SSC Batman 1/6 figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black and grey just seems to make more sense as something Batman would wear if he was stalking around in the night trying to strike fear into criminals. Powder blue... not so much. Although, this is really a Jim Lee Hush version without the Jim Lee sculpted head. The body and everything else matches.

Yeah he was. Sure he was the "Bat-Man", but he was still a Batman nonetheless. It laid the groundwork, no 1939/1940, no "Batman".

yes and no. a better building analogy is that the first 6 issues of the comic ( 39-40) picked the location where batman would be built. 7-12, including the first appearence of robin, and the inclusin of his parrents getting murdered infront him as part of his history would be the foundation.

the first six appearences of Batman were still just a clone of "the Shadow". it wasn't till the 7th that bob Kane started getting creative.

I'd love a figure with the original design, purple gloves and all.

BB

:goodpost:
Me too.
Someone did a 39 Bats recently on the customs board and it was great. Lerath is wrong 9 times for everytime hes right, so his stance on no one wanting a 39 does not surprise me in the least. :lol

Never said that, I said that I DOUBT anyone on this board is nostalgic for it. consdiering that to be nostalgic for it, you would need to have been around when it was new... so reading comics in 39-40 would make you around 9-12 then, meaning such a person would be close to 100 years old now.

people CAN like it, it is a neat design. I even LOVE that it was inforporated into the mythos as a costume worn by thomas wayne at a costume party when bruce was VERY young.

But being nostalgic for it is something else entirely.

yes and no. a better building analogy is that the first 6 issues of the comic ( 39-40) picked the location where batman would be built. 7-12, including the first appearence of robin, and the inclusin of his parrents getting murdered infront him as part of his history would be the foundation.

the first six appearences of Batman were still just a clone of "the Shadow". it wasn't till the 7th that bob Kane started getting creative.

Eh, it was still Batman no matter how you cut it. There's no such thing as "one, true Batman", anyway. There's hundreds of different versions of the character.

1939 had,

Batman, the weird vigilante detective
Bruce Wayne, the bored socialite
Gordon
Batarang
Silk Rope
Batgyro
Death of his parents as motivation
Bat as an omen for inspiration
Criminals that were a superstitious and cowardly lot
Dedicating his life to warring on all criminals

That's Batman, or "a Batman" anyway.

batmankillscrooks.jpg

Eh, it was still Batman no matter how you cut it. There's no such thing as "one, true Batman", anyway. There's hundreds of different versions of the character.

1939 had,

Batman, the weird vigilante detective
Bruce Wayne, the bored socialite
Gordon
Batarang
Silk Rope
Batgyro
Death of his parents as motivation
Bat as an omen for inspiration
Criminals that were a superstitious and cowardly lot
Dedicating his life to warring on all criminals

That's Batman, or "a Batman" anyway.

Thomas Wayne's Death is the START of the REAL batman.

Before that point ( Detective comics 33, November 1939 ) He ( Batman) was another Gun-toting vigilante, who was nothing more than a ripoff of the Shadow.

Issue 33 is the 7th "batman" comic. YES, I Will grant you that it was published in 39. Though towards the end. That's the turning point, however, that i was talking about. Before that point, He's just a vigilante Punishing criminals for reasons we don't really know.

Yes, we had the "moody billionare about town Bruce wayne." Who was derived/Based on Lamont Cranston, the Wealthy alterego of the Shadow. Who also fought crime with a special car, Gadgets, a mask and cape, and dual weilding 45's.

After issue 6, Bob Kane set about making his "batman" character differnt from the shadow. He introduced the Wayne murders, Which bruce dedicates his life to justice becuase of. the gadgets got weirder, and we eventualy get a sidekick. At some point, Bob retcons the guns out of the comics as well.. Though, while he had them, he allmost never shot them AT people. he more used them to scare people, shoot out lights, and similar acts.

More "bat-facts"
Batman's home was first named as "Gotham City" in Detective Comics #48 in 1940, and before that Batman lived in "Metropolis" or just New York. The Bat-signal didn't appear until Detective Comics #60 in 1942. The Batcave didn't appear until 1948, and prior to that Batman just had a secret hangar for the Batplane and a deserted barn connected to Wayne Manor by a secret passageway. Prior to the appearance of the Bat-signal, Batman covers frequently depicted a giant moon (which was frequently bright yellow) behind Batman.

Before that point ( Detective comics 33, November 1939 ) He ( Batman) was another Gun-toting vigilante, who was nothing more than a ripoff of the Shadow.

Issue 33 is the 7th "batman" comic. YES, I Will grant you that it was published in 39. Though towards the end. That's the turning point, however, that i was talking about. Before that point, He's just a vigilante Punishing criminals for reasons we don't really know.

Yes, we had the "moody billionare about town Bruce wayne." Who was derived/Based on Lamont Cranston, the Wealthy alterego of the Shadow. Who also fought crime with a special car, Gadgets, a mask and cape, and dual weilding 45's.

After issue 6, Bob Kane set about making his "batman" character differnt from the shadow. He introduced the Wayne murders, Which bruce dedicates his life to justice becuase of. the gadgets got weirder, and we eventualy get a sidekick. At some point, Bob retcons the guns out of the comics as well.. Though, while he had them, he allmost never shot them AT people. he more used them to scare people, shoot out lights, and similar acts.

'Tec 27 > *

I mainly dislike HT for their soulless figures, but the tailoring on those things is effing magic, and this one admittedly has a more "alive" HS IMO than HT's, but the suit is kind of, plain and the cape isn't really shining either.

I'm just curious what soulless figures means?

There is no "real Batman", he's a fictional character.

I do know this is the first Batman though,

87_4_000027.jpg

Shadow ripoff, Zorro ripoff, Nosferatu ripoff, whatever. Still "Batman". Still the character created by a jewish kid and his "ghost writer" that he ripped off.

All of these issues were created in under a year by the same artist and writers. Same Batman.

We don't know that Bruce Wayne is Batman until the end of the first issue he appears in, does that mean that he isn't Batman until that final panel?

Don't forget about Zorro, and The Scarlet Pimpernel who predates them all.

Batman was essentially a rip off, of a rip off, of a rip off.

He killed a dude by shooting him while he was a sleep. He shot down Hugo Strange's men in cold blood. He shot an explosive with a pistol. He had a holster that housed a gun, right next to his "silk rope".

Still Batman.

He's still as much a Batman as the 50s ****, smiling Sprang one was. You know, the one that fought Rainbow monsters and threatened to paddle Bat-mites little ***.

They're all Batman. There's not one real one, but hundreds.

He killed a dude by shooting him while he was a sleep.

Never happened.

He DID , however, Kill a vampire with a silver bullet.
killer01.jpg

batman-2.jpg

I know he used his pistols to DRIVE AWAY Strange's men, he did not "gun them down"

He did "creatively disarm a bomb" AND Used it to attract police on occasion.

batman-5-thumb-465x220-189009.jpg

IT's also worth noting that allmost ALL of those early batman stories were LITERAL Copies, panels lifted, merged, or flipped to Create those comics from The Shadows Partners of Peril book.
killer04.jpg

All that said, YES< early batman DID kill. Usualy with his fists, and feet, or Pulling a mook into the fire of another mook and using the first mook as a human shield.

Why is the cowl piece that was shown in pics at SDCC last year now gone? The cloth cape neck just looks off...at 200 this may be a pass...I was down for it the way it looked in 2012, not so much now.

yeah i agree with that point. that one aspect really bothers me alot. if i pass on this it would essentially be cause of that. a shame cause i really wanted a comic version bats for my catwoman. :(

I'll agree, there is no "REAL" batman. I used the incorrect term. but there is ONE Definiteive Version, which ALL others will be weighed against.

batman2.jpg

Back