Spartacus on Starz (spoilers for US aired episodes!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

Here is the article stating that Spartacus: Vengeance was supposed to originally begun filming in Nov. 2010 but has been delayed. Starz is deciding by the end of this year how to proceed with Season 2 (and whether or not to recast the Spartacus role.)

https://spartacus.ausxip.com/2010/11/starz-to-decide-about-spartacus-recastin.html

And from this article below it says:

Spartacus will appear in the first and last episodes of Gods of the Arena! Doctore will play a Major part in the prequel but not Varro (sadly they couldn't fit him into the story).

And it also has some rough outlines for Season 2 including that a few Episodes were planned to be Flashback episodes of the ludus of Batiatus (Gladiators)

https://www.suite101.com/content/spartacus-blood-and-sand-season-2-news-a265606

Saw an article from a few days ago of a bald Andy Whitfield walking around with his family. No real news but says he is winning the fight with cancer. He looks skinnier but very healthy and I'm positive he'll pull though.

There are 2 trailers and a teaser for Gods of the Arena on Itunes btw.

John Hannah is going to freaking own just like he did in Spartacus. IMO he was the star of the show more than Andy.

Here is the article stating that Spartacus: Vengeance was supposed to originally begun filming in Nov. 2010 but has been delayed. Starz is deciding by the end of this year how to proceed with Season 2 (and whether or not to recast the Spartacus role.)

https://spartacus.ausxip.com/2010/11/starz-to-decide-about-spartacus-recastin.html

And from this article below it says:

Spartacus will appear in the first and last episodes of Gods of the Arena! Doctore will play a Major part in the prequel but not Varro (sadly they couldn't fit him into the story).

And it also has some rough outlines for Season 2 including that a few Episodes were planned to be Flashback episodes of the ludus of Batiatus (Gladiators)

https://www.suite101.com/content/spartacus-blood-and-sand-season-2-news-a265606

Saw an article from a few days ago of a bald Andy Whitfield walking around with his family. No real news but says he is winning the fight with cancer. He looks skinnier but very healthy and I'm positive he'll pull though.

There are 2 trailers and a teaser for Gods of the Arena on Itunes btw.

So the cancer was in full remission and now it's back? Man that's just horrible. I hope Andy keeps his head up and trucks through the treatment and kicks cancer's ass!!!

Right now recasting is might be the only option if they want to get the ball rolling. It sucks, but hopefully they can keep up the success with whoever gets the job.

So the cancer was in full remission and now it's back? Man that's just horrible. I hope Andy keeps his head up and trucks through the treatment and kicks cancer's ass!!!

Right now recasting is might be the only option if they want to get the ball rolling. It sucks, but hopefully they can keep up the success with whoever gets the job.

I'm kind of hoping they wait for Andy to beat his cancer rather than recast the role. Or have S2 be from the view point of another character, like Crixus.

I see Amazon has the Blu Ray set for $33, it sounds like the show is worth picking up at that price?

Who wants a grainy DVD anymore? :lol

I picked it up at Best Buy since it was the same price as Amazon and I had some reward point coupons to use.

Yeah, I am an HD snob. I have a hard time watching SD channels and regular DVD's anymore.

I want to watch my violence and boobies in HD, dammit!

Lol...good point. Some shows like Dexter for example wouldn't really benefit from full HD, but Spartacus has definitely shown that it is much prettier (blood,guts, and boobs??) in 720. I'm so close to ordering the Spartacus set it's not funny. I just can't decide what to use my gift cards for....
Spartacus or Alien Anthology??

If they have to recast I hope whoever it is can bring the heat like Andy did! Cant wait for Gods of the Arena though! :rock

Yeah, I am an HD snob. I have a hard time watching SD channels and regular DVD's anymore.

I want to watch my violence and boobies in HD, dammit!

:exactly::goodpost::exactly:

My cable HD channel block is between 700-900. I almost never watch anything in the lower SD channels.

SS needs to make a few dioramas, "teh heh"

Last edited:

I'm kind of hoping they wait for Andy to beat his cancer rather than recast the role. Or have S2 be from the view point of another character, like Crixus.

I think maybe that's why Starz was said to decide the fate of Season 2 at the end of December. Probably waiting to see how Andy (Spartacus) is doing. The first bout with cancer was only 2-3 months before they said he was back and it's been longer than that the 2nd time now. I really don't think they can recast this, although they could do Flashbacks of the Ludus and Gladiators for several episodes and Spartacus can come back in the last few episodes. We'll know soon I think.

Woud loveto see Hot Toys do Spartacus, Crixxus, Doctore... never happen sadly.

I found this article today on IGN.

According to Deadline, Prison Break's Dominic Purcell has screen-tested for the role of Spartacus in the Starz series Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Yes, as you all know, a world-wide casting call is underway to replace/succeed Andy Whitfield (who had to drop out of the series in order to fully treat non-Hodgkin lymphoma) and Season 2, which is still in pre-production mode, can't officially begin production until the lead role is re-cast.

Will Purcell be the next Spartacus?
Purcell's screen test tape was emailed to the producers of the show, but there's been no casting announcement thus far. There are some who still say that Liam McIntyre (The Men Who Would Be Spartacus) is a serious contender for the role. Also, it's worth noting that if Purcell does somehow land the role it will be ironic since it was his Prison Break co-star, Wentworth Miller who initially expressed interest in it.

Yesterday, we here at IGN ran a story about the Search for the New Spartacus where we spoke with stars Lucy Lawless and John Hannah, along with EP Steven S. DeKnight, about what it will take and what qualities one will need to have in order to fill Whitfield's sizable sandals.

Sorry, but if they recast, they need someone that looks like Andy as Spartacus. Dominic does not.

Sorry, but if they recast, they need someone that looks like Andy as Spartacus. Dominic does not.

:lecture Yeah, Purcell doesn't look like him at all. I haven't seen him in anything since Prison Break, but if he's still big that's a big difference than what Andy looks like.

Back