SS Marvel Statues: Which Ones will Withstand the Test of Time and Finance?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man-thing, Venom and Skaar are potential mega grail.But not yet.

Man-thing = sleeper hit for true connaisseur of this hobby.

I'd say the Gambit PF Ex is already at grail status. £175 retail saw one sell for just under £700 last month. Thats 4x the original value. For that kind of money I could be tempted to part with mine, but I just love it to damn much, and as was pointed out earlier. I doubt we'll ever see another Gambit of this quality.

Yikes, forgot Man-Thing and Gambit as potential hits on this one!

Fellow statue collectors, friendly reminder and clarification:

1. Sideshow Marvel Statues only

2. SS Marvel statues which have, or will, maintain twice the price of original SS prices

3. This includes Marvel statues SS has produced from day1 to current day and taking into account statues which SS will produce over time.

Look at what has happened to the IM, selling for over 1000 at one point, but because of releases (quality releases later on) and recasting, price has dropped dramatically.

Where as Hulk, Doom, Venom 1:1, Spidey, they have survived these!

Which Marvel Statues produced by Sideshow (not Hot Toys, etc) will survive the test of time and endure all the new pieces coming out, recasting etc.

Potentially, I am adding Gambit, Man-Thing and Skaar Exc, as statues which may hit this grail status over time.

Red Skull PF/EX is another one I would add. Unfortunately, I just have the reg. but it is a great example of how mixed media should be applied to statues. +1 for Gambit PF and Thor PF, as well.

I think another test of time is the going rate of a Regular also. With a potential grail like Gambit even the Regular is around double price or harder to find recently. Skaar will be a better contender in 2 years or so when the Regular is Sold Out and going for more.

In the end nothing is completely safe. For Doom, a new one with a standing pose might bring the original down in value if it turns out well. But maybe not by much. The original had appeal for a reason, and not just because it was the only Doom PF. Same for Gambit. He's in a half museum/action pose. A full action pose may or may not affect the original, it depends on the sculpt. Even so, the original's pose wasn't too little or too much. Maybe a newer one can't affect it's value. Cap, too. A newer Classic Cap PF with a different but good pose might affect the original, but maybe not. Or if the pose is too similar, how would that affect the original's value? We'll see soon with Red Skull since the new sculpt doesn't seem too different from the original.

I'd say the Gambit PF Ex is already at grail status. £175 retail saw one sell for just under £700 last month. Thats 4x the original value. For that kind of money I could be tempted to part with mine, but I just love it to damn much, and as was pointed out earlier. I doubt we'll ever see another Gambit of this quality.

Whoa it's going for that much already? Nice! Gambit will only go up from here.

So is Venomsaurus rare and valuable? Only 175 was made for the ex. :monkey1

I got 99 of them sitting in strorage!! I need to get the other 76. Wait those may still be available with Sideshow.

Last edited:
I think another test of time is the going rate of a Regular also. With a potential grail like Gambit even the Regular is around double price or harder to find recently. Skaar will be a better contender in 2 years or so when the Regular is Sold Out and going for more.

In the end nothing is completely safe. For Doom, a new one with a standing pose might bring the original down in value if it turns out well. But maybe not by much. The original had appeal for a reason, and not just because it was the only Doom PF. Same for Gambit. He's in a half museum/action pose. A full action pose may or may not affect the original, it depends on the sculpt. Even so, the original's pose wasn't too little or too much. Maybe a newer one can't affect it's value. Cap, too. A newer Classic Cap PF with a different but good pose might affect the original, but maybe not. Or if the pose is too similar, how would that affect the original's value? We'll see soon with Red Skull since the new sculpt doesn't seem too different from the original.

Yeah i was going to mention the reg Gambit PF going up in value. It's easily one of the best PF's going.

I'd go with

Thor pf

Iron man Iv maquette although might be affected by a new armour in 1/4

Hulk pf

Skaar just because of the little details make it awesome

Go ahead and check the aftermarket prices on both pieces. Man-Thing is far more expensive and harder to find than a Thing PF.

I helped my LCS owner score a Man-Thing Com off of a board member here. It cost him a pretty penny. Only 300 of them were made in total. That alone makes this pieces rare and valuable. This beast will only get harder to find and more expensive to secure over time. The super low ES alone guarentees that.

:goodpost: i own a man thing to :hi5:

Wow, some more mentioned by members which I did not consider and are worthy: spidey vs hulk duos, x-men vs sentinel dios, and red skull. Sorry I did not quote the members who mentioned them, I am on a mobile and slower than molasses when texting on my phone!

Wow, some more mentioned by members which I did not consider and are worthy: spidey vs hulk duos, x-men vs sentinel dios, and red skull. Sorry I did not quote the members who mentioned them, I am on a mobile and slower than molasses when texting on my phone!

That's just silly! molasses can't text!

baldie the copycatroll at it again :lol

copy_cat.jpg

We just need some good 1/5 comiquette release from SSC and we'll get em "1/4 or Fail" thingy again.

Hmmm, they, SSC, should release a 1/5 comiquette with connecting base so they can introduce some versus dios. Like Hulk vs Thing or Dr. Doom vs FF4.

Long live 1/5 Comiquette!! :devil

Back