Statue SS Conan the Barbarian Fury of the Beast Dio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my opinion, huge dio and not many in production. In hands picks will tell. They are all good.

jmo, of course- but I honestly believe that the female figure is so amateurishly executed on the ARH dio, that it cheapens the impression of the whole piece by a dramatic percent.
When you take that figure out of the mix, that dio is nearly 100% successful in all areas- and it handily beats Fury Of The Beast in one critical area; optimal display angles. Like The Prize, and unlike this one, you can get visual access to the prime areas of interest from just about all directions.
This is a very cool piece. The size alone makes it noteworthy.
But it's not what I would call a fully successful one.

OTOH, out of all the Conan stautes I've seen so far, FotB has the BEST Conan portrait by a good margin. Which makes it all the more a shame that the composition doesn't afford a better view of it from more reasonable angles.

If the addition of the girl that Troy is sculpting turns out well and fits with the dio, SS Fury of the Beast > ARH Sacrifice for sure.

Even without the girl I still like the FOTB presentation a lot better.

If the addition of the girl that Troy is sculpting turns out well and fits with the dio, SS Fury of the Beast > ARH Sacrifice for sure.

Even without the girl I still like the FOTB presentation a lot better.

Originally I thought the addition of a girl would have been a great idea. But I'm not seeing how or where you could incorporate one that would mitigate the main problem with this piece. Sure, you can throw another figure in there off to the side...and, taken on it's own, it might even be a superior female sculpt. But I'm having a hard time envisioning it looking cohesive...like it would belong there.

Pics aren't ***** with this piece, in person it's fugging awesome. The only problem I have is I wish SS made the weapon non-changeable so I wouldn't change the damn weapons everytime I walk in the room:rotfl

jmo, of course- but I honestly believe that the female figure is so amateurishly executed on the ARH dio, that it cheapens the impression of the whole piece by a dramatic percent.
When you take that figure out of the mix, that dio is nearly 100% successful in all areas- and it handily beats Fury Of The Beast in one critical area; optimal display angles. Like The Prize, and unlike this one, you can get visual access to the prime areas of interest from just about all directions.
This is a very cool piece. The size alone makes it noteworthy.
But it's not what I would call a fully successful one.

OTOH, out of all the Conan stautes I've seen so far, FotB has the BEST Conan portrait by a good margin. Which makes it all the more a shame that the composition doesn't afford a better view of it from more reasonable angles.

I still think the best one has yet to be made and I think many will agree.
Each piece has its advantages, and its disadvantages. This Conan - the Furry has much going for it, the base, the beast. But yes the Conan is just not the main attraction.
Still with so many options, this it the best time to set up a kick butt Conan display with all 3-4 Conan statues coming out.
So instead of complaining do what I do, buy them all so you can display them next to each other.
If you like Conan, let it be your main line in your collection. All of these will look super next to one another.

Sacrifice girl has a butter face, kills it for me. Like the snake though....

A prettier portrait wouldn't make it look any less amateurish. the way the body weight is distributed, the stiffness in the arms...just about every aspect of that figure is not ready for prime time, imo.

A prettier portrait wouldn't make it look any less amateurish. the way the body weight is distributed, the stiffness in the arms...just about every aspect of that figure is not ready for prime time, imo.

If we're gonna talk about body weight distribution, then we can talk about the PF.

We can talk about this later on the ARH Sacrifice thread.
Im sure people can come to their own conclusions about the girl. The Ape is from Troy, the girls face is from Troy, they are both nice in person.

I still think the best one has yet to be made and I think many will agree.

The thing is, every thing about The Sacrifice, with the exception of the female fig, is SO well done! That piece should easily be seen as setting the bar so high that anything else would have trouble coming anywhere close to matching it.
But when you have one element that is so...off, it distorts the perception of just how much of it is so right on.

and that's a real shame.
Been trying to bite my tounge here ever since the reveal hit.
With both of these, I agree there is an awful lot to appreciate. But the negatives to both are also kind of substantial in their own ways.

as far as buying 'em all... :lol. I'm afraid I don't have anywhere near your income ( or living space). by neccessity I have to be a lot more discriminating. I'll admit it's kind of tempting to think of picking Fury up. I know the size and weight alone will make a huge impression. But once that new car smell is gone, I can see where I'm going to find it easy to let go of. And there's the rub, because I think that feeling is going to strike many owners of this as time rolls on. At least enough owners that we will see these come up for sale with much more frequency than The Prize.

Pics aren't ***** with this piece, in person it's fugging awesome. The only problem I have is I wish SS made the weapon non-changeable so I wouldn't change the damn weapons everytime I walk in the room:rotfl

Conan needed a switch out Helmeted head and this woulda been perfecto

The thing is, every thing about The Sacrifice, with the exception of the female fig, is SO well done! That piece should easily be seen as setting the bar so high that anything else would have trouble coming anywhere close to matching it.
But when you have one element that is so...off, it distorts the perception of just how much of it is so right on.

and that's a real shame.
Been trying to bite my tounge here ever since the reveal hit.
With both of these, I agree there is an awful lot to appreciate. But the negatives to both are also kind of substantial in their own ways.

as far as buying 'em all... :lol. I'm afraid I don't have anywhere near your income ( or living space). by neccessity I have to be a lot more discriminating. I'll admit it's kind of tempting to think of picking Fury up. I know the size and weight alone will make a huge impression. But once that new car smell is gone, I can see where I'm going to find it easy to let go of. And there's the rub, because I think that feeling is going to strike many owners of this as time rolls on. At least enough owners that we will see these come up for sale with much more frequency than The Prize.

All good points right here.
You may be right.
Marvel/DC have the market but it so nice and refreshing to see Conan come up and be counted.
As far as ARH Sacrifice, we will make more "Conan alone" piece and much less dioramas with the snake, creating demand for the snake.
Yes people will always sell and no statue line is immune. It's what the market will demand in the future is important to the collector.
Another thing we have going is the dioramas can be different in the future with the Conan as the center of it all! So you can imagine the possibilities!! Ape? Any dead creature? Yes sure why not ;)
Don't get me wrong, love Troys and it's very promising, only time will tell.

Back