Sphero's R2-D2 in scale with Hot Toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it sort of works! It recognises your hand signals relatively well - screen controls are the best of course. Very fun to get it activated to run through the obstacle of other figures, talk abt static displays [emoji23]

Don't mean to necro a thread, but I was curious if anyone had put this guy through the weathering ringer and displays him with their 1/6? I was thinking how fun it would be to have him talk and light up on command when people check out the collection. I'm capable with paints and tools to make it happen. I know the details are a bit softer though, unfortunately.

I weathered mine up have not charged him up in months. just been sitting there. but here is a photo of my r2 weathered all up. IMG_0336.jpg IMG_0337.jpg

Hmm....I really like the dome on him, looks much better than SS's. Even the torso is doable. But there's something about his 'boots' that looks off to me. Interesting. I'll have to think on this more.

I weathered-up my Sphero R2-D2 also! He looks like he just stepped out from the movies!!

38E432FA-0909-4AD3-91A9-D2CD845F379B.jpeg

1A6BE567-ADDA-4244-AC52-104EB08A0D66.jpg

I used powdered graphite smeared all over the panel lines and in the joint spaces along with various colors of Testor’s model paints dry-brushed onto R2. Use tiny, fine haired model paint brushes to simulate the grim & dirt at that proper scale.

I weathered-up my Sphero R2-D2 also! He looks like he just stepped out from the movies!!

Nice job! Do you plan on weathering the dome as well? The pristine looking dome seems a little out of place paired with the weathered body...

@scottpe

Yeah for sure. Probly a light rub of the powdered graphite and a few small white paint chips on the blue of R2’s dome.

I just ordered one of these for $50. I don't have the HT or Sideshow versions, so this is a steal.

And Best Buy online along with the black r2 and BB-9E

At that price it's tempting but I'm wondering whether the new SSC with updated paint apps would be worth waiting for. Just watching ANH again and R2 comes to just under Luke's chest so the Sphero is clearly undersized. But for £55 including taxes and shipping is it really possible to pass up?

At that price it's tempting but I'm wondering whether the new SSC with updated paint apps would be worth waiting for. Just watching ANH again and R2 comes to just under Luke's chest so the Sphero is clearly undersized. But for £55 including taxes and shipping is it really possible to pass up?

Worst case scenario you have a really cool remote control R2D2 in your collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:duff I’ll check it out.

Get yourself one. Mine came in a day early and I am absolutely ecstatic. For $50 this guy is a STEAL. I guess I never realized how big R2 is because he looks just fine next to my 1/6.

Now yes, you forsake the accessories of the SS and the die cast of the HT - but all that goes out the window when he lights up and acts up. Having him in the shelf with the OT characters and suddenly he pipes up, looks around, and wiggles about? That's Star Wars magic. He doesn't look out of place or scale even, at least to my untrained eye. With some controlled weathering, this will more than satisfy my R2 need - the only accessory I miss is the hologram table with Leia.

For those concerned about the lack of weathering, the R2 – Q5 droid is the same price and would seamlessly fit into a 1/6 collection.

Back