make it personal when logic fails.

I explained HOW the process works. Having worked for or contracted through many of the company's people tak about on his site. But you called BS (your words) becuase you equated wolverines popularity with both superman and batman. I showed, with FACT not made up BS like you used, that wolverine is not even in the same league as batman and superman. But sure, the IRS, Forbes, Wall Street journal...all places that published the info I used...that's total made up numbers. I didn't make it up. It wasn't opinion based on my own incorrect assumptions. As your post was. And I then explained exactly how that information translated to a higher production cost by using easy to follow numbers. It was the ratio that matters. Not the exact numbers.

As for your statement that I don't have any control over the prices so I don't know what I'm talking about...that's silly. That's like saying I didn't write the bill of rights so I have no idea what it contains. Weather or not I make that choices is irrelavent. It's if I have any access to or knowledge of the process behind the choices and the facts used.

And even if I did not, your argument was this "wolverine popular. Wolverine should cost less becuase he popular". Mine was a bit more comprehensive. Your response was "insert funny gif becuase I no understand". I responded to that with what I did. Which lead to the easiest to predict response of you making it personal

Calling a toy overpriced becuase it's 20,50, 100 dollars more then you want is silly. It's a toy. That cost hundreds of dollars. Unless it comes with a three month supply of food then anything over 10 bucks is over priced. How does two extra sets of hands make it better? Or 25 bucks off? 225 for a completly and utterly useless to life item is ok? There's not a single thing in this entire site that's not over priced. If you can't afford it don't buy it.

Telling someone else what to charge for their product when you clearly have zero understanding of both general economics and the specific economics this company employed is silly. It's like me calling your boss and saying you make to much money, with the same amount of info I have now about what you do and how that effects your company...just becuase I think your...whatever I think about you.

Last edited:
I furthered the conversation of the board as a whole by illuminating the fact that people without knowledge of Sideshow's bookkeeping are equally non-objective, whether they're claiming the price is too high, too low, or fair. Your claims are as baseless as anyone else's. At least Motuxman referenced valid economic principles, as opposed to puffing up his own opinion by reference to his prior opinions.

At best you can say it's more than you want to pay, but that's not what overpriced means.

You needed to "further" the conversation with a gif. Like he did. Lol funny how you make a few comments that disagree and it's a waste. He posts a gif and makes comments about donkies and its ok.

And had you said you agreed with him I bet a million dollars he wouldn't have told you to stop being a "white knight".

He didn't advance the conversation. He posted a gif. But that's WAY BETTER for advancement of the convo then disagreeing with him. Lmao

I explained HOW the process works. Having worked for or contracted through many of the company's people tak about on his site. But you called BS (your words) becuase you equated wolverines popularity with both superman and batman. I showed, with FACT not made up BS like you used, that wolverine is not even in the same league as batman and superman. But sure, the IRS, Forbes, Wall Street journal...all places that published the info I used...that's total made up numbers. I didn't make it up. It wasn't opinion based on my own incorrect assumptions. As your post was. And I then explained exactly how that information translated to a higher production cost by using easy to follow numbers. It was the ratio that matters. Not the exact numbers.

As for your statement that I don't have any control over the prices so I don't know what I'm talking about...that's silly. That's like saying I didn't write the bill of rights so I have no idea what it contains. Weather or not I make that choices is irrelavent. It's if I have any access to or knowledge of the process behind the choices and the facts used.

And even if I did not, your argument was this "wolverine popular. Wolverine should cost less becuase he popular". Mine was a bit more comprehensive. Your response was "insert funny gif becuase I no understand". I responded to that with what I did. Which lead to the easiest to predict response of you making it personal

Calling a toy overpriced becuase it's 20,50, 100 dollars more then you want is silly. It's a toy. That cost hundreds of dollars. Unless it comes with a three month supply of food then anything over 10 bucks is over priced. How does two extra sets of hands make it better? Or 25 bucks off? 225 for a completly and utterly useless to life item is ok? There's not a single thing in this entire site that's not over priced. If you can't afford it don't buy it.

Telling someone else what to charge for their product when you clearly have zero understanding of both general economics and the specific economics this company employed is silly. It's like me calling your boss and saying you make to much money, with the same amount of info I have now about what you do and how that effects your company...just becuase I think your...whatever I think about you.

Honestly it never fails to amaze me how you can type so much and yet say so little with these essays of yours.

With that wall of text in mind, please explain the following image. Some citations for the facts and figures you claim to be referring to wouldn't go amiss either, or they remain a shallow appeal to authority.

EeoBzYx.png

My argument is based on my opinion, not whether or not I can afford the figure. I'm lucky that I do very well financially and can buy what I want, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to pay some of these prices. On this particular figure, based on a comparison to their other figures in their Marvel and DC comic lines, I don't think it's worth $250. Write as many essays on economics as you want, doesn't mean the figure is worth $250 to me--and a lot of people agree with me. Understanding the economic principle doesn't make the price increase ok and you still don't know the numbers Sideshow is using. Only Sideshow can explain the reasons for the price jump and I don't expect an explanation from them. The price is what it is and isn't going to change. Doesn't mean I'm happy with it and Sideshow is losing money from me because of it. I would have bought the entire line of Marvel figures if they were priced like the DC line. Instead, I'll pick and choose and maybe buy a couple--at least with a coupon but probably when they go up for deeper discounts (you know, because they will still have stock because they priced it too high). I'm sure someone will take up some of the slack but it still doesn't change the fact that Sideshow is losing money from me. I spend thousands on collectibles a year and more and more of that money is going to other companies instead of Sideshow because of instances like this. If you only buy a couple figures a year then the price may not be a big deal to you because you're not buying much, but I imagine you'll still use a $20 coupon to knock down the prices on those couple figures. My opinion is that this is too high priced even with a $20 coupon.

We're not going to agree on this so there's no point in arguing with each other. This topic is like religion. Neither side is going to convince the other to agree with them so we'll just have to agree to disagree. You guys love Sideshow and think they can do no wrong. I love Sideshow but think they occasionally make poor decisions. You have your opinion and I have mine. I'll put you both on ignore like I should have a long time ago. Feel free to do the same.

One last gif for Motuxmen (like I'm the only person on this board that uses them), though I know he won't do it.

SdY7k07.gif

I think I agree with everyone on some level of their debate. I also fully believe that Batman & Superman are far more popular (particularly worldwide) than Wolverine, but as has been pointed out using the Plisken example, if pricing was based on size of production run based on revenue generated by certain characters, then SSC's pricing is not consistent. In my opinion, Wolverine, particularly a comic-based Wolverine, is a character that SSC thinks that people are willing to pay for, just to have in their collection. They aren't wrong either, because even though I think it's too expensive, I pre-ordered day one. But as others have said, I would have bought the whole line if the prices were more reasonable.
I don't believe that the SSC Comic Spider Man will be as good as the Amazing Spidey 2 figure from Hot Toys, and I don't believe their SSC Iron Man will be as rich in detail/engineering as the HT ones either, but I'm sure it'll be the same price. That said, I'll pretty much only buy Wolverine (and Punisher if a sale/discount/code) instead of the whole line. Oh well.
Still really hoping for a Firefly situation, and SSC changes their minds and includes the faceplates last minute....

I gotta admit this is kinda expensive, but I am going to get this one for sentimental reason.. Wolverine was my first gig in Marvel, and I love drawing this character!

I bet Sideshow's own preorder numbers will show most people think the cost is too high for this and Punisher. They'll be sitting on stock for a long time.

Back