SSC Batman 1/6 figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're definitely overpriced (all Sideshow is, in my opinion), but the SS DC line (again in my opinion) was grossly underrated. There were several excellent figures, and even the ones that were most criticized by people on the internet (Supes and GL - most of whom didn't own the figures) are actually pretty good for what they are. Just overpriced. Too bad, I was looking forward to Flash, and possibly WW and Aquaman...

Sure, but the terrible and brittle bodies on Catwoman and Harley didn't help either. Or that Sideshow ignored it since they sold their stock. No offence, but they ruined the line and I don't feel the Marvel equivalent is that much better.

They're definitely overpriced (all Sideshow is, in my opinion), but the SS DC line (again in my opinion) was grossly underrated. There were several excellent figures, and even the ones that were most criticized by people on the internet (Supes and GL - most of whom didn't own the figures) are actually pretty good for what they are. Just overpriced. Too bad, I was looking forward to Flash, and possibly WW and Aquaman...

That's a pretty contradictory post to be honest... there are lots of great, cheap reliable cars out there to buy – you'd be p@£$ed though, if the dealer tried to charge you Ferrari prices for them!
- as I already said, quality of the Batman and Joker is fantastic... but it's not Hot Toys quality... problem is, SSC charge HT money!
As a good example, look at DamToys Universal Soldier, or Blitzway's Ghostbusters - both similarly priced, yet quality is far better, and accessories are far better.
The Superman and GL I think looked great (well not GL's costume) and I would have bought them if priced at about $100... and that's the whole problem!

It's not contradictory at all. If anything, your response is hyperbole. To suggest that comparing the SS DC line to Hot Toys, is like comparing a Toyota Corolla (cheap, reliable) to a Ferrari is ridiculous. You're suggesting that the SS figures should be 1/5 the price of the Hot Toys, which isn't the case. If an average Hot Toys is $200, the SS figure shouldn't be $40. Even suggesting $100 should be the price of the Superman figure is silly. It's an excellent figure with a ton of accessories.
If you want to compare to cars, I would maintain that buying a SS figure is like buying a higher end Lincoln, or Lexus, and a HT is a Mercedes.
Also, keep in mind that Hot Toys isn't making these kinds of figures. They generally only make movie/TV versions of these characters. I tend to compare the SS figures to Medicom as they tend to be the two companies which make comic-style 1/6 figures. Should the SS figures be the same price range as Hot Toys. No. Should they be more expensive than Medicom. Yes. In my opinion, there is a quality difference between SS and Medicom. For those of us who aren't customizers, we are forced to pay slightly inflated prices for the figures we want. Nothing contradictory at all....

To me so far the company making the best costumed super hero figures is Mezco. Too bad they are only 1/12 but hey, if there is a void in the 1/6 superhero department I believe someone will fill it. The SSC figure line has all the characteristics of a toyline, not a collectibles line. I do not think they ever said these were based on comic books as they are not based on any specific storyline or comic book artist. As maligned as Medicom is at least they are based on actual comics. If you look at their Superman figures the New 52 looks different from Red Son and they both look different from Hush. Three Superman figures, 3 unique headsculpts. As much as I've fallen out of love with RAH I have to respect that. I do not want Sideshow versions of my favorite DC and Marvel characters; I want DC and Marvel interpretations of my favorite DC and Marvel characters. Until someone makes them I'll bide my time.

To me so far the company making the best costumed super hero figures is Mezco. Too bad they are only 1/12 but hey, if there is a void in the 1/6 superhero department I believe someone will fill it. The SSC figure line has all the characteristics of a toyline, not a collectibles line. I do not think they ever said these were based on comic books as they are not based on any specific storyline or comic book artist. As maligned as Medicom is at least they are based on actual comics. If you look at their Superman figures the New 52 looks different from Red Son and they both look different from Hush. Three Superman figures, 3 unique headsculpts. As much as I've fallen out of love with RAH I have to respect that. I do not want Sideshow versions of my favorite DC and Marvel characters; I want DC and Marvel interpretations of my favorite DC and Marvel characters. Until someone makes them I'll bide my time.

I agree the Mezco line is great. Like you say, too bad they are 1/12, as I find that it throws the proportions and materials off. To me, those look like toys. I still find that the SS ones look like Collectibles, and non-collectors who have seen my collection don't think they are toys (unlike some MP Transformers for example). Sideshow very much said that these are based on comics. It's called the DC Comics line, and even in the description of the Batman figure it states "Inspired by a number of timeless comic book appearances". I've read and participated in those debates on the forum before, so I understand the desire for a figure based on a specific artist and specific comic. But I'm not going to waste anyone's time by rehashing the reasons for a generic, non-artist specific version. It's obvious that these are comic design (as opposed to Movie or TV versions).
I wish that Mezco was making high-quality 1/6 versions. Like SS, I'm not happy with all of the Mezco design choices, but I love the commitment to the line and a huge variety of characters!

This was pm'ed to me and I thought I'd address it here. The pictures I posted were from a Photobucket account and can't be viewed so I'll repost for anyone else interested.

Hi I saw your older post about using the Phicen as a replacement for the sideshow Batman. Would you have a pic to compare the stock Sideshow body to the Phicen? I'n curious to know which is more muscular, and taller in height.

Not at the moment and I can't see it happening anytime soon because it is stored away for the time being.

OK thanks for the quick reply....if you don't mind me asking, do you remember if they were similar in size or was one noticeably bigger than the other?

The Phicen body just seems more to have more volume and that can have to do with the fact that it is made of silicone. You will have a very difficult time getting the suit on. (I didn't use talc). I find it to be a visually excellent looking body for the suit and the main difference in size is the torso. Think Arnold Schwarzengger in Conan. It will be a tight fit and I assume will be painstaking to sew closed.

Height-wise it's similar. The Sideshow arms are larger and cartoonish which is why I did not care for the figure.

You will need to modify the head and hand holes because the Phicen body uses metal ball joints which are too big for the head. The gloves are slightly loose iirc.

Pics reposted.

R4RbCju.jpg

zR3Rs9U.jpg

FlhMzvK.jpg

CW30CFW.jpg

vQENc24.jpg

qBb0TLg.jpg

VtNn4hf.jpg

onudbyN.jpg

XKq1dMd.jpg

^damm
That looks awesome.
Really love the way the blue cap belt looks with everything

Good catch. It's much better than the Sideshow yellow belt. As an illustrator I can't understand the chunky aspect of that design but then it's Sideshow. The most athletic looking Batman is drawn by Neal Adams and I gravitate towards that aesthetic but also like Frank Miller rendition of the Dark Knight which has heavily influenced Batman v Supes suit.

I was really hoping SS would be continuing with the comic-style Justice League, what with the movie coming out. I thought their Flash had a lot of promise, and certainly based on some of the Star Wars figs, I think they could do a pretty good comic-style Cyborg, and a more traditional Aquaman. Oh well...

Hey for the folks that have this figure, does it have the same problem as the female figures where the crotch completely breaks apart because of the thigh joints?

Hey for the folks that have this figure, does it have the same problem as the female figures where the crotch completely breaks apart because of the thigh joints?

Nope. I have both blue and black versions. Neither have broken as long as I had them

Does anyone know the shade of blue (or a close likeness to it) used for the long eared head? The paint on the 'cheekbones' part of the mask has started to fade or maybe rubbed off a bit and I'd like to touch it up.

Back