1/6 SSC 1:6 Batman - Gotham Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC BATMAN Gotham Knight

last time i checked all black and grey batman had the short ears.

unless there aiming for anniversary comic 27

if so the costume again is all wrong

There are definitely black/grey versions of Batman with long ears (not quite this long). I don't have any pics to post, but I am looking at a comic right now with that. Depends on the artist...
I think the length of the "long-ear" sculpt on the blue one is just fine. Like you say, maybe a different belt, and certainly different accessories...

Looks kinda like a Kelley Jones Batman.

A rehash that I will skip on.

Where are Flash and Green Lantern?

I don't mind the long ears, and if this has the same alternate head as the previous version, that will be okay. I just never liked the body, though--the legs seemed too stubby. We'll see when the full reveal hits.

Waiting in line behind a bunch of Batman-related collectibles, as per usual. We already got Batman V1, Joker, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, and we'll get Batman V2, and probably Riddler, Penguin, Book Worm, Clock King, and Crazy Quilt, and then Flash. Batman V3 and 4, about a dozen more supporting characters, then GL.

I like Kelley Jones. This is not a Kelley Jones Batman. This is easily the worst head sculpt I've seen on any Batman figure in this scale. Doesn't look like any Batman I've ever seen.

Yeah, where are the Flash and Green Lantern. I like Batman as much as anyone, but I want the other DC characters as well.

So it's basically the same as their first 1/6 except the black and grey color scheme?

No, upon further inspection the belt is different, the head sculpt obviously so and bat logo is as well.

Can't wait til next week so we can see what interchangeables this comes with.

It'll come with a short eared head, I guarantee it and I wouldn't be shocked if it came with the same accessories and possibly a new Exclusive.

Is it really that much to ask for them to make a figure based off a story arc or artist?

I'm sure that is coming. Sideshow is making these interpretational figures but DC Direct started making their first wave of figures and then went to artist interpretations before the line ended, I guarantee you that down the line we'll get specific Batmen done to the scales of their artists. As of right now though we'll get the "interpretations"

This is based off of a story

Nope. I seriously doubt it.

Reminds me of the Kelly Jones Batman.

Even there it doesn't work, Kelley Jones' Batman is much more stylized. The ears aren't long enough and even here he doesn't look as "grizzled" as the preview.

haunted-gotham_1024.jpg

This looks to be an "older" Batman from the sculpt.

There are way too many other DC figures I'd like to see before a variant is released. Do you think this may a Comic-Con exclusive?

Nope, SDCC Exclusive usually start in April first to be shown and sometime they don't show or preview them at all. Not to mention that SSC has said that SDCC Exs are supposed to be items that collectors would have but wouldn't feel their collections destroyed for not having. A black and grey Batman is still too popular not to be a regular release. I would expect an Earth-2 or Flashpoint styled Batman that people would love but not care about not having as things like Exs.

well of all the other possible Batman interpretations that we could have got this finishes about last for me.

reminds me a lot of the PF statue at first glance. I'm not going to knock it, all of their figures have been great so far. no reason to suggest this won't either.

Mike, I didn't mean the face, so much as the long ears. My first reaction to the teaser were the ghastly "vampire" Kelly Jones Batman from the 90s covers. All he's missing are some canine fangs. I also got some Brian Bolland vibes.

image.jpg

On another note, whatever became of these?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Some of those concepts looked really cool.

They're really over doing it with the "ugly Batman" aren't they. Originally I thought the face and eyes on their first Batman was a little over done (took a while to get used to), but man, after this new one, the first actually looks normal. I don't even want to think about what Bruce Wayne looks like under that mask.

Last edited:

Well, I'm going to wait and see the whole thing before passing judgement. I'm hoping for a alt face and ears because this is the color costume I've been hoping for.

Digging the long ears! But the mouth makes him look old. Hopes it just harsh shadows making it worse.

He does looks like the Kelley Jones Batman, but eeeh, not feeling it, if they're gonna use the same parts I hope at least they give him a huge ass cape to cover up the bad proportions :lol

It's funny that some people are like:

"Well the face looks not that great, but if I get this figure I can still get a custom face!"

Guys, the face is the ONLY thing we see on the picture so far and you are already not happy with that. Even if there was a decent body under that cape, I can not understand how you are willing to spend so much money on doll that you are not 100% satisfied with.

If you want to make SS do more traditional Batmen, then stop buying their artistic interpretations. Obviously the first release sold really well and based on that they concluded that people like their take on Batman. Now they are taking even more artistic freedom with this figure since they are seeing a market for this stuff.

Long story short:

Don't consider buying a 200 bucks figure with a face sculpt you can't stand.

EDIT:

Personally I think they are doing the right thing. Comic accurate figures do not lend them to this scale in my opinion. The reason why someone would design a figure in 1/6 opposed to 1/12 is so that hey can get more detail in there. For likenesses of real human beings like actors this makes sense. There is a lot of detail in faces that is difficult to capture in a smaller scale. Also as humans we are super good at telling when a human face is 'off' so getting the details right is super important.

Upping the scale up on a comic character makes not so much sense since the characters have much less detail when compared to humans. in order to make these figures still look good they had to add details - and you can't argue that there is not a ton of detail in the face of this particular batman. They are trying to strike a balance between comic accuracy and realism. However, this is really difficult since - as a said - we are really good in telling when a face looks off.

Conclusion: SS tries do to the right thing. However the balance between comic book style and realism is hard to find.

damn it ssc you done it again... you give us mermaidman ...i mean superman now you give us barnacle boy .... i meeann batman,,

I don't think the cowl sculpt is bad but I am not a fan of the long ears and the face plate.

Speaking of the face plate, the distance between the top lip to his cowl seems way too large. I wonder if it's interchangeable with the previous neutral face plate.

Shame Sideshow couldn't have given us a sculpt similar to the Medicom Flashpoint one
Toy-Fair-2015-Diamond-Previews-041.jpg

Last edited:
Back