SS Marvel Statues: Which Ones will Withstand the Test of Time and Finance?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dude, man thing is awesome (another one I own) whats wrong with you... only 500 of them with no dual edition, one of sideshows finest

It's like the Thing PF EX. Though it's an awesome piece, it will never be "grail" status especially when the fact that Man-Thing is probably a "C" character at best.

It's like the Thing PF EX. Though it's an awesome piece, it will never be "grail" status especially when the fact that Man-Thing is probably a "C" character at best.

Go ahead and check the aftermarket prices on both pieces. Man-Thing is far more expensive and harder to find than a Thing PF.

I helped my LCS owner score a Man-Thing Com off of a board member here. It cost him a pretty penny. Only 300 of them were made in total. That alone makes this pieces rare and valuable. This beast will only get harder to find and more expensive to secure over time. The super low ES alone guarentees that.

Go ahead and check the aftermarket prices on both pieces. Man-Thing is far more expensive and harder to find than a Thing PF.

I helped my LCS owner score a Man-Thing Com off of a board member here. It cost him a pretty penny. Only 300 of them were made in total. That alone makes this pieces rare and valuable. This beast will only get harder to find and more expensive to secure over time. The super low ES alone guarentees that.

So is Venomsaurus rare and valuable? Only 175 was made for the ex. :monkey1

:exactly: This is the best PF I own. I own a lot of so called "grails." Skaar is just awesome in every way.

Even though Skaar isn't a major character, the sculpt is so well done and I think by most accounts everyone has received a well painted piece.

Also Skaar has one of the best uses of PF materials imo, it just comes off as natural on the sculpt.

The Spidey and Punisher cams are already going for double or more than their retail price, I think they will both stay up there.

The guy whos laughing about man thing after market value doesnt have a clue... Maybe he should check ebay prices before posting dumb smilies...its not all about 1st tier characters always commanding the best prices... Its also about quality of the sculpt, paint and details...Man-thing is now impossible to buy and also weight a ton.Guy with ridiculous smileys doesnt have a clue.Anyway after 15 years in this hobby,I dont care much if ridiculous guy with smiley doesnt have a clue.

Man-thing = sleeper hit for true connaisseur of this hobby.

The guy whos laughing about man thing after market value doesnt have a clue... Maybe he should check ebay prices before posting dumb smilies...its not all about 1st tier characters always commanding the best prices... Its also about quality of the sculpt, paint and details...Man-thing is now impossible to buy and also weight a ton.Guy with ridiculous smileys doesnt have a clue.Anyway after 15 years in this hobby,I dont care much if ridiculous guy with smiley doesnt have a clue.

:stick I pressume you are talking about me? :wave I don't know about impossible to buy. Its original price tag was $500 and now it goes for about $700-$800 after market prices. IMO, thats not big money....and yes I do know what I am talking about :lecture

Last edited:
So is Venomsaurus rare and valuable? Only 175 was made for the ex. :monkey1

If it starts selling for around $800 in the aftermaket then the answer is yes. Until then, all bets are off. :wink1:

Seriously though, Man-Thing is an amazing piece. I didn't realize how incredible it was until my friend unboxed him and set it up. I'm not a fan of the character but if I was, there is no way in hell I wouldn't own this piece. EVERYTHING about that statue is unreal. Paint apps, size, pose, and sculpt are top notch on that piece.

If it starts selling for around $800 in the aftermaket then the answer is yes. Until then, all bets are off. :wink1:

Seriously though, Man-Thing is an amazing piece. I didn't realize how incredible it was until my friend unboxed him and set it up. I'm not a fan of the character but if I was, there is no way in hell I wouldn't own this piece. EVERYTHING about that statue is unreal. Paint apps, size, pose, and sculpt are top notch on that piece.

I have seen this in person & yes it's a fantastic statue. But to call it a "grail" is a little far stretch though since it has probably never gone over $1k. The ES was set low because of 2 factors (1) Character (2) Price tag. I would not put this even close to Doom, Hulk, Cap or Thor PF which are those have sold for 3 to 5 times it's retail price. This hasn't even gone 2x its original price. This is very similar to the Abomination PF. Fantastic size and detail & yet it's value is not there comparing to true "grail" statues.

The terms "elite" & "grail" is used way too much by some peeps here. JMHO

Last edited:
I have seen this in person & yes it's a fantastic statue. But to call it a "grail" is a little far stretch though since it has probably never gone over $1k. The ES was set low because of 2 factors (1) Character (2) Price tag. I would not put this even close to Doom, Hulk, Cap or Thor PF which are those have sold for 3 to 5 times it's retail price. This hasn't even gone 2x its original price. This is very similar to the Abomination PF. Fantastic size and detail & yet it's value is not there comparing to true "grail" statues.

The terms "elite" & "grail" is used way too much by peeps here. JMHO

I had the this statue, just sold it for profit but you are correct VS, if it's not what you like let it go

The terms "elite" & "grail" is used way too much by some peeps here. JMHO

I never really called it a grail but it is inching it's way along. It's at about $800 now and I think it will become more expensive and harder to aquire down the line. I agree that he is a "C" list character. However, I'm fairly sure there are more than 300 Man-Thing fans in the world who would like to own this one day. The fact that they are getting so hard to find and look so great leads me to believe that it may reach that grail status one day. As for your Abomination comparison. I disagree. That statue looks like a Gremlin on streroids. It's nowhere near as nice as Man-Thing IMO.

Don't forget, all the pieces that you mentioned didn't become grails overnight. Many of them took a very long time to sell out and could be had in the aftermarket for very reasonable prices soon after their release. It took time. I do agree that Man-Thing is not in the class of the other pieces you mentioned. That doesn't mean it can't get there.

Grails are not easily attainable and cost quite a bit of coin. Well, Man-Thing is already hard to obtain and his price is inching upward slowly. It wouldn't suprise me if this starts selling for more than a G soon.

The last legit auction Man-Thing went for $720 shipped, and that was after nearly a year of no listings. Since then there have been two Buy-It-Now listings at higher prices.

I'd say the Gambit PF Ex is already at grail status. £175 retail saw one sell for just under £700 last month. Thats 4x the original value. For that kind of money I could be tempted to part with mine, but I just love it to damn much, and as was pointed out earlier. I doubt we'll ever see another Gambit of this quality.

Back