Spooktacular 2012 announcement!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With so many giveaways that happen through chat and through the site, plus discounts, freebies, new product announcements, etc. I'm still not seeing how it's seen that Facebook and Twitter somehow dominant the event. Yes, there's more going on through those outlets over the last couple of years (because each has a large fanbase) but there's still tons of goings on for the few that don't participate through social media realms too.

-SideshowAlex

I think most feel like the event should be contained to the main Sideshow site and here. In the begining Spooktacular was about spooky products and fan appreciation/rewards. Now it just feels like a Star Wars/Marvel product hog and plain old advertising via facebook/twitter. Seems to be more focused on expanding the collector base (nothing wrong with that as its needed for any company to survive) and less on rewarding their loyal collectors (what spook used to be).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I still look forward to Spooktacular but seeing newbies that have no clue what Sideshow is until a contest is plopped in their lap just isn't what Spook used to be.

I think because you seemed to announce everything on Facebook first and had a huge presence there but neglected the so called "die hard" fans who are on the message boards, the ones who have been with you the longest, that they felt a little left out. There are a lot of people who don't like Facebook but are religious to the boards and it seems there was a lot more for those fans in the past. Just my opinion.
:exactly:

Spooktacular was weak last year, SDCC was hyped up and a huge letdown (non-product speaking) so I'm not really excited for Spook this year.

I'll participate minimally but the old Spook feeling of being in Chat all day and night and rushing to find freebees and FREAKS helping FREAKS out are long gone.

I think most feel like the event should be contained to the main Sideshow site and here. In the begining Spooktacular was about spooky products and fan appreciation/rewards. Now it just feels like a Star Wars/Marvel product hog and plain old advertising via facebook/twitter. Seems to be more focused on expanding the collector base (nothing wrong with that as its needed for any company to survive) and less on rewarding their loyal collectors (what spook used to be).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I still look forward to Spooktacular but seeing newbies that have no clue what Sideshow is until a contest is plopped in their lap just isn't what Spook used to be.

I have to agree. Spooktacular last year was not as fun as years previous and I think that had to do, at least in part, with a social media focus.

But the 2011 kit was a lot better than the 2010 kit, so that at least was satisfying.

:goodpost:

Good post, Munch!

Signs of times perhaps? And what I mean by that is the fanbase for Sideshow exists in many different places now (here, other boards, Facebook, Twitter, site visitors, etc.). As for rewarding the loyal...I'd say that there are loyal fans throughout all the different 'places' I mentioned (boards, social media, etc.), so why should they be excluded?

And if I look at my big 'ol list of 2011 Spooktacular prize recipients I see that there are (as is always the case) TONS of freaks who walk away with lots of goodies (mainly through chat and right here on the board through random and Mistress giveaways). Which IMO...is AWESOME! I love seeing so many freaks on that list each and every year!

Not trying to start any kind of argument and I do understand where y'all are coming from but just throwing in my two cents on the matter.

-SideshowAlex

I have to agree with you... I used to look very forward to doing the costume pics, and the pumpkins... but this past year was such a let down. All the fun stuff was gone, no more cool videos, no more costume contest, no chat... I was bummed out.

Spook is still cool, if anything for the contests and the reveals... but it is missing so much of what made it incredibly fun as well.

Even though I'm no fan of Facebook and Twitter, I really dont think that's the cause of Spooktacular going downhill. At least in my opinion. For me there is just something else that's missing in the last couple of years, that made the earlier Spooktaculars a lot more fun and exciting. A missing ingredient, that I just can't seem to name at this time.

Subscribed... ;)

But I will say, this will be my fifth Spook, and in that short time, the event has become less fun. Main complaint is that chat contests seem to be announced on FB or otherwise, then the flood comes in, gets their prize, and leaves.

Hope I don't sound ungrateful, because I have scored pretty well in all the past events. The freaks board rules, and I have met and made friends for life here.

The event has just been altered, and I don't feel it was for the better. :(

So is there a charge for this event? This is my first spook event so I ave no clue what we are all talking about. Is this like sdcc? With a bunch of new releases?

So is there a charge for this event? This is my first spook event so I ave no clue what we are all talking about. Is this like sdcc? With a bunch of new releases?

There's no charge, it's free to participate. Your can choose to buy the Readiness Kit though if you'd like.

This sounds like a lot of fun! im a newbie and a first timer as well. This is all gonna be held online stretched out in a few days right guys?

Check the first post in the thread for the dates, but yeah, it should be about seven or so days of fun, prizes, and new preorders and reveals...

Including the new Pinhead and Michael Myers PFs! ;)

Meh.. spook lost it luster about 2 years ago.

I still like the POS and Reveals but thats about it.

Back