SSC - Marvel - 1:6 scale Wolverine figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all a scheme to get FOX to give up the rights to characters Marvel licensed to them. FOX and Sony helped keep Marvel out of bankruptcy as well as kicking off interest in Marvel Movies with Spider-man and X-men.

But in the end it's no big deal. X-Men movie makes more in one day than all the X-Men related comics would in a year. Comic books sales are irrelevant today. Money is in licensing the characters.

Is sad, without the OG Spider-Man and its success we wouldn't have the MCU we so much love....

Understandable. But it's how big businesses handle things. You have something i want, i'll offer to buy it. you refuse, i'll do what i can to make it better for you if you DO sell. in all honesty, it WOULD be in fox's best interests to come to the table and try to set up a deal like Sony has.

And as far as money goes, it's not just the comics that generate revenue. nor is it movie ticket sales. it's merchandising. Toys, clothes, posters, etc. THAT'S where the money is made. and since Disney has the final stamp on it, that's what they're attacking.

IP wars, yay. :/

I wish these people would actually do a bit of actual research before they print rumor and myth and call it news. It's one thin for Joe collector to do it on a forum.

As for the article, again it's not all about the feud between the studios. For one what marvel is "speculated" to be doing has zero effect on fox. If the movies make money that's all that matters. They get no financial stake in any comic related or inspired merch anyway. And the claim that merch accounts for more profit then tickets is wrong. In off years yes, for some franchise. Like spiderman. But the xmen have never been large merch movers. The films make more in a year then the licensed goods. By a lot.

And the link to the old article about no DOFP merch is crap. That has nothing to do with marvel not allowing products. It's becuase of a move fox made. To not secure likeness rights from the actors. There was merch for the film anyway. Not a lot. But some. So if they where really going out to not make any to send a statement they wouldn't have allowed any. If there's even one thing that destroys the theory that marvel was preventing things from getting made. Look back at the first xmen film, before marvel had a studio. Very little merch. Beciase it doesn't generate the livens interest and marvel does not actually make much in house.

The four wolverine hot toys, the statues, the premium formate figures, the elcwtronic toy wolverine claws, the 8 xmen characters in the 3 and 3/4 marvel universe figure line, the 12 inch wolverine figure from hasbro the xmen set from Lego, the nerf wolverine claws all came out while there was this (except one of the hot toys figures) freeze on xmen merchandise. That's just a few things off the top of my head that I have. There's a lot more. Again, if yo say they are not allowing anything then the dozen items wouldn't exist.

Yes exactly how can hot toys produce the wolverine figures if there is a freeze . And hot toys said their hold up on x men figures was getting the OK of the actors on the likeness it as they x men movies did not secure the likeness rights so it's up to the individual actor to give his blessing and they have to negotiate with them and fox instead if just through the company.

I personally never understood the likeness approval thing so if the actor says no like what happened with the original loki from Thor the can derail the release of the figure? I thought they signed that power away when they joined the movie. I am sure the kids toys don't go through this process

Yes exactly how can hot toys produce the wolverine figures if there is a freeze . And hot toys said their hold up on x men figures was getting the OK of the actors on the likeness it as they x men movies did not secure the likeness rights so it's up to the individual actor to give his blessing and they have to negotiate with them and fox instead if just through the company.

I personally never understood the likeness approval thing so if the actor says no like what happened with the original loki from Thor the can derail the release of the figure? I thought they signed that power away when they joined the movie. I am sure the kids toys don't go through this process
m

Some kids toys do. But it's not just the actors that have approval power. Every licensed product has to be approved by marvel. Every one. Certain actors on marvel movies have additional control they sign up for in the negotiations...but generally only approve products intended to capture a "true" likeness not things with artistic likeness.

As for products not sole controlled by marvel that's where it gets even more complex. (And there's a dozen other steps to just the marvel ones...if you want to know detail let me know)

With xmen after x3/last stand the relationship with marvel got really bad. So as a direct f-you to marvel fox refused to aquire actor likeness rights for any films after that. ("The wolverine", first class, DOFP) So if ANY company wanted to make products they had to negotiate a contract with marvel first. Then Fox. And then each actor whose character and likeness they wanted to use. This is not a normal thing. Actors that played mystique and magneto declined to sign any likeness agreements. Period. The actor that played professor X was open but also wanted high fees and took to long to do approval/disapproval of prototypes to make a product viable. But despite all this marvel and fox both agreed to hundreds of licenses agreements for all three movies. There's no "freeze". It's bloggers with no real understanding drawing links when none are there.

Since DOFP though fox and marvel have been working on a Sony type deal. If not that at least better relationship. I have heard fox has required likeness rights for the next film from the new actors. (Jean, cyclops, ect) and this will be jenniferclawerence last xmen film. Going forward it should be a little easier. But xmen have never been high end movers on merchandise. Despite what people often think. So we will see.

yeah i forgot about this line actually, sad isn't. I want to see how that punisher figure turns out but with ssc lvl of quality lately i'm not sure i care anymore.

Hopefully they will have all the figures from the teaser at Comic Con. Looking forward to this line. Movie figures are cool but, I'm more of a comic fan.

Beetlejuice will be at SDCC, so there's a good chance we'll see more from this line as well.

I'm waiting on Doctor Doom myself. I doubt we'll ever get one from Hot Toys (and if they make a version from the upcoming FF movie I won't be interested) but Sideshow's planned comic style Doom will fit in with my Hot Toys display pretty well, since he doesn't have a human headsculpt that could potentially look out of place next to Hot Toys' super-realistic actor portraits. Hopefully Doom will be shown at Comicon.

Would have bought the 3A Doom if it wasn't for Ashley Wood's silly insistence on giving every figure duck feet.

Ummm guys, wasn't Wolverine put on indefinite hold because of the Disney/Fox dispute? I think because it wasn't far enough along like Deadpool, it's a no go.

Ummm guys, wasn't Wolverine put on indefinite hold

Well nothing of the sort has ever been communicated from Sideshow. You might be thinking of some bruhaha with XM Studios which may or may not have anything to do with Fox and Marvel - it's pure speculation.

Back